Forever's Workshop

Personal work in progress topics go here
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: Reverse's Workshop

Post by NightRaven »

ReverseFate wrote:Lights - CLA 30, 31, 32 (Have no idea how to add them/make them, DNMViewer maybe?)
Low-Poly Base Cockpit Silhouette and Pilot in the Main DNM (Have no idea how to make those either)
Tail Hook (Have no idea how to Import it/Animate it)
Panel Lines (Have no idea how to add them)
Blank Version (Working on it)
Working Cockpit inside DNM (Don't know how to do that either)
Please Help Me :lol:
Pilot is here. Add as per normal in Blender.
Lights are here. Instructions included in thread.
Tail hook can be a simple elongated cube. Position in Blender and animate in DNMViewer. Dragon's tutorial here.
Panel lines... make them. There is no specific way to make them.
Inside cockpit dnm... make an srf. dnms will be accepted, but ANIMATED dnms will not. Again, there is no specific way of making these srfs, so you will have to learn by trial and error.

Also, make the initiative to find these things out. That way you will learn faster instead of relying on others.

But looking good so far. :)
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35/Su-37

Post by ForeverYMonster »

Actually NightRaven, you say to find things out yourself, I found Dragons tut already, just earlier stole a hook from the CVW-171 Mig-29 and put it on the tail of my Froggie, but yeah I dont know how to animate the tail, its so confusing

-- Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:55 am --

And for the pilot, I put him in the cockpit, but he is transperent, and in YS there is an open hole where the cockpit is when viewed from above, about to check the lights out
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-35A

Post by Dragon029 »

I might get around to creating a brief video tutorial some day soon.
Per Ardua Ad Astra
>>> Dragon Addon Pack <<<
(PAK-FA, F/A-52, F/A-36, MQ-21)
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

ReverseFate wrote: and in YS there is an open hole where the cockpit is when viewed from above
The canopy should be a separate srf model from your fuselage. Make sure in the DNM you put the canopy (and any other transparent parts) at the bottom of the listing to help the YSF gfx engine render it properly.(*)

In general, never mix transparent and non-transparent polygons in the same SRF model. If something needs to be transparent, SEPARATE THEM AND MAKE A STANDALONE SRF MODEL FOR IT. And always put them at the bottom of the listing in the DNM.

(*) why? YSF draws the various objects in a DNM in the order they are listed in the file. So putting the non-transparent objects first means that they get drawn fully, before the transparent part is drawn. Stuff that I learned on my own 10 years ago when YSF first introduced transparency functions.
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

Well I got the actual hook itself to attach onto the hook base thru DNMViewer but I have no idea how to animate it when I press the arresting hook button in the STA panel, any help ideas? Image
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

To answer your question, go to Dragon's DNMViewer tutorial.
I know it's rather confusing, but it's your best bet.

The reason why it doesn't move is because you haven't defined the angle of which to move when you put the hook down.
And STA 2 isn't ticked, so it will disappear when it is put down.

I see a couple of issues with how the DNM is organised.

First, name your parts logically.
what is 0000.001? Or 0000.002?

Secondly, the filenames of the parts (the second name of the object eg hook.srf, noseg.srf) MUST have the extension .srf, or it may cause D3D YSF to crash.

Also, the hook may animate wrongly.
The position of the hook is 0 0 0. That means that it will rotate around the middle of the aircraft rather than at the end of the hook and it wont stay there.
Taskforce 58
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-104, Tu-95, Piaggio Avanti

Post by Taskforce 58 »

NightRaven wrote:First, name your parts logically.
Very important tip right there. Ask yourself: "if I stop working on this and come back a year later, will I still be able to figure out what part is for what purpose?" If your answer is no, then you should rename your parts to something more obvious. Just because Soji didn't name his parts clearly in the default models doesn't mean you should follow that practice.
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

lol i named the hook "hook" and the other things..well they were already pre-named. ive been TRYING and TRYING to figure out dragons tut but i cant get past the part to import the .srf, animating is confusing as hell

-- Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:20 pm --

Just finished repainting the F/A-18C for the Phillip Island International Airshow, if anyone hasn't noticed yet, I have a thing for he Solo Wing Pixy paint scheme from Ace Combat 0, took about an hour, Decaff, y u put so mach detail in your aircraft?!?!
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

/flame on

If you want the detail, don't complain about the amount of work required to repaint it. Decaff made it detailed because he wanted to. If you don't like it, DON'T USE IT. Simple as that.

