"Field In Sight"-A guide to CAGA flying in YSFS

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

"Field In Sight"-A guide to CAGA flying in YSFS

Post by Turbofan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 am

Hey folks,

Turbofan here. It seems like the general interest in commercial and general aviation flying has dwindled quite a bit, so to get something started in the Civilian forums again, I thought I might share some stuff about flying for fun in YSFS, or Commercial And General Aviation (CAGA) flying. Twice a month each month, I will be posting something about flying everything from general aviation props to heavies, and stuff I have learnt over the years (hopefully regularly, or as and when I have time on hand). I have flown basically only civilian props and jets since I discovered YSFS back in 2002, with a few exceptions when I flew a fighter jet, or an A-10 Thunderbolt. Helicopters are a different story, I haven't done much flying with those. So whatever I post-be it how to flare or how I make airports busy with air traffic-will be pertaining to civilian planes (non-VTOL). Also note that this is just stuff I have learnt over the years, and you do not have to do it this way or agree with me. Only if you want to learn how to have fun flying as close to realism as you can in YSFS without getting too technical about it.

Today's topic will be a short one: Using rapid exit taxiways in YS Flight. As you are aware, ground steering in YSFS is based on an incrementing system and is therefore not too realistic, as it does not use friction like in real life. But that's not a big deal really, because you can use the .dat file to your advantage. Basically, I found out that the value of the control variable CYAWMANE is what allows you to control the steering rate of any aircraft in YSFS. A value of 2.0 is what works for most jetliners/props, but for some aircraft, even that might be too fast of a turn rate.

Back when the excellent West Japan Map debuted, YSFS did not have as many maps with rapid-exit taxiways, and I never paid much attention to turning aircraft on taxiways. I just accepted the default assigned turn rate. Actually, for those of you new to the sim, the turn rate is actually the yaw rate, which is what controls the aircraft's turn rate while it's in the air as well. Thus, CYAWMANE is the parameter name. Anyway, to keep a long story short, I realized the ground turn rate of 5.0 was too high for me to keep a smooth transition from the runway onto the taxiway, and either I had to slow it down to 15 knots, which defeated the purpose of having a rapid-exit in the first place, or I had to exit at a non-rapid-exit. Finally, I tried Takaty's Air Do 737-400, and I was able to exit on a rapid-exit taxiway like you see in real-life videos, and that's when it gave me a clue to look in the aircraft's data (.dat) file. It took me a while but eventually I figured out that the parameter CYAWMANE was the one that controlled the aircraft's ground steering/turn rate. That also led me into further experimenting with .dat file values. Now I have configured the .dat files of all my favourite, heavily-used aircraft to where I can fly them as close to the real deal as possible, but I could keep going on and on, and this is on one topic. So, if you want to taxi at reasonable speeds and turn at taxiway intersections realistically, or use rapid-exit taxiways, set CYAWMANE to 2.0:

CYAWMANE 2.0

An additional benefit of this value is that you might find you can handle the aircraft easier during turns while in the air.

Note that the yaw stability control, CYAWSTAB does not have to be changed, unless you deem it necessary. I have it at a value of 3.0 in all my .dat files.

It will take you a while to get used to the new setting of 2.0, especially if you have used the default, which usually 5.0. Depending on the rapid-exit you are planning on using, you can exit at 30 kt or greater, although a good range would be between 30 kt and 40 kt. There is no rule of thumb for exiting runways using rapid exit taxiways, one thing I've learnt is that there is no substitute for practicing any aspect of flying. You just have to get out there and do it till you figure it out. You have to pick a spot when you'll begin turning off the runway, and use a combination of braking and turn increments so you can stick to the taxiway and not go careening off it. :)

Next topic I'll cover is aligning an aircraft onto a runway centerline as accurately as possible,which is actually made easier with a CYAWMANE value of 2.0.
Check out my YSFS videos on my Youtube channel!
-----------------------
ATRP: When used in my posts refers to "Air Traffic Replay Project"
-----------------------
Avatar: Pratt and Whitney JT8D-219
-----------------------
My general rant: I will call them blended winglets, not Sharklets; There is no CEO, it's just simply put, an Airbus 319/320/321, or the 320NEO, 321NEO etc. I didn't land IN DAL, I landed AT DAL. On the other hand, I did land in Dallas.
-----------------------
New website update as of July 3, 2018: New map modification policy under "Map Information" and updates to the GRID and WIP!
Turbofan's Terminal

