YSFlight ver.20120219 TEST VERSION test lab

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

YSFlight ver.20120219 TEST VERSION test lab

Post by vandal »

Ok so new features brings new possibilities. So lets see what we can do and explore these new features. Lets find new ways to abuse YSFlight.

Questions that need to be experimented with, tested and answered.

User-controllable ground object (and Ground-To-Air Defense Mission):

how do we make them?
What information in the dat is needed?
What other weapons can they fire? Just guns and SAMs? Or can we load them with rockets or AGM's?
Can we make a carrier user controlled and land-able?
What other epic things can we do?

Ski-jump flight deck. Flight deck of an aircraft carrier can be tilted and can consist of multiple polygons. Polygons cannot overlap when you look at it from the straight above:

Other than carriers what other uses can we use them for?
Can they go vertical?
Can we make them loop? Maybe putting two next to each other?
Can you bank the ramps?

Also show off other things you've learnt you can do. Any fun tricks.
Awesome 171st pilot
A member from yesteryear!
Also known as Princess Vandel
Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Re: YSFlight ver.20120219 TEST VERSION test lab

Post by Honey Badger »

Code: Select all

IDENTIFY AAA
HTRADIUS 15m
STRENGTH 3
INITIGUN 10000
INITISAM 0
MAXSPEED 0km/h
MAXROTAT 0deg
MINAIMPI 10deg
MAXAIMPI 90deg
AIMROTAT 180deg
AIMPITCH 180deg
GUNRANGE 3000m
SAMRANGE 15000m

USERCTRL GUN
AAAGUNNR 0m 3.4m 0m
AAAOFFST -2m 0m 2.5m
The new AAA .dat.

IDENTIFY AAA
HTRADIUS 15m
STRENGTH 3
INITIGUN 10000
INITISAM 0
MAXSPEED 0km/h
MAXROTAT 0deg
MINAIMPI 10deg
MAXAIMPI 90deg
AIMROTAT 180deg
AIMPITCH 180deg
GUNRANGE 3000m
SAMRANGE 15000m
The old AAA .dat. It looks like you only need to add a few lines. We just need to experiment and find the syntax.

IDENTIFY GEPARD
HTRADIUS 8m
STRENGTH 10
INITIGUN 10000
INITISAM 24
MAXSPEED 40km/h
MAXROTAT 45deg
MINAIMPI 0deg
MAXAIMPI 90deg
AIMROTAT 80deg
AIMPITCH 180deg
GUNRANGE 5000m
SAMRANGE 8000m
HUGROUND TRUE

AAAPOSIT  0.867m 0.782m 3.257m
AAAPOSIT -0.867m 0.782m 3.257m
SAMPOSIT  1.51m 0.782m -0.309m
SAMPOSIT -1.51m 0.782m -0.309m

AAAINTVL 0.03sec
GUNPRECI 0.1deg

USERCTRL DRIVE GUN SAM
COCKPITP 0m 1.72m 2.66m
AAAGUNNR 0m 2.9m 0.73m
AAAOFFST 0m 0m 0m

SAMGUNNR 0m 2.9m 0.73m
SAMOFFST 0m 0m 0m
MSSLTYPE AIM9X

SYNCAASA TRUE

MAXSPDRV 10km/h  # Max reverse speed
MANESPD1 0km/h
MANESPD2 41km/h  # Vehicle drifts with max steering input
MANESPD3 42km/h  # Vehicle drifts with minimum steering input
MAXACCEL 8km/h
MAXAXLRV 8km/h
MAXBRAKE 20km/h
This the Gerpard .dat. It can drive around and is armed with 2 (more?) guns and AAMs. It lets us see a little more of the proper syntax. I'm not an expert so I'll let you guys decipher it.
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

I'll start with user-controlled ground obj:
  • There are two flags, one for a user-controlled object (no mission) and one for a controllable ground object (w/ mission). These are "FLG 128" and "FLG 384" respectively. These appear in the FLD file of a map.
  • There are up to three camera positions for each ground object: the driver, AAA, and SAM.
  • Similar to YFS files for aircraft, user-controlled ground obj. yfs files have TRUE after the ground object name if it is controlled by the player.
  • When a user has FLG 128, collision is disabled. I believe this is a bug, but not sure.
  • Currently, the method for flying along with a user-controlled object is to (a) start in ground obj. mode, do whatever, and then exit; (b) goto 'Select Airplane', follow the regular procedure, and fly; (c) when you look at your ground obj you just controlled, it should be moving in whatever path you moved earlier, and you are able to fly through it (possible bug).
  • No DAT file I have found has the capability to use rockets and agm's. However, it should be possible to set multiple firing points for guns/missles, see the GEOPARD dat file for specs. Maybe someone can test other weapons?
  • Specifically for carriers, I have found the best way to do it is to (a) change the ground object flag, (b) go into ground obj mode and do whatever, (c) open up the new file, do 'Select Aircraft' and fly. You should be able to land on the carrier now, while having it follow the path you defined.
  • I have not tested what happens with ground objects that start in the air, this is something to be researched. With the current functionality, it is still impossible to use the P-112 Aigon as a flyable aircraft carrier.
And for plane-specific weapons:
  • You can set each plane to use a specific srf for a weapon via the plane's DAT file. There are two lines for each weapon type; the first line is for the weapon mounted on the plane, the second is for it detached from the plane (e.g. freefall, etc.).
  • When Soji fixes online mode, we need to test if the modifications in the DAT for a plane-specific weapon is server-sided or client-sided. I believe it is client-sided, but I cannot confirm this.
For ski-jumps, I was thinking we could literally make a ski-jump map and some skiiers to test it out. What would happen if we used jeeps on the map? With "HUGROUND TRUE" changed to false, would that cause the vehicle to fly into the air like an aircraft?

