No votes

Total votes: 2

Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

VPS Guide - Start your own VPS server?

Post by Fariiniq » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:33 am

The next big thing in the YSFlight community is servers using VPS. I wanted to make a simple guide for you guys, explaining what VPS is, how it works and the simple steps of launching a VPS server.

VPS (Virtual Private Server) in simple english
A company maintains a server machine (computer) and in exchange for payment they "slice" a piece of your liking from that machine and give you virtual access to that "slice". As if you would remotely connect to a friend's computer. Except it's a computer of your liking and the company makes sure that computer runs 99% of the time and doesn't lag. When you run a YSFlight server remotely from that "slice" it obviously gives you numerous advantages against a home-based server. Including; no need to keep your computer on all the time, competent staff making sure the server machine is running smoothly, all of the server machine's power is used only by YSFlight, unmetered bandwidth (virtually no lag). The possibilities are endless. The only 2 turn-off's are that it costs money (reasonably cheap tho) and you need to familiarize yourself on how to use VPS. That second part we are going to cover next.

Setting up a windows VPS and using it to run a YSFlight server 20£
At the time of writing this 123-reg offers the cheapest, reliable windows VPS. So I'm going to guide you how to purchase a VPS from them. This will be helpful also if you want to purchase it from another provider.

Step 1)

Go to https://www.123-reg.co.uk/vps-hosting/. You will see the VPS offers. The "VPS100" will do just fine for your YSFlight server, unless you want to choose one of the other offers. So click "BUY NOW" as shown in the picture.

Step 2)

You are directed to the page shown in the picture above. Here you will choose the details of your server. Make sure to choose "Windows Web" as the operating system and "Plesk 10" as the control panel. Also pick the billing period. I suggest one month. Then click "Purchase". Continue as directed and pay for the server.

After the payment is complete it might take up to few hours for the VPS to go active. When it does, you will receive an e-mail. If you don't receive this e-mail see step 3. If you get the e-mail go directly to step 4.

[s]Step 3[/s])

(if you don't get an e-mail) Login to 123-reg and go to the control panel. Click on "VPS", then "manage" on your VPS. You will get the page in the picture. If the VPS status is anything other than "running" even tho you have waited a few hours press "help" on top of the page and go submit a support ticket. Sometimes the staff has to manually restart the VPS, the first time after you buy it.

Step 4)

Open the e-mail containing your login information (as in the picture above).
You will need to save the IP address, username and password. You need them to connect to your server.

Step 5)

Now we are going to use Windows Remote Desktop Control to connect to your VPS. Open a command prompt (start-->cmd) and type in "mstsc". Press enter. The connection box for Remote Control should appear, as in the picture. Enter the IP address and username from the e-mail, then press "connect". A new box will pop up asking for the Administrator password. Enter the one from the e-mail. You have to type it in by hand.

Step 6)

Congratulation you have connected remotely to your server's desktop. Now open Internet Explorer and go download YSFlight. Install it normally.

Step 7)

Before you start your server, you will need to do some changes to the server's firewall, since it doesn't allow anyone to connect to it freely, by default. The easiest, but not recommended option is to disable the whole firewall. The more secure option is to allow the YSFlight program from the firewall's settings.

Step 8)

You're ready to start your server normally. Use Internet Explorer to go download addons and 3rd party programs such as YSChat. I will not discuss the actual operating of your own YSFlight server, since it's covered in another guide and is irrelevant for this guide.

YOU ARE DONE!
Now when you close the remote connection the server will keep running normally. Whenever you want to administrate it connect again. You can run other servers also from the same VPS such as a TeamSpeak server. If there's interest, I'll cover that also.
Thank you for taking the time to read this guide and enjoy!

SIDENOTE
I love that YSFlight is freeware and don't want to take it to any other direction. This is just an option if you can afford it and want to bring your server to a completely another level.
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*

Shutter

Re: VPS Guide - Start your own VPS server?

Post by Shutter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 am

Neat, I've been thinking about this. Thanks fariiniq.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:36 am

Mine is about $27.95/mo AUD. I chose my host, Web24, because of it's great user reviews, because it's local (hosted from Melbourne) and the great support they offer.

Mine had an identical setup to Fariiniq and was online within 24 hours. I run a TS3 server in conjunction with the YSF server.
On some services such as VPSLand, they require photo ID when renting a server which can be a pain when buying offshore. So keep that in mind. Also, while the Linux version is about 1/3 of the price of the Windows VPS... Unless you know what your doing or what to expect, don't even think about it. :lol:

Martin-Dutchie
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-20A Tigershark

Post by Martin-Dutchie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:01 pm

As of Linux, using Ubuntu Server looks a lot like this, but you will probably need a different connection program. If you are reasonably good with computers, setting up the same server on a Linux account will not be much harder to do, except for the fact that you will probably have to install an extra ufw manager from the software centre (ufw is Ubuntu's stock software firewall). You could do the same through commands though, not too hard if you are good at finding stuff on Google. Maybe when I have a lame afternoon I can write a quick tutorial up (which I cannot test though, but it will be mostly accurate). I do not even mention the fact that tutes to connecting to Ubuntu Server and setting up the firewall are probably already supplied by the VPS provider. Installing is the same, except that permissions work different on Linux (give permission to execute through properties of file)

In fact, if you are willing to set up such server, I would be more than happy to help! Just shoot me a PM.