TeamSpeak Usage

Announcements which were previously posted on our Drupal and WordPress blogs.
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

TeamSpeak Usage

Post by Eric »

Ace Lord
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: B-52H Stratofortress

Re: TeamSpeak Usage

Post by Ace Lord »

Most other Teamspeak servers I've connected to have an "Off-Topic" area to keep issues like this from happening. WoT Teamspeak servers are all clan oriented and come with a perma-ban to those not affiliated with the clan. I have not found any KSP Teamspeak servers as of yet, but it is probable there are none.
< BoH
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

I may not be psychic, but I could see this decision potentially having disastrous consequences for YSFHQ. This may drive away potential members.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015
wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 »

MD5Ray01 wrote:I may not be psychic, but I could see this decision potentially having disastrous consequences for YSFHQ. This may drive away potential members.
I think disastrous might be a strong word. It will drive away a couple of people that never had anything to do with YS in the first place, but most of us are here on YSFlight Headquarters for... ahem...

YSFlight.
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload
Ace Lord
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: B-52H Stratofortress

Post by Ace Lord »

wingzfan99 wrote:I think disastrous might be a strong word. It will drive away a couple of people that never had anything to do with YS in the first place, but most of us are here on YSFlight Headquarters for... ahem...

YSFlight.
I use the HQ Teamspeak for non-YS game chatting because I am familiar with the users and, up until this point, everyone has been fine with myself and Ray switching channels away from the main cluster of users currently connected.
< BoH
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

I am certainly aware of your concerns, and anticipated them before I posted this. Hopefully this response addresses them.

Perhaps this isn't the best way of going about it, but the underlying problem I'm trying to solve is that we need more activity in YS. I have ideas on how to increase it through other means, but that takes a great deal of time and effort. In the meantime: If we're off playing other games on a server for YSFlight, doesn't that seem a bit counter-intuitive to you? Having an "Other Games" section was my initial idea - however after talking to other admins it became apparent that wasn't going to solve the problem or address the concerns of those worried about the TeamSpeak server straying too far from its original purpose.

I know many of you already have the capability to host a YSFlight server. If you want to start a new TeamSpeak server for you and your friends' use, then go right ahead. If you have a substantial YSFlight VA or squadron already in place, you get your own private channel which may be subject to less scrutiny.

As owners of the server, we are making the choice to focus on YSFlight, because frankly, we can't afford to waver from that mission. Personally, I've put in countless hours into the game & its community simply because I want to see my childhood project transform into something much greater, something we can all be proud of. I know this decision is going to upset some of you, and may hurt us a little in the short-term. But in the long run, this will make us a stronger and more focused community.

I hope you are able to see this other way of thinking. You certainly do not have to agree with it, but I would like its validity to be acknowledged. Thanks for voicing your concerns.
I make this website.
Doomsday
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: PEW PEW PEW PEW

Post by Doomsday »

There are numerous of other options to communicate with friends when playing, I use steam chat when playing with CS:GO or any kind of steam game with my buddies. I used group calls Skype when I played World of Tanks with friends. There are more than just teamspeak when it comes to communicating to people when playing any kind of game.

On a side note, be sure to change your teamspeak voice settings to "Push-to-Talk", nobody wants to hear your rambling on what you are going to put on your rocket when playing Kerbal Space Program on the main channel.
PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW PEW

Team Awesome# 131
Shutter
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: wut

Post by Shutter »

I'd say a misc section is always a good idea. 171TS never had more than about 50% ys talk in the main area (if that), and we were about as good as it got in terms of ys-related ts.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Woah, shutter is back?

O_o

On-topic,
I do agree with shutter about having a Misc section like our forum. I'm pretty sure there's more activity there than most other sections.
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star »

I am afraid I cannot agree to this. The community here are close, we have a group of friends close together on that teamspeak. We don't want to be changing channel just to talk about a game or even server. There is a group of the regulars that all play games together. If these new rules go ahead, I am going to say now it WILL have a bad effect on the teamspeak and forum. I want this to thrive but YSFlight its self just isn't sufficient enough to hold a teamspeak just for the people. Only about 10 people a day on average fly on YSFlight. To sustain a community, I recommend that its a teamspeak server for the people that are on YSFHQ. On it, they do what they like, within the rules stated before now. If this doesn't happen then I have to agree with MD5Ray01 by "having disastrous consequences for YSFHQ"
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

I suppose you have to ask if it really is one of the big issues. Obviously people are divided.

So I guess it comes down to this: Does this erroneous usage add any cost to YSFHQ? If yes; is it worth having this cost to get people onto a YS related site, and maybe getting people interested in YSFlight?

The way I see it: People online = good. The game servers are rarely used these days and people regularly on TS may get people interested in being regularly online and onto HQ. This may in turn get people flying regularly again - this may be stretching it a tad.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

I would personally be okay with people just showing bit more collateral respect in regards to moving to a seperate channel to discuss other business, and to not speak to themselves with the mic on...

I think, this should be a matter of balance.

As shutter says, 171st stuff was roughly 50% YS, maybe less.

That's fair go, as lon as nothing else is over the YS usage.

Balance. 6 days of Kerbal/World of Tanks and then 1 day of YS isn't right or fair use of the server, vice versa, is.

