Help installing the new Version of YS

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Venom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

Help installing the new Version of YS

Post by Venom »

Whenver I try to install the new one through the setup.exe, and have the new version overwrite my old YSFlight folder, it says this.
Failed to coply/generate a file. Installation was unsuccessful. Please check to see if you have write permission of the target directory, if the target directory is write-protected, and try again.
I am running on Windows 7 thus not requiring me to backup my old directory like I would have to on XP. It should just overwrite the YS Directory Files.

Thanks for your help.
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Re: Help installing the new Version of YS

Post by Scarecrow »

Put the new installation "somewhere" else. In a folder in your desktop, somewhere. Also, save the "YSFLIGHT.COM" file (with the configs you have set) in your Documents folder. Put this on your desktop so you have it and it doesn't get re-written with stock set-up configurations when you get the new version.

Just take the new .exe's and replace the other exe's in your core YSFlight folder, and re-write the "YSFLIGHT.COM" file in your documents with what you saved.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

I don't know what I've done differently than you all but I always just install my new versions of ys right where they're recommended to go and my addons all stay there. I don't necessarily back up anything.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Philster
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747

Post by Philster »

Scarecrow wrote:Put the new installation "somewhere" else. In a folder in your desktop, somewhere. Also, save the "YSFLIGHT.COM" file (with the configs you have set) in your Documents folder. Put this on your desktop so you have it and it doesn't get re-written with stock set-up configurations when you get the new version.

Just take the new .exe's and replace the other exe's in your core YSFlight folder, and re-write the "YSFLIGHT.COM" file in your documents with what you saved.
I don't thing this is the greatest way to update ysflight. If you only change the exe. files, you won't receive the updated models, dats. and ground objects Soji has added to the latest version.

What I usually do is I back up my sound, misc, and lsts. files (there are extra lines I've added) and install over my current ysflight.
241st Shadow Hunter
Team Awesome # 241
Soji wrote:They were the last birds who could have been arrested for the criminal negligence.
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Cheese

Post by Crazypilot »

I do something along the lines of what Philster does.

I back up all my maps and airplanes or misc weapon mods and then un-install YSFlight. I then download the new version where the old one previously was. I don't delete the YSFLIGHT.COM files though, that way, my configurations are saved.
Shand
Favorite Aircraft: Typhoon/Concorde

Post by Shand »

You shouldnt have to back-up the .lst files.
If any additional mods ect have been done right they should make their own .lst files
(eg: gro_RPFS.lst)
If that isnt the case and the instal for the mods suggest adding the lines to an .LST just make a new one
eg: gro_Mods.lst

I think that should work.

whenever i upgrade (in the past) i copied out my config folder and copied it back in if i needed to.

As for permissions, thats nothing to do with YS, thats windows 7 - are you an admin account? i presume you have installed ys in ProgramFiles/ysflight.com/ys or similar? often windows is protective of prog_files. try "installing" elsewhere and copying everything on top of the original (bar the config folder as i've said above)
lorDuckFeet
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: McDonnell Douglas

Post by lorDuckFeet »

I downloaded the 2012 version of YSFlight for Windows 7, when I'm playing some errors appear :x
Shand

Post by Shand »

errors like what? what are they consistent with doing something in particular?
Help us to help you.
Help us to help you.
Help us to help you.
Venom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

Post by Venom »

Fsmaino.exe crashes everytime I try to boot up Direct3D or OpenGL and this is the new version that I just installed.

EDIT: I am running windows 7 32-bit. And the last addon that loaded was: air_RPFS.lst
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

FSMAINDX also crashing here for me.

It's purely addon based I think.

Why the hell soji changed the addon reading format I have no idea...
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Shand

Post by Shand »

yeah it does sound like add-on related. I dont have many add_ons (just the RPFS ones)
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 »

This is why I didn't update my Ysflight files. I'm scarred.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

This is the way I did it and had no problems.
Move all your files from the Ysflight.com/Ysflight to a different location.Do not copy any config files so as not to confuse the new install.Than UN-install the existing Ysflight with your native UN-install utility.Than check that all Ysflight installations have been deleted including the Ysflight files in the my documents file.Than do a clean install with the updated version.Then do a cut and paste of your backed up files to the new install making sure to ok your backed up files to overwrite the new files.If you do not have admin rights you may need to get them first depending on your O/S.
Image[/align=centre]
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by iqmal_97 »

Gunny wrote:This is the way I did it and had no problems.
Move all your files from the Ysflight.com/Ysflight to a different location.Do not copy any config files so as not to confuse the new install.Than UN-install the existing Ysflight with your native UN-install utility.Than check that all Ysflight installations have been deleted including the Ysflight files in the my documents file.Than do a clean install with the updated version.Then do a cut and paste of your backed up files to the new install making sure to ok your backed up files to overwrite the new files.If you do not have admin rights you may need to get them first depending on your O/S.
Thnx a bunch Gunny. I'll try it tomorrow.
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)
FrenchTOZT
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-65

Post by FrenchTOZT »

I have not had problems so far with it. the only problem was losing all my configurations.
I am sure as what everyone else mentioned, just drag the exes in.
Team Awesome# Whatever. ALPHA-5 OF THE TA-RANGERS Part of the f**king problem
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by iqmal_97 »

Just installed, works great with addons not hitching any problems. Now, for retrieving my custom sounds. The stock ones just doesn't do it 4 me.