I have decided to start a new work in progress thread for a project which me and Vandal have been planning for a while. The map itself will hopefully be an accurate and realistic 1:1 scale map of Great Britain, featuring most major airports and landmarks. In order to complete a map of this size, we will be splitting Great Britain into nine separate areas which will be worked on. Once all areas are complete after many months or even years of hard work, we will be combining the nine areas together. This project is open to the entire community, so we would like to invite any map makers to contribute to the project.
The first area of Britain which we are going to be working on is:
"The South East"
A scenery editor screenshot of the basic outline from the South East area, created by Vandal.
The South East area includes the counties of Hampshire, West Sussex, East Sussex, Kent, Surrey, Berkshire, Isle of Wight and the London Area.
If you wish to get involved in creating airports for this area, a list of the airports within the South East area is below. Once you have completed your scenery, PM either me or Vandal to organise the sending of the map. Your scenery will be added and positioned within the main South East fld file.
-- Completed airports --
- London Heathrow Airport - Modified Stock
- London Gatwick Airport - Modified Stock
- London Biggin Hill Airport - Danny
- Farnborough Airport - Danny
-- Current WIP airports --
- London City Airport - Vandal
- RAF Odiham - Danny
- Bembridge Isle of Wight Airport - Danny
-- Current open airports --
- Lydd Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydd_Airport
- RAF Northolt - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Northolt
- Kent International Manston - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manston_Airport
- Shoreham Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoreham_Airport
- Southampton Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southampton_Airport
- Fairoaks Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairoaks_Airport
- Dunsfold Aerodrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunsfold_Aerodrome
- Redhill Aerodrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redhill_Aerodrome
- Kenley Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAF_Kenley
- Damyns Hall Aerodrome - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damyns_Hall_Aerodrome
- London Heliport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Heliport
- Ascot Racecourse Heliport http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascot_Racecourse_Heliport
- Brimpton Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brimpton_Airfield
- White Waltham Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Waltham_Airfield
- Blackbushe Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbushe_Airport
- MoD Fleetlands Heliport - http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviat ... lands.html
- Lasham Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lasham_Airfield
- Lee On Solent airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNAS_Lee-o ... _Daedalus)
- Army Air Corps Middle Wallop - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Air_C ... dle_Wallop
- Popham Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popham_Airfield
- Thruxton Circuit/airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thruxton_Circuit
- Isle of Wight/Sandown Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Wi ... wn_Airport
- Chichester/Goodwood Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichester ... od_Airport
- Thorney Island airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorney_Is ... st_Sussex)
- Spilstead Farm airfield - http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviat ... eadFm.html
- Challock airfield - http://www.content-delivery.co.uk/aviat ... llock.html
- Lashenden (Headcorn) Airfield - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lashenden_ ... )_Airfield
- Rochester Airport - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rochester_ ... _(England)
For information on airports, including runway length etc.
Detailed satellite imagery.
Satellite imagery and Ordinance Survey maps of airports.
Maps of military airfields.
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=13.html
NATS airport diagrams
http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=14.html
NATS heliport diagrams
Scenery tutorials, credit to Taskforce 58.
Check Vandal's post on British runway markings.
PDF's posted by Gunny of some of Britain's airports.
If you wish to contribute to the project by creating one of the airports listed as open above or an airport which we have not listed which is within the South East area, please reply to this topic and we'll add it to the WIP list. Please feel free to post any work in progress in this thread or any questions about the project or map making.
Danny and Vandal.