Back from the dead

Introductions, birthdays, and special announcements.
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Back from the dead

Post by Honey Badger »

Well okay...only sorta.

Howdy, all! It's been, *how long* since I was last active on here? A decade almost? JFC lol. I don't think I have it in me to return to being a properly active member of the community (certainly not to the freakish degree of my youth lmao) buuuuuut I figured I'd drop in here and see what was going on! And leave a few general updates about myself since I've seen a few old names still floating around.

Possibly the biggest thing I've done since I last posted was that I joined the USAF! I'm currently stationed in Texas as a computer programmer though most of my actual job experience has been focused on UX design and scrum mastering rather than hands on keyboard coding. I'm also a TSgt as of this year and that's higher than I ever thought I'd go so that's neat. But the other contender for biggest thing I've done since is: I'm transing my gender! And judging from the signature banners I've seen a few of you with, I'm not the only one either lmfao. So forget whatever name and pronouns I told you 10+ years ago, I go by Chelsea and she/her these days so I guess consider this a soft reintroduction. And as a basically direct result of both these previous two points, I'm dating a fellow trans woman/AF NCO and literally couldn't be happier!

Lastly, on a sadder note, I'm very sorry to hear about Gunny's passing. I didn't know it back when I was still active but I was shocked to learn he was living in my pretty small hometown of New Iberia. What an unbelievably small world we live in.

As an aside, if current me told the version of me that last posted on here *any* of these updates OR that YS went open source, I would not have believed it.
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Re: Back from the dead

Post by waspe414 »

Welcome back. Always nice to see old names returning. Not a whole lot going on here activity-wise, but we're still chugging along
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Foxhound31
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F22

Post by Foxhound31 »

Wait... Gunny passed!? nooo... :cry:
FlankerE102
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-14B and Viggen

Post by FlankerE102 »

Foxhound31 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:10 am Wait... Gunny passed!? nooo... :cry:
I am equally shocked…we never talked, but he seemed like a nice guy.
Honey Badger wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 11:32 pm Well okay...only sorta.

Howdy, all! It's been, *how long* since I was last active on here? A decade almost? JFC lol. I don't think I have it in me to return to being a properly active member of the community (certainly not to the freakish degree of my youth lmao) buuuuuut I figured I'd drop in here and see what was going on! And leave a few general updates about myself since I've seen a few old names still floating around.

Possibly the biggest thing I've done since I last posted was that I joined the USAF! I'm currently stationed in Texas as a computer programmer though most of my actual job experience has been focused on UX design and scrum mastering rather than hands on keyboard coding. I'm also a TSgt as of this year and that's higher than I ever thought I'd go so that's neat. But the other contender for biggest thing I've done since is: I'm transing my gender! And judging from the signature banners I've seen a few of you with, I'm not the only one either lmfao. So forget whatever name and pronouns I told you 10+ years ago, I go by Chelsea and she/her these days so I guess consider this a soft reintroduction. And as a basically direct result of both these previous two points, I'm dating a fellow trans woman/AF NCO and literally couldn't be happier!

Lastly, on a sadder note, I'm very sorry to hear about Gunny's passing. I didn't know it back when I was still active but I was shocked to learn he was living in my pretty small hometown of New Iberia. What an unbelievably small world we live in.

As an aside, if current me told the version of me that last posted on here *any* of these updates OR that YS went open source, I would not have believed it.
Welcome on back! We've got two new squads (USAF and VF-66), plus 2UCW has returned.
I am in EST time and am most often on YSFlight on weekends, excluding holidays.
Kujo
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F-15EX Eagle II

Post by Kujo »

Foxhound31 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:10 am Wait... Gunny passed!? nooo... :cry:
A few years late I think?
Virtual PACAF Viper Demonstration Team | 2019 - 2021
YSFlight / Virtual Blue Spectres | 2015 - 2020
YSFlight Thunderbirds | 2014 - 2018
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

I was actually thinking about messaging you before! You and Gunny were my only fellow Louisianians on HQ back in the day, and I wanted to know if you'd done anything else with that Lafayette Regl map that was contained in his mods archive. Glad to see you're indeed still kicking, and keeping with a sort of HQ tradition, that you've actually gone into the "industry", as it were!

(And yeah, a few of us are now openly trans/gender-questioning. Always great to see someone else living their truth too.)
Kujo wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:06 pm A few years late I think?
Two years late, to be a little more precise. Had to find that out on what would've been his 69th birthday, and the day after we also lost Dale Snodgrass.

I've actually been pondering for a while the idea of making New Iberia's Acadiana Regl into a YS airshow map, mainly as a tribute to him, but it looks like our resident mellivora capensis would also like to see it. Guess we'll just have to see.

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present
Pilot1215
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D

Post by Pilot1215 »

Welcome back! Glad some of the older accounts are still on here.
Tempus Fugit, Memento Mori