A note from our moderating team.

Announcements which were previously posted on our Drupal and WordPress blogs.
Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

A note from our moderating team.

Post by Iceman »

Recently, it has become a problem where a couple of select members think that our moderating team is unfair and unjust. I'd like address the issues of JR and the rest of our moderating team here.

I want to first apologize on behalf of the YSFHQ moderating team for any mistakes or semi-trolling posts we have made. As moderators, I understand that it is our duty as staff to be level headed and deal with problems in the most non-offensive way. I also understand that people have been offended by some of the stuff our moderators say, and for that I also apologize. Most of the time, our moderators do not want to openly offend anyone. Finally, I'm aware that halberdier25 (JR) has been causing trouble lately, and I'm aware his moderating style is a bit more...harsh than say mine or Bombcat's moderating style. Please accept our apology.

With that being said, however, I'd also like to say this: I pay for this forum with my own money that comes out of my own damn paycheck, and I don't make a lot. I am a college student selling art to earn money - while I'd like to say it pays well, it's very fluctuating, so the fact that I've donated hundreds of dollars of actual money and even more in time to running this forum and making it work for you all should be enough to stop the shit. But I see there are members who like to take our work for granted, and treat this forum like it's everyone's property. Well, heads up - this is MY fucking property, and I choose to select whoever the fuck I want and make whatever policies I deem fit to keep this place active. My staff team is handpicked from the best of YSP, and they have been running the forum amazingly well. How do you think I feel when I come home to see two civilian airlines bickering constantly, putting up with the bullshit and drama, threats and flames? 200 bucks a year for this? No.

On a similar note, halberdier25 is not an evil person - he's just opinionated, and as per what I said before, because halberdier has dedicated countless hours to running and properly managing the forum, you need to respect him more. So when a moderator says to cut the shit, cut the shit. If you don't like it, post a complaint. Otherwise, shut your trap because we're asking you to stop for a reason.

TL;DR: Sorry for the moderators coming off like dicks, but we put in huge amounts of effort to keep the place running. If you want to disrespect us, you can leave.

That is all.

EDIT:

Also, let it be known that anyone who even mentions hacking the forum will be immediately permabanned. We will not "investigate". We will not negotiate with those who wish to cause damage. We will not ask questions. Calum has been banned for threatening to hack our board. We would not like to continue with the banning. I love my members. So please don't get any ideas.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Re: A note from our moderating team.

Post by Doomsday »

Good post, hopefully people will finally see the effort it takes to keep a web forum running smoothly.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat »

I'd not even apologize. The moderation staff has the specific task to develop and maintain the sort of English YS Community of which we would like to be a part, and JR takes his duties very seriously - more seriously than I have. Not everyone is going to like his style - it's no skin off anyone's nose if you don't like one or all of us. We're here to keep things running, and for the most part, it's working.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.
McJPS

Post by McJPS »

Oh really? "Calum has been banned for threatening to hack our board"
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Just in case any one cares to know.The FBI takes vary seriously a threat of hacking an American computer from a foreign country.And yes Scotland is foreign soil.And I am also sure her Majesty's government wont like it either.
Kilo 11
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Kilo 11 »

Im glad to hear this. This guy has no right whatsoever to threat the forum, great to know action has been taken.
Hawkstar
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

Post by Hawkstar »

For a moment i was scared about the privacy of my computer and especially this forum. You gotta admit this forum is not a forum anymore it became a community of members who agree for what is right and disagree on what is wrong. Also Calum why are you doing this? Yes i know your with the anonymous but thats not a perfectly good excuse to hack the forum. Many of us have done wrong to you but some others are innocent. I know you can read this by now via sockpuppets but still i meant yeah Facebook might be a good reason but YSFHQ? Come on dude. Most of us just came here to have fun not to be damaged. I hope you understand. Just think of the possible consequences might happen if this continue. We have different opinions on whats going to happen but its like thinking of what you post here on YSFHQ. You post something good they reply good stuff.
You post bad well they reply bad too.
Its like consequences and karma i dunno if you believe in this but yeah. Do bad things bad things happen and vice versa. Yeah still you think what youre doing is right but think about the things besides you they will get affected of this and theres gonna be something bad if this continues in my view.

