Wingtip smoke.

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F5 A10 SR71

Wingtip smoke.

Post by plunderbird »

Having seen Zak's Typhoon Tiger. I thought about this idea.
If you want to alter the .dat, so you can get smoke from the wing tips. Set the smoke points as the location where 'condensation' comes from.

Here are a few aircraft that I have seen, in real life with either 'smokewinders' or generators.
F16, F18, F22, Su27, Mig 29 and an aerobatic glider!

I would suggest using 'Noodle' smoke, as this would make it look more "realistic". As the trails made are thin ones.
Fliped out of the arena, again! :(
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Re: Wingtip smoke.

Post by Scarecrow »

Smoke is made actually from evaporating oil that is injected into the exhaust, not condensation from the air, like clouds.

Is beneficial for aerobatic/display purposes as well as airline contrails at high altitude. I do think that noodle is quite to thin and has no depth to it at all. I think we'll stick with whatever the poofy kind is (not towel). Works to be the best, but is a bit "fat" no doubt.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

Do you think It would be possible to go about attaching the smoke generators to the wingtips by making a smoke.srf file that would act like a weapon when you select the smoke option before flying. A simple quick edit of the .dat would make them loadable onto the wingtip hardpoints, and so you could have smoke generators on just about any plane with minimal editing.

@Scarecrow
Would it be possible to change the thickness of the normal smoke? I agree that it is a bit fat, but not overly so in a way that takes away from the acrobatics.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Shutter

Post by Shutter »

Can't edit default smoke size AFAIK
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

decaff_42 wrote:Do you think It would be possible to go about attaching the smoke generators to the wingtips by making a smoke.srf file that would act like a weapon when you select the smoke option before flying.
Smoke generators simply won't work like that. They are a function of the .dat rather than a weapon. Also, to make smoke pods a loadable weapon would require hacking the main exe, so no on both accounts.

Also, no, smoke is of fixed thickness, either infinitely thin (noodle of towel), or a few meters thick (solid).
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor

Post by plunderbird »

I agree that solid is a bit thick, but having flown the aircraft on my list. (In the first post) The only one that I think is in need of 'noodle smoke' is the glider.

@ scarecrow. I know smoke is not condensation. What I ment is put the smokegenerator points, where the condensation (vapour) piont's are, in the .dat listing.

As for smoke pods, e.t.c good ideas. But i think it's best left as it is.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

@ plunderbird

Meh, I'd rather have a simple smoke attachment. Just a matter of opinion. :D
Either way you'd have to edit the .dat file to either add the weapon or make another smoke generation site. I guess in hind sight it would be less hassle for individual planes to make new generation sites, due to the simplicity. If you were to make a mass update to a large number of planes, of varying makes and models, the pod would be easier to add to the .dat than going in an manually doing each one.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor

Post by plunderbird »

decaff_42 wrote:@ plunderbird

Meh, I'd rather have a simple smoke attachment. Just a matter of opinion. :D
Either way you'd have to edit the .dat file to either add the weapon or make another smoke generation site. I guess in hind sight it would be less hassle for individual planes to make new generation sites, due to the simplicity. If you were to make a mass update to a large number of planes, of varying makes and models, the pod would be easier to add to the .dat than going in an manually doing each one.
I agree with the idea of a simple attachment. Like a pod. But it will cause problems, as waspe 414 said.

I've alterd the .dat on a small number of aircraft. And have been happy with the results. :D I'd love to fly one or two at a YSF airshow, but I don't have net conection. :( (I'm writing this on a library computer).
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

I wish i could get online too, but I just don't have the time to figure out my mac's glitches with YSF servers. Too many papers and twenty hour homework assignments to get done... :(

Submit Addon To Database
waspe414
Staff
Staff

Post by waspe414 »

plunderbird wrote:But it will cause problems, as waspe 414 said.
Didn't say it would cause problems, I said it is physically impossible. The current game coding simply does not allow for adding weapons on the fly.

Let me make this clear as well: The .dat is not the answer to every whim of the player. There is no line you can add to it to make new weapons, make nukes, make spaghetti, whatever. The .dat is not a window into the program code.

The .dat is a collection of lines, or variables, that have already been programmed into the game. If you put anything new in, the game code will not know what you're trying to do with that line, and it will merely generate an error.

Also, if you think you have an amazing idea, try it. If it doesn't work, chances are it is impossible.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Understood, but that being said, there's lots of room to mod aspects of YSF outside of the .dat file.

Rather than make a new weapon like a smoke pod, would it be possible to modify the characteristics of a missile so that it didn't leave the pylon, but still created the smoke as it is fired? I think that would be the closest anyone could ever come to making a pod.

Like I've said elsewhere, I have 0 experience with modding YSF, so I don't know the limitations that other people have learned. I'm trying to simply think of get-arounds to the limitations I do know of to get the results I want to try to make in the future.

Submit Addon To Database
waspe414
Staff
Staff

Post by waspe414 »

decaff_42 wrote:there's lots of room to mod aspects of YSF outside of the .dat file.
You'd think, but there really isn't. Almost everything is hardcoded into YS, weapons included. You can't add or modify them without hacking YS.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

waspe414 wrote:Almost everything is hardcoded into YS, weapons included. You can't add or modify them without hacking YS
I was thinking more about making planes and maps, as well as changing the looks of the weapons. I know that might not seem like much to some members of the community who've been here a while, but for me it's still amazing the things that can be done.

Submit Addon To Database
plunderbird
Contributor
Contributor

Post by plunderbird »

As I see it. Unless you put the data in the .dat file, like Zak has for his Typhoon Tiger. You can only fly with wingtip smoke, if you change the .dat for a particular aircraft. Then you can fly with it. But only on your own offline.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

plunderbird wrote:As I see it. Unless you put the data in the .dat file, like Zak has for his Typhoon Tiger. You can only fly with wingtip smoke, if you change the .dat for a particular aircraft. Then you can fly with it. But only on your own offline.
More or less... Unless a server owner changes it, then everyones version will change while online.
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger »

waspe414 wrote:The .dat is not a window into the program code.
HAHAHAHaha...heh...heeeh........

I think I've heard that some where...
aeTIos
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C, A-10A

Post by aeTIos »

(can I still post here?)
My idea: just ask Suji for a smoke size variable.