Any electricians about?

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Any electricians about?

Post by Timmayx »

As I'm hoping to take part in Dunwich Dynamo (and maybe Exmouth Exodous) next year, I need a good headlight, especially as my current one is barely adequate for being seen, let alone cycling down pitch black country roads.

Saw THIS on Instructables and was wondering about making a similar thing, except with super bright LED's.

Main question is how would I make a rechargeable light, using a mobile phone battery, to power these. Would I just be able to use the battery linked directly to the LED's, or would I need some sort of resistor in the circuit?

Also, I'd want to be able to take the light off and use a normal mobile phone charger to recharge the light. Would there be any problems charging the battery like this?

Another option would be to go THIS route, althought eh bulkiness/expense of batteries is a problem (I know there is at least one other person who has done this, but using an 18V drill batterypack running to a 15V bulb).
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Re: Any electricians about?

Post by waspe414 »

Whether or not you need a resistor will depend on both the LED and the battery. I'm not sure if it's the voltage or the current (or both), but if you badly need a resistor in your circuit, your LED will be quick to tell you by blowing.

Regarding the battery: If you connected it to the LED via a wire, rather than directly, you could put a plug in it for easy removal. Depends if you want the battery solely dedicated to the light or not.

And I think Van is an electrician...
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Timmayx »

Yeah the battery will just be for the light. Thinking of keeping it quite clean, so would have a recharge point on the casing to keep everything clean looking.
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "
vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal »

Awesome 171st pilot
A member from yesteryear!
Also known as Princess Vandel
Seraphim
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Seraphim »

On a side note-you better get yourself a helmet before you start attempting too much night time bike riding-and possibly one of those garish orange reflecting vests. Good luck with the light!
ImageImage
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Timmayx »

Those freelights look good, but I'm not sure how effective they would be, especially in country lanes. That and I don't like flashing headlights, a bright enough headlight will get you seen well enough on the lanes from my experience.

Reflctive jackets and the like can be annoying to other users in pitch black, I'd rather cover my bike in EL wire than use them in the country. Reflective stuff is great around town though, a lot more street lights to reflect off of.
NavyGator
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Prop-Driven civil

Post by NavyGator »

I had to ride back and forth to work in the dark a few years ago, 8.5 miles one way, I would've liked to have had either of those lights
wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 »

I know it's a 3-day bump, but I used to be an "electrician"... I was the electrical circuit designer for my school's Battlebots team. I used this tool once or twice to quickly figure out resistors for LED's, usually for power indicators and the like. I could go into all the math behind figuring out resistors on a parallel circuit, but I'm pretty sure this site would work for your situation:

http://led.linear1.org/led.wiz
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Timmayx »

Tar much Wingz, I'll give it a look.