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Re: "Field In Sight"-A guide to CAGA flying in YSFS

Post by wingzfan99 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:20 am

Very helpful article, especially for those who don't use joysticks (though I would highly recommend getting one...).
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:08 am

Well worth the read for the info of .dat input.
After leaving real world flying years ago I had pretty much ignored ATC regs in ysFlight as a matter of who really cares here any way.
But lately I have been listening to live ATC.net for KSYR Hancock airport
And found myself missing the interaction with controllers.
As what I fly mostly is Gen. Av. here and in the world when I was active
I think this is trully helpful to the Civ.enthusiast on Ys.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:28 pm

Ahh so this isn't as boring as I thought it might be. ;) Seriously though, thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Also if you have any suggestions/ideas for future topics please go right ahead, I'll be all eyes. \O--O/
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
My general rant: I will call them blended winglets, not Sharklets; There is no CEO, it's just simply put, an Airbus 319/320/321, or the 320NEO, 321NEO etc. I didn't land IN DAL, I landed AT DAL. On the other hand, I did land in Dallas.
-----------------------
New website update as of July 3, 2018: New map modification policy under "Map Information" and updates to the GRID and WIP!
Turbofan's Terminal

Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Just gotta point out that, as handling characteristic, this is synchronized with the server.
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:07 pm

^That's true, good point Animal. I've had to get used to 5.0 again now that I have started flying on servers but at the same time wish they were all 2.0 on the CYAWMANE. :twisted: So yeah, my "tutorial" if you can call it that is for offline flying.

Now the YGL/Stellar pack jets that have been installed on servers after the re-release have the adjusted CYAWMANE 2.0 values, so those planes will for sure be rapid-exit taxiway (RET) friendly. Like I said though, some planes will still not be adjusted well wnough even with a 2.0 value, they will need some additional "tailoring", thus if you look at the Global 330-200, you will find it has a 1.0, not a 2.0.
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
Turbofan's Terminal

Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 pm

I honestly think I am the only person in YSFlight right now who uses rudder pedals. CH Pro ones, couldn't live without them. Adds such a diminsion in flying.

"si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes"

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:03 pm

You wont be Crow in a month or so.I will be aquiring a yoke,peddles and throttle quads for Ysflight.I would get the whole suite of instruments if Ys would support it I am not even sure if the quads will work on Ys.

Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:38 pm

I remember back when I flew 737s and heavies with a roller ball mouse. Let's just say flying became somewhat of an adventure when the roller ball socket started to deteriorate... Now an optical and the keyboard suit me fine, though I might get that "fancy" stuff later at some point.
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
-----------------------
Turbofan's Terminal

rileyturkey
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757

Post by rileyturkey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:02 pm

I love my stick twist rudder:P
Got Blunt?

Animal
Animal
Animal

Post by Animal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:44 am

Scarecrow wrote:I honestly think I am the only person in YSFlight right now who uses rudder pedals. CH Pro ones, couldn't live without them. Adds such a diminsion in flying.
Oh please, I've been using Saitek Pro-flight pedals for 9 months. Plus a pairr of Thrustmaster Cougar MFD's.

Maybe a pic is in order
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:54 am

Yes please Animal a picture is worth at least a couple of words.
Curious about those MFDs you mentioned.

Animal
Animal
Animal

Post by Animal » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:40 am

Gunny wrote:Yes please Animal a picture is worth at least a couple of words.
http://www.simhq.com/_technology2/technology_086a.html

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:12 am

Animal wrote:

Excellent choice of Joystick. Is that the X52 or the X52 Pro? The standard X52 is what I use when I'm feeling realistic. Otherwise I have a cheapie Logitech that I use. Wish I had some pedals though :D
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

Animal
Animal
Animal

Post by Animal » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:01 am

wingzfan99 wrote:
Animal wrote:

Excellent choice of Joystick. Is that the X52 or the X52 Pro? The standard X52 is what I use when I'm feeling realistic. Otherwise I have a cheapie Logitech that I use. Wish I had some pedals though :D
X52. My next stick will either be a Thrustmaster Warthog, or a Saitek X65F