Blender Editing Questions

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Blender Editing Questions

Post by Timmayx » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I'll probably have more questions at some point, but for now I've got a pretty major one that I can't overcome no matter what I've tried.

I've been following the tutorial below to try and make a Vampire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dkj1QIEl6tg

It's worked fine when turning a cylinder into the basic shape of the Vampire's side, but when I got to the top down view, instead of it being the rectangular shape as in the video, it already has be shaped. When I then go to edit from the top view, it changes the original side view and ruins the lines of the model I've already done. (picture below shows what happens after I've tried shaping the top.)

The narrator mentions limiting the editing to the y-axis (5:20 in the video, it happens earlier as well, but I missed when) and this limiting seems to be a solution to my problem. However, I can't find where this option is or how to set it up. Anyone know?

"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "

vincent
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: virtual ones

Re: Blender Editing Questions

Post by vincent » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:09 pm

Press the Y Key after having started the scaling with the S key.
It works also for grabbing (G key) and rotating (R key).

Timmayx
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: English Electric Lightning

Post by Timmayx » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:37 pm

Cheers Vincent, exactly what I was looking for :D

Just to add, in case anyone else had the same question, X, Y and Z will pick the axis you want to edit in the view. Took me a few minutes to realise why I saw no change :lol:
"Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. "

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Post by DavideV » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:30 am

Or, after pressing "S" for scaling, move the mouse along the desired axis scaling while pressing the wheel button.
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)