Thats the longest i said ever in this forum but really i hope you understand.
I cant say this to your topics cause theyre locked so i just posted this here because i know your keeping a close eye on this topic.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

Gunny wrote:Just in case any one cares to know.The FBI takes vary seriously a threat of hacking an American computer from a foreign country.And yes Scotland is foreign soil.And I am also sure her Majesty's government wont like it either.
Let me put it this way, I have the ability to track anything entering and leaving your IP, and I ran a scan for 2 hours on Calum's router to detect IP traffic, I can legally do this so no complaining (this sort of scan can be done by anyone with the now how, provided it is for a legit reason) He threatened to hack and then after I started running the scan he visited Anonymous and in the UK that puts you on the UK watch list, I do this through VPN from France as if I went direct from the UK it would then be illegal (need a police warrent, the UK normally sends its data to the USA and visa versa to get round laws), If I find anyone hacking this board I will hand them over to Her Magisty's Police Force's Cybercrime Unit, and as this is an international crime, Interpol, no hollow threat, a real threat.
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

With respect to those involved, it should be noted as well that the key downfall to YSP was loose moderation in my eyes - it's not that each moderator wasn't doing his job, but there was a mindset instilled that abuse between members was to be tolerated.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

Dragon029 wrote:With respect to those involved, it should be noted as well that the key downfall to YSP was loose moderation in my eyes - it's not that each moderator wasn't doing his job, but there was a mindset instilled that abuse between members was to be tolerated.
Every time a comment like that pops up it's like a thorn in my heart. I do wonder from time to time "what I could have done differently" / "have I overreacted" / "should I have reacted sooner". I guess I am a bit fatigued after more than a year as the sole admin around YSP - Jacn has lost all interest of YS although he is still the site owner (as far back as a year ago I've been secretly hoping he would pull the plug), and AFAIK Skyline has been completely off the Internet since June 2010.
Gunny
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Sir with all due respect at this point you are like a Doctor who will not abandon his patient even to the point of following it to the morgue for the autopsy.
You have done all you can do without the proper backup and support.I (with all due respect Sir) think it is time to retire and regroup.
Image[/align=centre]
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

Taskforce 58 wrote:
Dragon029 wrote:With respect to those involved, it should be noted as well that the key downfall to YSP was loose moderation in my eyes - it's not that each moderator wasn't doing his job, but there was a mindset instilled that abuse between members was to be tolerated.
Every time a comment like that pops up it's like a thorn in my heart. I do wonder from time to time "what I could have done differently" / "have I overreacted" / "should I have reacted sooner". I guess I am a bit fatigued after more than a year as the sole admin around YSP - Jacn has lost all interest of YS although he is still the site owner (as far back as a year ago I've been secretly hoping he would pull the plug), and AFAIK Skyline has been completely off the Internet since June 2010.
I'm sorry it does, but remember that it's always the temperament of the users which determines what happens - sometimes issues are rooted in more places than one single person can attend to - you were not the cause of the issue, nor the sole reason of the move. Either way though; things are better now - Jacn won't have to put up with paying for YSP soon and if anything, the English community for YSF now has a home with people who have the experience of what can go wrong. It was a learning experience for the community.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal »

Gunny wrote:Just in case any one cares to know.The FBI takes vary seriously a threat of hacking an American computer from a foreign country.And yes Scotland is foreign soil.And I am also sure her Majesty's government wont like it either.
Hacking in the UK is classed as a terrorist act, it's not only got it's own Parliament act, "Computer Misuse Act 1990" but also depending on how the Police see it, may fall under the "Terrorism Act 2000".

The "Computer Misuse Act"
1. Unauthorised access to computer material.
2. Unauthorised access with intent to commit or facilitate commission of further offences.
3.Unauthorised acts with intent to impair, or with recklessness as to impairing, operation of computer, etc.
3A.Making, supplying or obtaining articles for use in offence under section 1 or 3
The "Computer Misuse Act 1990" can carry a jail sentence between 6 months and 5 years, as well as fine of £5,000.
The "Terrorism Act 2000"? Well I don't think this sort of thing would go that far, but jail sentence is unlimited.

Not to mention, if you are found guilty of any offence covered in the "Computer Misuse Act 1990" would result in a ban on owning or using a computer and the internet.
Awesome 171st pilot
A member from yesteryear!
Also known as Princess Vandel
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Taskforce, Look at the YSF English community now. We're in bloom again. The death of YSP wasn't a bad thing, I think it was necessary. Evolution Morpheus... Evolution...

Like the dinosaur.

I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

Flake wrote:Taskforce, Look at the YSF English community now. We're in bloom again. The death of YSP wasn't a bad thing, I think it was necessary. Evolution Morpheus... Evolution...
Hell no, I'm not lamenting YSP's demise. My previous post was merely to state that I could have done better in hind sight. I actually will be the first to admit that YSFHQ as it is now is way better than YSP 1.0 / 2.0 has ever been.
Hawkstar
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

Post by Hawkstar »

Agrre.