Want your VA to be more realistic?

Do you want YSFlight to become more realistic yet still fun?

Yes
40%
No
20%
I want to help make YSFlight more realistic
30%
I think YSFlight is the most realistic simulator out there
10%

Total votes: 20

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

Want your VA to be more realistic?

Post by Lux. » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Hey all,

I am a Senior Captain and I fly Airbus's for Air Canada. I want to make the YSFlight community more realistic, yet still fun. This goal includes Virtual Airlines or VA's. PM, e-mail, or reply to this topic to ask me for help. You can read a little bit about me here ->http://ysfhq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f= ... 136#p50104
If you want to talk to me about anything you can find me on the VNAF Aero TeamSpeak at 99.230.110.19:9898 or PM me.

Regards,
Lux.
If nothing goes right, go left

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Re: Want your VA to be more realistic?

Post by DavideV » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:01 pm

As I've already said before, I'm in!
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)

Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71

Post by Phoenix » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Has this discussion not been had a few hundred times?

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:31 pm

Hello Phoenix,

I am new to YSFlight but not in flying. I have looked at the form but not that detailed in my search. So I have no idea. I just want to help out VA's with my experience and knowledge, as well as the greater YSFlight community. That's it.

Regards,
Lux.

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Hello,

Okay, I will create some ATC documents, and very basic and easy procedure papers. Also, I am trying to make the YSFlight Display/Demonstration Team shows more fun and easier to use. (I am talking with Scarecrow next week.) I know AWACS, CATC, and Military ATC. If you want me to wright a document on each of those as well I will gladly do that.
Just trying to help.

Regards,
Lux.

DavideV
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Aermacchi MB339, Piaggio P.180 Avanti

Post by DavideV » Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:53 pm

Sentinel has made a point: the problem of a realistic YSFlight is the YSFlight community itself.
"The only job where you start at the top is digging a hole" (from TinyTower BitBook)

Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:03 pm

Sentinel182 wrote:
Lux. wrote:I know AWACS, CATC, and Military ATC. If you want me to wright a document on each of those as well I will gladly do that.
nah, i dont think military section would need that, apart from maybe AWACS, but then theres already a simple, bitesized, short guide on how to be a successful AWACS. as i stated in my post, the military section is where all the arcade-heads go, so making it complex would put them off. its best to keep things simple and straight to the point there.

the civilian section would need more detailed stuff, although theres already an ATC manual provided by wingzfan for the civilian section as well, but you can write another one if you want.
I think you will find I wrote the manual :P
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Hello Welshy,

Yes you did write the manual. I have just finished writing the procedures manual that no one has written at all. Also I have written a manual on AWACS and general ATC because as you must know ATC Phraseology has minor changes about every 1-2 months so eventually you have a major change if you put all the minor changes together. My point is that you wrote that manual just under a year ago and (No offence) but I think I can make a better one. Just my opinion on things.

Regards,
Lux.

lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:04 pm

Yes, I accept this proposal to give a touch higher in YSFlight. For example: Ysfhq Virtual Certification is an early example of what is being done to improve the procedures of the VA. The small and medium-sized things have been done, now have people who lack complete it, of course not one but all together.

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:46 am

Hello All,

I have completed tha ATC documents for IFR, VFR, CATC, and AWACS. I also have the procedures paper done. I think we already have some interest.
lucas wrote:Yes, I accept this proposal to give a touch higher in YSFlight. For example: Ysfhq Virtual Certification is an early example of what is being done to improve the procedures of the VA. The small and medium-sized things have been done, now have people who lack complete it, of course not one but all together.
Before I post it to a new topic though, I want ... to go over it and the other VA admins, before I post it and announce it officially.

Regards,
Luc.

Note* I will post the documents here soon, when I upload them to mediafiire.

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:34 am

Hello,

Okay, I do not have the CATC and AWACS on the mediafire. The files are at http://www.mediafire.com/ysflightdocs. Let me know what you think about them. Also, I will PM you the password for all three files.

Regards,
Lux.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:51 am

I think what sentinel is getting at is that ysflight combat has traditionally been focused exclusively on tactical aircraft skirmishes where success is predominantly based on pilot skill. Due to the lack of essential combat features ysflight simply doesn't have any real combat need for logistics, employs minimal strategy and generally very little of anything that isn't directly involved with finding and killing the other guy. The predetermined radar ranges and sensibilities in ys as well as the near universal simple instruments make awacs largely obsolete; in practice, a fighter can perform awacs duties better than anything larger could in ys. The only squad ever large enough to incorporate an active awacs group in the wing was ourselves, and the e-2 saw little use because anything with an agm can direct the fight just as well. The contrail view was a largely negligible advantage. Until we get some sort of datalink or radar upgrade to the program, awacs is best conducted by fighters.

Now, outside our hardcore little combat community there is certainly interest in the simulation of such activities. Where ys is lacking in terms of physics or other realism we can make up for in basically substituting functions by player actions. We generally find this less engaging in the combat areas because deliberately imposing limits on the game to imitate something less fun runs against the spirit that ys combat play has had for a very long time. Being what it is, ys lends itself readily to nonsensical situations which is all a part of the fun. It doesn't matter to us if a mustang kills a sixty foot flying robot, because that just makes it a little extra special. Realistic air warfare has been replicated extensively in other programs on which designers are mindful of limits and variety. We have that too to some extent, but the true wonder of ys is the limitless possibilities.

There's no harm in realism, and you're a new member with plenty of new ideas and that's great, but essentially I just want you to understand that the spirit of "it can be rebuilt" will not always ring true with some of us, so if it seems like we are difficult it is partly because we have put in large amounts of effort into getting certain things the way they are starting from much worse situations, but it is also in part due to the fact that we would appreciate it if you were mindful of certain setups we really truly believe in.

As for the stuff you're doing regarding civilian and aerobatics, more power to you I guess. The sections have been out of proper activity for some time. Just try to bring around unified changes if you do so.

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:54 am

Hello,

Okay, they are all there. Just a note the CATC is 100% based off real life and the AWACS is based off of info some of my military friends told me.

Regards,
Lux.

-- Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 am --

Hello Shutter,

I respect that. I will stop with trying to change the YSFlight Military. But if it is okay I will continue with helping VA's and Aerobatics.

Regards,
Lux.

-- Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:01 pm --

Hello All,

Collectively you have downloaded the files altogether 56 times. What do you guys think of it? Is the layout good? Is the information easy to understand, maybe to complicated? Please comment.

Regards,
Lux.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Lux. wrote: -- Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:10 am --

Hello Shutter,

I respect that. I will stop with trying to change the YSFlight Military. But if it is okay I will continue with helping VA's and Aerobatics.

Regards,
Lux.
I'm not asking you to step off or anything, just asking you to please be understanding, which doesn't seem to be a problem. The stuff I've seen looks good so far, perhaps a bit too technical for some of our younger members but it might add some freshness to the whole deal that some might appreciate. Thanks for all the work you're putting in.

Lux.
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lux. » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Hello Shutter,

No don't worry about it. I know a lot about AWACS, CATC, Navy, and Air Force. If that document is to technical or realistic for YSFlight. I need to step off because that is really basic on the realistic and techinal level. Anyway I completely understand how you want to keep YSFlight a fun environment. Only a fun, and very limited realism for military. But that is fine. That what the procedures document was made for it was made so people that want YSFlight to be more realistic they can use it. For people that don't want it to be realistic that is fine too. The files were all made for the simmer that wants the most realistic simulation experience they can get on YSFlight.

Regards,
Lux.