Windows Live Messenger to close in March 2013

From the American Heritage Dictionary
mis·cel·la·ne·a - pl.n.: Miscellaneous items or written works collected together.
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Re: Windows Live Messenger to close in March 2013

Post by iqmal_97 »

I've stopped using MSN since December last year. But knowing that many Ys members depend on MSN really worries me. We're gonna have to find a new medium to compensate this loss way or another.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)
Martin-Dutchie
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-20A Tigershark

Post by Martin-Dutchie »

I'd suggest using Gtalk. It has besides instant messaging also got video- and audiocalling features. Since virtually every human connected to internet already has a google-account, why not use the heck out of it? I suggest installing the Gtalk client for Windows. You can easily add Gmail-addresses as Gtalk-contacts and keep in touch!
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Sentinel182 wrote:Yes, you heard me right. Since just about every YS player I've ever IMed in the last five and a half years uses MSN as their IM client, I thought it might as well be worth posting here.

Source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20222998

So, what IM service would you be migrating to next, fellow HQers?

I'm sure as hell not fucking using Skype, I can tell you that. Even though you can migrate all MSN contacts to it, it will always be a piece of shit
I've been using Skype for video talk for 3 years now and have had no problems with it. I used to do that on MSN and always had frequent video stream problems.

For chatting I find AOL Instant Messenger to do the job without any problems. It did have some bugs a few years back but they seem to have been fixed with recent versions.
Nath
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: Panavia Tornado GR4

Post by Nath »

I feel slightly sad, but I never really used MSN so I don't really care. I always used Skype.
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 »

I didn't know you guys even have an account on skype! It's been 3 years now but I only have like 2-3 people I usually talk to.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: 767

Post by Maroon 5 »

Of course I will use Skype. In addition to Google Talk. I manage everything from http://www.imo.im

how did Sent bypass the swearword filter?
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

Well, even though it isn't exactly an IM program, I'll use TS3. And is there really a HQ Gold account or is it just that you're an admin?
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
Varren

Post by Varren »

Rise and Shine wrote:Well, even though it isn't exactly an IM program, I'll use TS3. And is there really a HQ Gold account or is it just that you're an admin?

Yeah, there is a YSFHQ Gold Account. I have one myself, you pay £10 a Month, its pretty awesome. You have to be given a random URL to even buy a membership in the first place, go ask Ice or someone for a Gold Account URL.
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 »

is the gold account thing really true, or are you just trolling me? cause erict15 gave me a screencap of the board index from his account and i sure as hell didnt see any badass secret forums...
Looking for a unique security and malware forum? Look no further than www.styxnet.pw
Varren

Post by Varren »

Maroon 5 wrote:is the gold account thing really true, or are you just trolling me? cause erict15 gave me a screencap of the board index from his account and i sure as hell didnt see any badass secret forums...
Its hidden, it doesen't show on the normal UCP, once you click the link, you see it on your UCP for that visit only.
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

Maroon 5 wrote:is the gold account thing really true, or are you just trolling me? cause erict15 gave me a screencap of the board index from his account and i sure as hell didnt see any badass secret forums...
boom
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Maroon 5
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maroon 5 »

Well... looks believable... but I'm still skeptical. Why isn't it publicized to generate more income? How come only admins and mods (except Varren) have access?

and why do we even need MSN? What's the purpose of emails, PM's, DrupalChat, and minichat?
Varren

Post by Varren »

Maroon 5 wrote:Well... looks believable... but I'm still skeptical. Why isn't it publicized to generate more income? How come only admins and mods (except Varren) have access?

and why do we even need MSN? What's the purpose of emails, PM's, DrupalChat, and minichat?

Its a gift for proven members of the community. We don't want to make HQ into a money wh***** website. Although this does account for a large amount of HQ income, yet we do not get paid one dime ;)
SvenPhantom
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by SvenPhantom »

This pretty good for chatting but no emoticons sadly.
If God had wanted the army to fly, he would have made the sky brown.
If God meant man to fly, He'd have given us bigger wallets.
If God had meant for men to fly he would have made their bones hollow and not their heads.