This new version has many exciting possibilities. I am wondering how online mode works if you have both ground objects and aircraft flyable. When a ground object is destroyed, what happens if a user is in it? What if they want to "respawn" that object?
Last edited by Eric on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary steps because of version update
I make this website.
waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Kiowa, Mitten, Hornet

Post by waspe414 »

Alternative weapons can be set by the MSSLTYPE line. Any type can be set, including flares and fuel tanks. The AGMs do not target, however.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green
Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal »

For ski-jumps, I was thinking we could literally make a ski-jump map and some skiiers to test it out. What would happen if we used jeeps on the map? With "HUGROUND TRUE" changed to false, would that cause the vehicle to fly into the air like an aircraft?
No, with huground off they go UNDER the elevation grids
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

Okay, well I took a brief look at the .dnm structure of the Gepard - it's currently composed of 4 .srfs:

To view the model in dnmviewer, you have to edit the .dnm in notepad and remove the line "DNMVER 2".

The body; is a CLA 0 with STA 1 and 2 activated (2 NST's) - that's 0...012.srf. (Operated by Yaw).

The turret itself (the centre part) is CLA 1, with 2 NST's; that's 013.srf. (Operated by Roll).

The radar at the back is CLA 12, 2 NST's again; 014.srf. - I have not seen the radar move independently, so I don't know what it does - theory dictates it should maybe rotate or something, but *shrug*.

The guns that swing up and down are CLA 2, 2 NST's; 015.srf. (Operated by Pitch).

There's also a file titled "dnm" in the dnm, with a CLA 40 and no STA's active (just POS). This is 016.srf and when separated, it appears to be a hatch - a green circle with a curving upper surface (like a hemi-sphere). I have not seen this .srf move either whilst in-game - it must be tied to the doors open/close key, which I haven't bothered to look up yet.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
Boom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15, F-22

Post by Boom »

semicolon is default for doors.
Does anyone know if any stock aircraft have doors? I thought the 747 would be most likely to have doors but it isn't. I guess soji didn't think new a/c models would be necessary.
Kilo 11
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Kilo 11 »

When will the stable version be released?
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

Somebody please take a look at the default Concord. Apparently in this version the instrument panel can be made tilted at an angle, and the Concord now has a kicka$$ cockpit. There seems to be a few new DAT variables regarding cockpit view angles and instrument panel tilting.
Animal
Animal
Animal

Post by Animal »

thats old news actually, but nobody ever really explored it. I never tilted teh panel but i did use a similar idea to match the panel with the panel in my A-4's cockpit.
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Taskforce 58 »

Confirmed: Custom weapon shapes can be a DNM.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

What would that mean?
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Taskforce 58 »

That means you don't have to put everything in a single SRF. I have a F-4 center fuel tank for VMFA-333, which has a trio of shamrock artwork on either side of the nose of the tank. Instead of merging everything into a SRF, I created a DNM with just the tank plus both sides of the artwork. This way I can position them better, and it seems to render better too.
Animal
Animal
Animal

Post by Animal »

how's that gonna affect it's wing tankage?
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Post by Maroon 5 »

Does anyone know if the virtual ATC feature is connected to ILS or does it need a certain flag or what? And how do you activate virtual ATC in YS 2012 anyway?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Enter=in Esc=out ;)
Image[/align=centre]
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

So... while doing custom weapons for my IGF entry, I discovered something amazing:

In case you're not sure what you're looking at - flares can have .srf's or .dnm's replacing the standard red sparkle.

We also tested out a .dnm version with smoke and movement, etc, but .dnm-based weapons don't animate, so they look kind of odd.

Another thing to note is that models replacing the default red sparkle will freeze mid-air when the flare dies out. The model will hover in mid-air, but disappear soon after.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

OhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGod
OhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGodOhGod
this is awesome liek srs
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Taskforce 58 »

Dragon029 wrote:In case you're not sure what you're looking at - flares can have .srf's or .dnm's replacing the standard red sparkle.
Well?

Don't leave us hanging there. What SRF do we replace for this awesomeness?
Shutter

Post by Shutter »

Sweet. Have a cookie dragon, because that's awesome.