MMRCA deal in India

Aviation news and discussion for anything aviation related.
sukhoifan
Favorite Aircraft: Su-30 mki

MMRCA deal in India

Post by sukhoifan »

This is a post inviting attention to the latest development regarding the MMRCA (Medium Multi Role Combat Aircraft ) deal which is the largest defence deal in the history of India. The government announced in 2001 that they require 126 new medium multirole combat aircraft to fill in the void between the highly advanced Su-30mki and the outdated Mig-21 ( which is still the largest contributor to IAF). The defence ministry of India issued requests to various aircraft manufacturers for the details of their aircrafts of which the following aircrafts emerged as top contenders:
1. Lockheed Martin F-16IN Super Viper
2. Boeing F/A-18E/F Super Hornet
3. Eurofighter Typhoon
4. Mikoyan MiG-35
5. Saab JAS 39 Gripen
6. Dassault Rafale ( Dassault Aviation replaced Mirage 2000 (which is one of the most favoured planes of IAF) with Rafale since they couldn't continu running the production lineup of Mirage and also wanted to sell more Rafale).
The aircrafts were taken through stringent tests including desert warfare, high altitude warfare, sea level flying tests etc.. Mig-35 nearly withdrew ( although not officially) from the competition due to its inability to provide a consistently performing engines and ordinary performance of avionics. Gripen was always an outcast due to its lack of range as well as poor defence relationships with India ( although they made it up for that by setting up BPOs in India).
The deal is worth around $10.5 billion and in October 2011 the defence ministry issued a statement that the MMRCA deal had only two contenders left :
The Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon.
Today, January 31rst 2012, the defence ministry of India released a statement that the Dassault Rafale has emerged as the winner. The deal may take a while to come into action but this has been a big boost to the Dassault Aviation ( which had earlier quit the european consortium which built the Eurofighter Typhoon to pursue the desigh of Rafale) which were finding it hard to sell Rafale.

PS: This is just a news I wanted to share with you. My typing is not very good but I hope I made my point. Readers can go through the detailed wikipedia article
here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_MRCA_competition
I request everyone to post their views on the article and do add anything informative.
Flying is not about leaving the ground, it is about touching the skies...
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Re: MMRCA deal in India

Post by Crazypilot »

I was just reading about Rafales and read that India ordered 31 something Rafales.
Seagull
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: All of 'em

Post by Seagull »

what only, i thought they buy 126.
Good choice. IAF had good experience with Mirage.
Typhoons problem is its too expensive and its not full multyrole yet.
eurofighter lost in japan and now lost in india :(
Last edited by Seagull on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom »

Well congrats to France for selling their Rafales. I wonder what the paint schemes are going to look like.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Post by Crazypilot »

I'm expecting grey with indian markings.
This:Image
sukhoifan
Favorite Aircraft: Su-30 mki

Post by sukhoifan »

Crazypilot wrote:I was just reading about Rafales and read that India ordered 31 something Rafales.
That might be the initial order. Lots of things yet to happen. the full technology transfer, license to manufacture in India, installation of state of the art AESA radar and so on. Typhoon had offered a thrust vectoring capable engine earlier, don't know about that now.
Yes, typhoon lost out because of its price.
The color schemes are common for IAF it seems. It also serves the purpose of camouflage.
Flying is not about leaving the ground, it is about touching the skies...