/flame off

Ace Combat?
8-)
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon029 »

ReverseFate wrote:lol i named the hook "hook" and the other things..well they were already pre-named. ive been TRYING and TRYING to figure out dragons tut but i cant get past the part to import the .srf, animating is confusing as hell
What part of importing the .srf is troubling you? Is it that you don't know what to click, or that you can't locate your .srf?
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

No I meant it like I made it to that step, but I cant make it any farther, I clicked the STA1 and STA2 boxes but I dont know how to get any farther or what to write in them
Dragon029
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon029 »

There isn't really a specific number or anything you need to put into them.

Say you want to put a green light onto a wing (wink wink).

Say the plane is an F/A-18. I know that the Hornet has a wingspan of something like 14m.

If we look at images of the F/A-18, we also know that the green navigation lights are on right side of the aircraft; at the wingtip (where the leading edge meets the wingtip missile rail) and roughly halfway along the leading-edge root extensions (the things that come from near the nose and meet the front of the wing, in front of the engine intake).

Because the plane is sitting at the origin, each wingtip's X value will be 7 or -7

Now, our lights may be sitting in empty air; we therefore need to move it backwards or forward, by changing the Z position (eg, maybe Z= 1.5).

Maybe it's at the wingtip, but it's hovering under it. We might try a Y value of 0.5 then.

Now, it's really close, but it's not exactly in position, so we'll change the X value to 6.90, Y value to 0.45 and Z value to 1.53.

If the light is like a sphere or a 3D star, that you can see through the wing, then that's done. If it's only a little 2D light, you'll then have to go do the same thing for the top / bottom (the opposite side) of the wing.

---

Now that it's in place, we actually need to leave DNMViewer, because you cannot give lights the proper CLA in DNMViewer (they were introduced after DNMViewer was made).

This is where it gets kinda tricky, but not that hard (there isn't any maths involved :P ).

After you've finished your plane, open up Notepad (or the Mac or Linux equivalent) and drag your .dnm into the Notepad window.

The .dnm will appear as a bunch of numbers; don't stress. Open up the search function (I think it's under Edit -> Find) and search for the name of your light's .srf (exactly as you spelt it in DNMViewer).

The first result should be at the top of dozens of lines of numbers; don't worry about that one, go into the next result.

The next result should be near the bottom of the file, and it should have "CLA" and a number near it (next to it or under it, I can't remember). We need to change that number (which will be a zero if you didn't change it in DNMViewer), to the CLA number of a navigation light.

If we go to the CLA Tables thread here on YSFHQ, we see that Nav lights are CLA 30; so we change the 0 to a 30.

Save (but do not "Save As...", otherwise you'll probably save it as a text document) and exit Notepad.

Open your plane up in YSF (once you have it in a .lst, and you have a .dat and .coll for it) and it should have the nav lights appear when you press (I think?) i.

In about a week when I get back home, I should have the opportunity (hopefully) to do another video tutorial. In that, I can go over some more stuff that people have confusion with (please let me know what I can include in these videos, or what I need to improve upon).

(EDIT: That was a close call; I clicked submit, but then it just refreshed and all my text was gone - maybe it was some kind of timeout Eric? Fortunately I have a Firefox addon specifically for recovering text written in boxes).
Per Ardua Ad Astra
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

Got the lights finished, thanks for the help Dragon, I couldn't find a image of a Frogfoot at night so I assumed where to put them, anybody have any ideas why the cockpit isn't showing? I am going to try putting it in the .dnm like I am supposed to but whenever i tried earlier it just disappeared in the transparency.

-- Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:14 am --

Added the pilot and cockpit itself into the .dnm, also edited the dat to fit more rockets where the A2A missiles could be. Just need to figure out how to add details to the cockpit panel, learn to make panel lines, animate the arresting hook, and paint a different version with a camouflage and some decals

-- Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:11 am --

Used the WPNSHAPE feature and added Russian weapons to the Su-25

-- Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:10 pm --

Got annoyed by the look of the lights under my plane, so I joined them with the gear, also for realism purposes

-- Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:24 pm --

I put the Arresting Hook into place, I am going to try and study Dragon's tut extensively to figure out how to do it. Oh and NightRaven when you read this I found what I was talking about, you press N when an object is selected and a box with controls to edit the XYZ's pops up and I got the Hook to rest onto the fuselage of the aircraft
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

That was why I said the letter n. To make that box pop up in Blender.

lol u didn't realise... :lol:

And, make sure the hook's center is around the area you want the hook to rotate. Hooks rotate, they don't automatically detach themselves from the fuselage and move up and down.

Also, the light srf consists of 2 segments : an inner "light bulb" (non-transparent) and an imitated glass shell (somewhat transparent). What I see now is that the entire light is non-transparent. Go back to Blender and make the outer faces transparent.
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

Modified a Su-27 Cockpit to fit the silhouette panel, pretty satisfied with it for the most part, was pretty simple, I was reading through one of the tutorials I had because NightRaven had said create decals for panel lines and I noticed the part about vertices, so I imported the Su-27 cockpit and moved the vertices around

-- Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:40 pm --

Just finished converting panel lines from the CVW-171 Su-25, was a long, painful process but it was worth it. All there is left is a painted version, possibly a cockpit upgrade and that damn hook
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

Long, painful process? How? I only took 15 mins to do the same. Minor adjusting and some stuff.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

But Im not very good at modding yet, pssshhh you probably made/painted most of those planes in the 57th, I only repainted 3-4 aircraft and this is the first plane ive edited and built upon. And there were some major adjustments for this aircraft, adjusting the gear lines, cockpit lines, most of the lines were out of place and weren't attached to anything
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

No, dude, you only have to know a couple things in Blender to do it fast and simple. Because it is. You can import any kind of model that is in another format that is not .blend (.dnm included) into the .blend that you have opened, and have it there as another model. When you get the 171st plane into the blend, just get the panel lines onto the craft, adjust them a bit. I did the same thing with the 171st Gripen into the 57th one, and the HQPGAC F-22 onto the 57th Bruja.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
ForeverYMonster
Contributor
Contributor

I imported the CVW-171 Su-25 as a .dnm and then removed everything except the panel lines and then imported my Su-25 and there was alot of adjusting to do, because the UGP variant is a 2-seater trainer variant and my aircraft is a 1-seat attack variant. Also the gear were in different positions and then I had to fix the issue of when I pressed page down the decals folded :lol: Try using the "Su-25K_Ukraine" from the 2chpack and then taking the decals of the CVW-171 model and see it

-- Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:04 pm --

Ok so I just noticed that the faces next to my engine at the tail are grey and I am unable to find a fix, I tried turning the plane transparent-ish and paint the inside face if I even did that right or if it even works but it is really getting on my nerves, could somebody please help :?
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by NightRaven »

Go into Vertex Paint.
Press B twice.
Once a circle appears, select the faces that you want to paint. Hopefully it will select the duplicate faces.

In 2ch GAC aircraft like these, duplicate faces are everywhere to prevent shadowing issues. To see what I mean, go into solid view mode, then go to edit mode, select all and remove doubles (from the dropdown menu after pressing W). Then you'll see the epic shadowing that most people wouldn't want to see. Yes, shadowing issues are fixed, but they sure are a hell lot harder to edit.

If the above fails, go into perspective view instead and paint from there.