That said, my thoughts on the now lack of Kerbal/WoT:

I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
TheJuli
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: B777

Post by TheJuli »

OfficerFlake wrote:I would personally be okay with people just showing bit more collateral respect in regards to moving to a seperate channel to discuss other business, and to not speak to themselves with the mic on...
I really agree with that. If you can do your talking to a different place and not disturb the main "Hall" that's fine by me.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the new rule about only YS and non-related stuff, that means we have to constantly talk all the time 100% YS. Sometimes in Ys we do something different maybe games, radio, talk shows, etc (Even though some of them haven't happened) to go out of the ordinary and feel a bit more "home". The teamspeak I use its a perfect place to spend my time with my YS buddies and not rarely we play some other games or disscuss about something that has nothing to do with Ys. I think banning it would make it more radical and honestly people would only join whenever they felt to play Ys. Sometimes even by talking about stuff, sparks a desire to play YS (happened to me). If this becomes a rule, frankly many people would be banned or constantly kicked ruining their TS Experience. It needs to be a bit more friendly go out of the ordinary a bit. Too strict is never good.
Nath
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: Panavia Tornado GR4

Post by Nath »

I have to agree with Juli, MD5 and Alpha. Not only is this a place that we go and talk about YS on, we're on here a majority of the time, the regulars are currently on this server right now, including myself. I can see that it can be an issue that people are just doing things that aren't relating to YSFlight, but this forum itself isn't always about YS, so why should the teamspeak be different. I mean, we spend a lot of time talking about YS and things like that, but there's no reason why we should really not talk about anything else on the server. It'd be kind of annoying/ awkward to have to go into another channel to talk about anything non YS related. It's not just about YS, like Juli said, we have conversations about anything, play music to each other in the Music Channel, show people our creations and things that are funny. We literally do anything on there that we would do on the forums, but there we can freely talk to each other for hours on end, if we want to.
Varren
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Anything with wings.

Post by Varren »

Just want to pop in and say that the only reason the Teamspeak server exists in the first place is to allow people to chat via voice to each other while playing YSFlight to make the experience more enjoyable. Since then, its obviously expanded with things like the aforementioned music channel and whatnot but it's main purpose is the same - YSFlight. However, payment for this server is mostly coming from the community now in the means of donations. So I'm not too sure where I stand on this, maybe the community should decide what the server is for, and maybe they shouldn't as its actually harming the community.
Welshy
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Sea Jet

Post by Welshy »

If I'm honest the off topic stuff gets on my nerves, more so when it's other games!
YSFHQ Elected Overlord
Overlord of VMFA-125 (CVW-171)
Previously Supreme Overlord of 323rd CAW
Friendly Neighbourhood Miscreant
Head Honcho at Talking Aero and British Defence
If you see me post like this in a thread pay attention!
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by Alpha Star »

If this stays, then the teampseak now, will die. Someone will go and make another server for us, and the YSFHQ one will die out. I don't want that to happen, but I think it will. Therefore wasted money.
I want to emphasize that the YSFlight community is not sufficient enough to support a team speak just for YSFlight. With many years of YSF experience, along with others, I know what a lot of new members want and do on teamspeak. Less than 30% of the time, we talk and play YSF.
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.
wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by wingzfan99 »

Alpha Star wrote: I want to emphasize that the YSFlight community is not sufficient enough to support a team speak just for YSFlight.
We've only been doing so in some way, shape, or form for what, 3 years now? If you're saying that the discussion of other games is absolutely necessary for the survival of our Teamspeak server, then you're confirming exactly what Eric said in his post -- we have a problem with YSFlight as a game and need to work on reviving it.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy into this "the teamspeak will die if we don't talk about everything other than YS" thing. This has only recently become a problem, and I will say, almost every time I've been online in the past few weeks, it's been going on. Maybe Eric misspoke, because we're not saying if you talk about the weather you're going to be banned from the server -- what we're saying is that the main purpose of the TeamSpeak server is to communicate with others while sharing in the experience of YSFlight. If you want to throw in a quick discussion about something else, fine.

Let me illustrate it this way:

New Member: "Hi guys! I've never played this YSFlight game before, what server are you all on?"
People on TS: "Hey! We're not playing YS, we're playing this other really cool game called World of Tanks... wanna join?"
New Member: "Oh! Sure, that sounds fun!"

And now, they still haven't played YSFlight. Sure, our TS Server might survive, but the game won't.

Also, @Varren, as the person who's been monitoring the money, I believe about 90% of the donations, used to fund the server, come from like 4 or 5 individuals (full disclosure: I'm probably one of them).
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team

Post by Alpha Star »

Ok, I can see why completely Wingzfan. I can understand the problem, and I may have over exaggerated a bit. :? I can understand why the game is dying. But we are still getting people. Charlie3tears I will use as an example. Saw him on a server, he said its his first time or one of the first times. I told him about YSFHQ and he has now got a squadron and he is now a regular on teamspeak. So there is hope there still, but we just need to play the game.
Dan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dan »

Let me illustrate it this way:

New Member: "Hi guys! I've never played this YSFlight game before, what server are you all on?"
People on TS: "Hey! We're not playing YS, we're playing this other really cool game called World of Tanks... wanna join?"
New Member: "Oh! Sure, that sounds fun!"

And now, they still haven't played YSFlight. Sure, our TS Server might survive, but the game.
Great example, I totally agree with this as it defeats the purpose of the YSFlight server. Every time I go on team speak I always make sure it's a reason to do with YSFlight, However I think if the staff made a decision to enforce this policy where would the boundaries be set? I mean what about YSFlight users who are modding or talking about YSFlight but are not flying on YSFlight?
Former CEO of Fast Airways Virtual Airline 2011-2015
Former Group Captain/Training Officer 323rd Expeditionary Air Wing
Fast Airways screenshot library https://photos.app.goo.gl/NmboSFtxxqgnGFd79
YSFlight screenshot library https://photos.app.goo.gl/tE8mS2UWyKcBPqFCA