Usefulness for MiG-25/31

bernholm
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 777-9X

Usefulness for MiG-25/31

Post by bernholm »

I have seen a lot of debate about this in a topic, which veered off to other MiG aircraft.

My best use for the MiG-31 was on the WW3 server, where I managed to fly from the IFF4 base to the middle island in less than a minute, and managed to get one lucky missile on my target while streaking low over the island at 750 kts. It took me just over 3 minutes to execute the whole operation, take-off to landing. No other aircraft can intercept like this one can. It gets you before you know it, and it hits you hard. Then it's gone before you can get a comeback on it. Hardly any other plane can hit-and-run like that.

Recommended use: Load it up with a mix of AIM-9s and AIM-120s, then go up to your target and give it a good hard whack with the missiles. If you are in hostile territory and still have missiles to get him a second time, do a wide loop over nearby friendly/neutral territory, then when he has respawn and is near to you, pull out of it, fly straight at him, and give him another whack with the missiles. If you run out of missiles, just full AB RTB outta there.
TL;DR - How to use a MiG-25/31 in 6 easy steps (credits to Gunny):

1. Wait for intruders to get within danger range of airbase
2. Take off with fully-armed MiG with 50-70% fuel
3. Take out as many hostiles as possible.
4. RTB at high-speed.
5.1. Reload and refuel to full armament and 50-70% fuel.
5.2. If any other MiG25/31s are ready to take off, send them out one by one, putting out one as soon as another gets back. Don't send them all out at once because they will end up in a dogfight and get outmaneuvered.
6. Repeat steps 2-5.2 as many times as needed.

It's best to have about 3-4 because the can just go in a cycle of taking off, firing, then calling another one out as soon as the first is exhausted of armament. This way the enemy won't have any windows of time to attack the base while the MiGs are reloading and refueling.

Combatting a MiG-25/31: It is very difficult to out-run a MiG-25 or -31 in straight flight, so if you want to combat one, make sure you use a lot of evasive tactics on it, and if it is trying to fly straight but somewhat perpendicular to you, use its low maneuverability to your advantage (it turns
only slightly faster than an airliner even with trim) and cut in front of it, looping around the front and sides if necessary. Flying head on will not work for if you miss it, it can simply scream off into the horizon even before you can turn around. Always keep in mind that a straight chase will not work for as hardly any fighter jet can catch up to a straight-cruising MiG-25/31, and forcing it into a tight-turn dogfight will out it at a severe disadvantage due to its low maneuverability.

Any other notes for the MiG-25/31 can be posted here.
Last edited by bernholm on Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Re: Usefulness for MiG-25/31

Post by Crazypilot »

Long story short: MiG-25/31 is king of hit and run.
SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom »

The problem with the Mig-25/31 is the low G movement, the only real time I use it is against heavy bombers and nothing else. Even then the Su-37 provides a slightly slower approach but with a decent approach profile it can take out the heavy bomber pretty efficiently. Not to mention you still have a gun to rely on and you still have more missles than the Mig-25 and 31. The Mig-25 and 31 are good for the high altitude, high speed attacks on ground targets if you want to attach bombs, but even then usually slightly slower moving aircraft with more payload. You have to ask if you're going out of a mission, you're in a Mig-31 you chased down the heavy bombers and you knocked them down but the strike fighters can easily take you down due to your manuverability inabilities. They have a decent payload to ward you away from them. Hell, I've taken down Mig-25s with my VMFA-125 AH-1Z. Would you rather have the ability to delay them with a turning fight and force them to drop their bombs for better maneuverability, and get the possibility for the kill? Or just hope to hell that your missiles hit and they'll just be on their merry way to the target with their bombs since hit and run tactics are easily avoidable.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.
bernholm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bernholm »

To use it in singleplayer is a smart move.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Just my 2 cents guys.The Mig 25s and 31s where designed to do one thing and one thing only.To climb to altitude fast deliver there missiles and RTB as fast as possible reload and do it again.They where not designed to loiter and duke it out.Or get low and destroy ground targets.In other words a high speed high altitude missile delivery platform.Thats why those two goshmonsterawful engines that suck fuel faster than they fly.
Image[/align=centre]
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Post by Crazypilot »

It's not exactly a beautiful plane either. Like Gunny said, there like a high-speed mailman who delivers missiles and then GTFO back to base and reload.
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix »

Reminder: This plane was designed to kill XB-70s
bernholm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bernholm »

Don't get into a dogfight if you're using a MiG-25/31. You will lose sight of your enemy before you can turn around. Just hit-and-RTB them.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I don't like exposing my tail to enemy planes, but if you're streaking close to mach 3, then there isn't much that can catch you. :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Shutter

Post by Shutter »

The foxbat/hound as a fighter to fight fighters is kind of a fantasy. Yes, fighters don't go mach 2.9.

They don't need to.

Their missiles do.

derp.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

But missiles have to make up the distance, and unless they just happen to be carrying some Phoenix's then you can probably out-run their missiles before they run out of fuel/range.

The faster missiles only go around mach 5, so that's only a mach 2 advantage over you. If you push hard enough before they get a lock on you, that mach 2 speed advantage disappears into the gap that you've opened up between contact and missile launch.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
bernholm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bernholm »

You should only use afterburner when you are making the final approach to your target, and when you are GTFO-RTB'ing.
Shutter

Post by Shutter »

I was talking in ys centric terms, since that was the original idea. The point remains valid. So far as I'm concerned, that will be my opinion until someone manages to kill me with one of those things.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

You'd just have to pop flares to keep the missiles off you. If you don't see them coming, and you are distracted, it's possible that they could get off an AIM 9 before you could react.

Submit Addon To Database
bernholm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bernholm »

Ok, this is final.

The MiG-31 in real life is quite the aircraft, in fact the Mig-25 led to the initiation of F-15 program.

But the capabilities in YSFLIGHT are limited.Without the Kh-31 missile etc, its only real use is against uber noobs that can't deploy flares, or against YSFLIGHT's old AI that only deployed flares ONCE after an AMRAAM. Otherwise people will keep flaring and you'll be out of AMRAMMs before you know it.

So: Only use (in YSFLIGHT) is against noobs/AI, or use it really really really well and fire your missile exactly at the right time to hit veteran/ace pilots on multiplayer (which is also really really really unlikely, so your best bet is to stick with singleplayer/noob servers).

BTW sorry for gravedigging but after some research i decided to close this open ended topic.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Topic closed and locked.

Submit Addon To Database