VPS 2

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: VPS 2

Post by Midnight Rambler » Wed May 09, 2012 10:11 am

Shutter wrote:A little 171st stress testing showed that so long as the clients have good internet speeds as well, this is ten times better than a normal server.

Awesome stuff rambler.
Great :)

What level of lag did you get? I had 6 people on today and I experienced no lag at all, something that I have never had in YSF.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed May 09, 2012 1:10 pm

It was a little twitchy; like if someone did a roll they might skip a dozen frames in the animation, but otherwise no jumps.

Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice » Wed May 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Damn. 64 FPS steady all the time.
A little question, the FPS in YS seems to have that top of 64. Is there some way to disable it? I know my comp can run at more than that.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:17 pm

On my mac i can get 100fps. That's the highest I've had
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: CH-136 Kiowa, Yak-130 Mitten

Post by waspe414 » Wed May 09, 2012 5:53 pm

Rise and Shine wrote:Damn. 64 FPS steady all the time.
A little question, the FPS in YS seems to have that top of 64. Is there some way to disable it? I know my comp can run at more than that.
Network lag != framerate

And no, not on Windows. 64.08 is the highest I have ever run it at.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed May 09, 2012 6:02 pm

Maybe your computer can rise, but your screen probably can't go any higher than 60Hz. Maybe 70. Your eye can't really see the difference between higher than 60 and sixty so it's pretty much pointless to remove the fps limit.

And like waspe said, fps =/= network lag. When I say skipping a couple of frames in the animation, I mean that at sixty fps, when a roll begins for example, the aircraft does a part of the roll smoothly, but then jumps ever so slightly further ahead in the process of the roll.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Thu May 10, 2012 9:58 am

Shutter wrote:The aircraft does a part of the roll smoothly, but then jumps ever so slightly further ahead in the process of the roll.
That's part of the YSF Protocal. It also sends axis rotation speeds as well (eg: rolling at 10deg/sec) so that the client can draw a rotation and not have things like stop motion.

On the most part, it works, but as the other packets come through later then normal, the rolls aren't smooth.

In a perfect world, this wouldn't happen, but, the world isn't perfect.

I'd blame the client on that one, as it's probably not sending the roll data out in the first place fast enough if EVERYONE has this issue.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Thu May 10, 2012 10:05 am

We had 13 flying today. 5 of us were flying in close formation so I'd say it's working great. Dogfighting produces some
lag but I'm putting that down to the YSF system itself - something that isn't likely to change.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu May 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Yep, but it's still better by leaps and bounds.

Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Post by Fariiniq » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:26 pm

Wow! Haven't noticed somehow this thread :D

I use VPS for the UltimateYSFlight server. It's awesome. No huge powerbills, 99% uptime, no lag, administration with 2 mouse clicks. So far it has worked fabulously. The best way to run a YSF server, you just need to know how to use VPS. And 30€/month is really not bad for a windows VPS. I was thinking about changing to 2-core later when i purchased the server but it hasn't lagged at all with one. VPS is the way to go! :D If more people start using VPS, we'll have a bunch of 24/7 lagless servers from range to range soon. What a revolution!
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff

Post by Midnight Rambler » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:35 pm

Fariiniq wrote:Wow! Haven't noticed somehow this thread :D

I use VPS for the UltimateYSFlight server. It's awesome. No huge powerbills, 99% uptime, no lag, administration with 2 mouse clicks. So far it has worked fabulously. The best way to run a YSF server, you just need to know how to use VPS. And 30€/month is really not bad for a windows VPS. I was thinking about changing to 2-core later when i purchased the server but it hasn't lagged at all with one. VPS is the way to go! :D If more people start using VPS, we'll have a bunch of 24/7 lagless servers from range to range soon. What a revolution!
We're leading the way :lol: