Scarecrow for Chairman; Eric stepping down

Introductions, birthdays, and special announcements.
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Scarecrow for Chairman; Eric stepping down

Post by Eric »

Before I get to my announcement, I want to apologize for my lack of activity lately, among other criticisms I have seen. I've realized that my passion for YS is not what it once was. My heart lies somewhere else now, and I want to chase that until I achieve my goal.

That being said,

I'm delighted to announce that Scarecrow has agreed to become chairman of the Community Architects starting this week. I'll continue to do some amount of coding and be available in case something breaks, but Scarecrow is going to lead the community (along with the other architects of course).

Why the change? Because YSFHQ needs to pivot, and I'm not the best person to do that. Scarecrow is what YSFHQ needs at this stage in its evolution.

I'm convinced there's a fundamental change happening in gaming. It's becoming normal to be a gamer, thanks to mobile devices. There will be a lot more casual gamers in 10 years than there are now, and if YSFHQ is going to reach them, we'll have to market proportionally more. Additionally, our website should be simple enough that anyone can understand where to go.

Of all the people I've met in the 7 years I've been playing YSFlight, Scarecrow is one of the smartest people I know when it comes to aviation. He's got a vast amount of experience coordinating airshows and going through flight training. So when we changed our organizational structure at the beginning of the year, I was confident YSFHQ was going to have great leadership.

It's not just Scarecrow though - after getting burned out one year ago and hearing tonight's discussion, I've been thrilled to see members of the community still dedicated to improving YSFlight, some more than ever before. I've come to realize that the best course of action is for me to hand over the reigns and trust that a fresh perspective with a will to act can save HQ.

Since joining the development team of YSFHQ when it was first started by Iceman, I've poured countless hours into the site, going for increasing organization and grandiose visions. I failed a lot during that time, but I learned even more. YSFHQ has given me the opportunity to test out my skills in the real world, on real users, and I've been extremely thankful for this.

However, my decisions have not always been proportional to the size of the community. From now on, existing site development on YSFHQ's forum and portal (www.ysfhq.com) will be handled by our community managers+architects and website engineers. Creating new, innovative applications is what I've been doing since I came to YSFlight, and I'll still be making those. In fact, since I'll only be doing application development and not also worrying about running YSFHQ, I'll probably be able to produce better code.

To be clear, I'll still be ensuring YSFHQ's tech infrastructure is functioning and you can ask for help from me if questions arise or something breaks, but any site maintenance/reorganization of YSFHQ will be conducted by other staff members (mostly website engineers). My role will cease to be community leader, and instead leader of R&D for YS - that's mainly 3rd party application development.

In short: SC and the other community architects (Bomb, Gunny, Decaff) are your new leaders now. Listen to them. I'm off to go code and save the world.

Thanks for the wild flight.

P.S. - Please don't let me have to arbitrate your arguments. That's not the community anyone wants to see.
I make this website.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Re: Scarecrow for Chairman; Eric stepping down

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Thank you, Eric.... For everything. :)
Catraille
Favorite Aircraft: F-106

Post by Catraille »

YSFHQ community owes a lot to you...
Thank you, Eric!
ImageImage
Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Post by Copperhead »

Yeah thanks a bunch Eric! Now go save the world again!... blasted daleks...

^The Happy Murican^

<BoH
Alpha Star
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: One of them

Post by Alpha Star »

I believe hes fighting the Cybermen...
Thanks for everything Eric. :)
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for my signature, I can tell you I don't have one. But what I do have are a very particular lack of skills, skills I have imagined having over a very long career. Skills that make me are completely useless in any situation. If you stop reading now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't stop reading, I will look for you, I will probably not find you, and I will kill your refrigerator.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

Wow, a lot happens here in two or three days considering we're "dying". Eric, thanks for all your hard work in trying to make this community what it is. We look forward to seeing your continued involvement in our future and we will long remember your awesome contributions. See ya 'round.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

I have not been here as much as I'd like to either but I have been taking programming classes this and the last two semesters. A big thanks to Eric (and the team) for the work and effort put into this site. It's good to know you'll still be around, and I'm looking forward to the changes in store for YSFHQ.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

The future is looking very bright for HQ.

I am excited.

Eric, it goes without saying you have done outstanding work, So thank you for all that you have done so far.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Nath
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: Panavia Tornado GR4

Post by Nath »

Thank you Eric. YSFHQ is a much better place thanks to you.
Zack
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Fighting Falcon

Post by Zack »

You have made Helped YSFHQ not to evolve but thrive. thank you Eric

Good Luck Saving The World!
David
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: Grob G109B Vigilant

Post by David »

Eric, Id like to thank-you very very much for all the hard work and countless hours you have dedicated to this site. I Don't think the community could have done it without you. If there was a YS Hall of Fame, you would definitely be in it!

Best of luck on your endeavors, Eric.
Also, Best of luck to Scarecrow. I am really looking forward to the future Scarecrow brings to YSFHQ.
Kilo 11
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Supermarine Spitfire

Post by Kilo 11 »

I must say I'm surprised but at the same time thank you Eric for everything you did for YSFHQ. I'm no tech expert but I do know all the hard work it takes to make a website like this look they way it looks and works.
mh3w
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed Constellation

Post by mh3w »

Thank you for all of your hard work. I wish you the best of luck as you chase your goals! Good luck also to Scarecrow and the architects.
ysmajor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Curtiss P-40B Warhawk

Post by ysmajor »

Big thanks from me as well, and good luck in your next steps!
Its amazing to see all that you have done for this site, the community, and YS. A very respectable achievement I'd say.

Take it easy and wish you blue skies!
MD5Ray01
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10A Thunderbolt 2

Post by MD5Ray01 »

Thank you for all your hard work, Eric.
ImageImage
"Everything's better when inverted" - me, 2015