Shadows in blender

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Shadows in blender

Post by DavideV » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:22 pm

Ok... here comes the first problem.

https://sites.google.com/site/davidebas ... ects=0&d=1

As you can see in the above picture, I have this strange shadowing on the tails... All was perfect just before cutting to separate the moving parts, when this strange shadows appeared. Do you know how to fix that?

It's not an YSF issue because my .blend file look exactly the same.

Thanks,
Davide.
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)

Martin-Dutchie
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-20A Tigershark

Re: Shadows in blender

Post by Martin-Dutchie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:01 pm

These shadows are normal in YSFlight modding. It is because of the way YSFlight's graphics engine renders shadows. On very sharp edges (your control surfaces and wings) I use the mark sharp and Edgesplit modifier method. What you do is select all the edges that you think need to be separated (cause that will fix the shadow problems), and fire up an Edgesplit modifier. Deselect the separate from angle option, and take a look at your plane in solid view. This view shows you the shades, and how the shading will look like in YSFlight. Add edges that need to be split, and when you are sure it is correct, apply your changes. My advice: Those flaps and ailerons, I assume, consist of one face on the top and bottom, and 2 to cover each side. Instead of using edgesplit, just select the top vertex and press Y, and do the same for the bottom. That will solve all problems regarding that part of your plane. If you covered the holes made by the control surfaces with faces, split those too, but select them all first, not 1 by 1. The elevators on the horizontal stabilizer are a different story, since they're made differently than any regular flap. Edgesplit the rear edge, and split the inside-covering faces with Y , all at the same time. This method is the manual splitting, excellent for loose faces that need to be split entirely, or faces covering the inside of the fuselage, wings, or any other part of the plane, visible through contol surfaces, or by any other reason.

Ofcourse I am always for a chat, and feel free to ask me questions.

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Post by DavideV » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:23 pm

Oh, I didn't know anything about the "mark sharp" and "split"... I just separated them by selecting vertices and pressing "p". I tested your solution and works great ...now, i just need to delete and recreate all the faces of the tails, join the meshes and then splitting again... :o
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)

vincent
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: virtual ones

Post by vincent » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:04 pm

There is a script you can find in Object mode I think, inside the menu "Object" or in Scripts/Objects (unless it be in "Mesh") called Unshadow.
The Unshadow script is better than Martin's method and Shutter's suggestion since it doesn't add extra vertices but play with the fact that vertices can be rounded or not.

For more information, see this tutorial.