Squad combat stagnation

Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Re: Squad combat stagnation

Post by Flake »

Now what I really wanna do is finish up Orb and have weapons on/weapons off areas...
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Svarttrost
Favorite Aircraft: Gloster Javelin

Post by Svarttrost »

I'll be brief. We need new blood. When new pilots come, soon they divide into various squadrons. They gain skills, they gain interests, opinions, everything. New people bring new energy, new ideas, new direction. In every YS Pilot's life, there are years, when they have enough time for this. Of course, there are some, who stay for a long time, but let's face it: one generation is slowly disappearing, while only few new pilots are coming. We can't expect miracles, when there's nobody to work with. We need new blood.

The 323rd was very lucky to find a bucket of active pilots in these times. I, for example, returned to YS flight after 6 years. Helluva coincidence. But there's not more than ten of us, maybe not even ten. Even we can see the situation, even we fight for our member's interest. So far, our efforts were succesful. because we know, that stagnation is dangerous. We all need new blood.
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Philster had to be the most mature 12 year old I had ever met. This combined with his skill level are two of the reasons why he's gained the respect of all of the older guys.

AI can be good to train with. I use a dogfighting mission to practice my aim and another to practice multiple enemies at once - it's how you use them. One has an Arbalest that you need to shoot down... That's hard if you're out of practice or just not very good.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

In all honesty, i recognize YSFlight MilAv as a Gigantic Multi-Environment Area B7R where Squads from all over come to fight, and i doubt i'm wrong. I mean, how many Dogfights have occured in Hawaii, let alone involving squadrons? I still remember the Grabacr back on Eric's server, and the CVW-171 and everyone else pounded them to a pulp in the same way the Razgriz downed the Real Grabacr over Oured. (I'm a AC Fanboy, Bite me, at least i don't spam missiles like 40% of the AC Fanboys in Games like this)
Anywho, i do agree there is stagnation here in the Squadrons. I abandoned the 397th, and am deciding to join the 29th Otaku Force (I believe that's their name) or Start a new squadron. I'm leaning towards the former because of the issues i've had with recruitment, that and the 397th's premise is more childish than the Estovakian Invasion of Emmeria.

But enough of the Ace Combat References. I want to get this point across: The English YSFlight MilAv Community is starting to become Dormant. Hopefully the Summer's usual insurgence of new users will give us the new blood we need to kick the tires and light the fires.

-- Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:10 pm --
PR1NC3 D4RK5T4R wrote:I'm just gonna say something here.

Encouraging the return of combat YS is essentially saying that you want things to be violent again. You're saying that you want squad wars...really? Or even worse, squad servers...
I have a little story about squad servers...

Flash back to 2011-early 2012 (and bear in mind, this was when I was only 11, and I knew very little about aircraft and how they worked). The 171st server was the most active on YS at the time, with Fariiniq and Eric running close behind.
After being trolled with a lot on Fariiniq's server, one day I had decided I had had it, and went on a rampage with Major's UFO, obliterating the server.

Soon after the 171st sees this, and boom, I'm officially hated for releasing my anger on them. Mid-2011 rolls by, and Gasman and his crew start tracking me down on the 171st server and start vulching/civ-killing/whatever in an attempt to run me out of YS. Through the whole shit fest, Iceman and the rest of the 171st don't even try to help. No, they join in fucking around with me, adding onto the growing hate I had for the 171st, and YS in general.

I only found peace when that godforsaken server was overtaken by 42south and shut down.

Jump forward to now, and we finally have some sort of peace with the death of combat YS in general. Except for the occasional rule breakers, its been smooth jazz.

The return of squad-operated servers like the 171st is something that I'm not sticking around for. Do one thing wrong and you'll be at your wits' end with the shitstorm.
Maybe because you did something along the lines of destroying ground objects from what it looks like. That and knowing how the CVW-171 loves their Carrier (I think it's called the Shinji, Not entirely sure, I'm not 171st) Their massacre of you upon ripping it a new one seems fine in my book. It'd be the same result if you, for instance, Shot at a 57th Polyvalent Squadron Formation with missile Spam. Ol G-man "Rise and Shine" over there would put your crushed flying tin can into the ground before you could say mercy.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

Personally, the death of combat in YS is not a good thing.

But,

again

like what I said previously, we need initiative. YSP didn't have this problem because people were willing to put in time and effort into YS. Here, people see good opportunities but let it fly by, and they do nothing about it. And then in the end, we lament on this lost opportunity. Why don't we, whenever there's a chance, grab it and savour the results. I mean like, it's been a while since I'be seen organised battles, let alone impromptu dogfights.

I know that there are other things that are out of our control, such as real life things and timezone issues (I'm a victim :lol: ), but if we can get our asses off the ~insert appropriate slacking ground~ and actually do something about this, we won't be here discussing and not doing anything about it.

Really, a start anywhere would be good. There's new members, squads (attempting) to get back up, and this combo is good to jump-start everything again.

Grab this before it's gone.
Venom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15E Strike Eagle

Post by Venom »

Well the problem in my opinion, is simply that noone is acting to FIX the problem. Everyone has all these great ideas to kickstart the combat community and what not, but noone is doing anything. And when someone comes forward with a potentially great idea they actually plan on carrying out, it gets shot down by everyone else.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

It looks like to me there's a lack of a MilAv Interest than a stagnation of the MilAv Community here at YSFHQ.

-- Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:31 am --
Venom wrote:Well the problem in my opinion, is simply that noone is acting to FIX the problem. Everyone has all these great ideas to kickstart the combat community and what not, but noone is doing anything. And when someone comes forward with a potentially great idea they actually plan on carrying out, it gets shot down by everyone else.
After thinking a little, i'm betwixt my theory and Venom's. and i'm starting to lean towards venom's. You all need to stop being like me, lazing around or saying you'll do it when you'll end up forgetting it or end up having to do something else. Now, i just got back here after god knows how long, and for what reason i left, hell if i know, Hell if i care, but one thing is certain. I am not going going to let this situation continue any further.

Someone suggested a revamp of the Ganja Gang Event that happened several years ago, that thread was left to rot. The Blacklist? Same story. Now does the Nugget that's been flying in YS for more than 2 years and still can't shoot down Iceman to save his life have to sit here and give orders to the big dogs, are are you all going to take some initiative?
:x
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Plenty of initiative, little time my friend.

There's only so much people are willing to do for little fun factor. I don't really find dogfighting, or YS for that matter, all that exciting anymore. I'm hanging around for the good old days, which won't come back.

Why does it have to be the "vets" that have to bring combat back? Why can't the new guys stand up and build their own future.... What can you contribute to this future?...

The details have been hashed out so many times it's getting old... Fast. It's really quite simple. Are people interested... I'd say not really. If they were, they'd make it happen regardless of time constraints and effort required.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

Rambling Red Ranger wrote:Why does it have to be the "vets" that have to bring combat back? Why can't the new guys stand up and build their own future.... What can you contribute to this future?...

That's a good point.

NUGGETS! ASSEMBLE!
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D

Post by Margatroid »

Midnight Rambler wrote:Why does it have to be the "vets" that have to bring combat back? Why can't the new guys stand up and build their own future.... What can you contribute to this future?...
precisely this. a lot of people expect the older combat-heads to step up and take the initiative, but the thing is, we've already been there and done that. trying to continue rivalries which are already long dead, lead by people that lack the time they used to have is like flogging a dead horse, which is also why in my previous post that the old squads should die their overdue deaths and let the newer squads/younger members take the initiative:
Margatroid wrote:yeah im gonna be completely honest.. i dont know either, but i would say its best to start things off a new (ie new squads need to take the initiative instead of the 171st, 49th and RPFS, and those three names need to stay on the sidelines or stay dead). at least the 323rd and 57th exist though. if 57th bothers building up we might see some activity between the two squads.
that 57th vs RFPS skirmish was a good example. nothing was happening between the two squads even though they were at "war" with each other, then i fought voluntarily on 57th's side for one day. shitloads of fighting happened on that one day, but then the next day and onwards when i wasnt there it just went back to nothing. its as if older players have to be there in order for anything to actually happen and the new people cant be bothered to lead or teach themselves.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

I have to agree with Alisent here. it's time to let me and other fresh meat go have fun while you old farts either teach us how to do it or sit back and watch.
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171

Post by Margatroid »

Mahora-27 wrote:I have to agree with Alisent here. it's time to let me and other fresh meat go have fun while you old farts either teach us how to do it or sit back and watch.
well, i wouldnt necessarily say that we dont want to join in the fun anymore. we do. its just we dont have the time or enthusiasm to lead anymore, whereas the younger members probably do. its worth noting that the 171st, RPFS, 49th all started off when we were pretty young and we were pretty engaged in it. its been 7-8 years since then...

yep, thats right everyone, its nearly been a decade and somehow people still expect us oldies to take the intiative.
Last edited by Margatroid on Mon May 05, 2014 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Venom »

Midnight Rambler wrote:Plenty of initiative, little time my friend.

There's only so much people are willing to do for little fun factor. I don't really find dogfighting, or YS for that matter, all that exciting anymore. I'm hanging around for the good old days, which won't come back.

Why does it have to be the "vets" that have to bring combat back? Why can't the new guys stand up and build their own future.... What can you contribute to this future?...

The details have been hashed out so many times it's getting old... Fast. It's really quite simple. Are people interested... I'd say not really. If they were, they'd make it happen regardless of time constraints and effort required.

Because sadly, most of the new people just don't care to preserve and carry on the "combat torch". Well if everyone else feels the way you do about new guys trying to revive it, then noone has any right to complain about it being dead.
Shiny Rice
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35

Post by Shiny Rice »

These past 3 weeks we haven't had much stuff going on, but this weekend I'll try to get ourselves organised. usp3333 is giving life signs, and another member too, so I'll try to get our act together.
CO of the 57th Cloud Rippers
"We rip those clouds apart so you can see the sun!"
Now 100% more decomissioned!
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171

Post by Margatroid »

Venom wrote:Because sadly, most of the new people just don't care to preserve and carry on the "combat torch". Well if everyone else feels the way you do about new guys trying to revive it, then noone has any right to complain about it being dead.
thats not exactly true, otherwise no new squads would exist. they do need to do more however; currently theyre not doing much other than picking up members.
Venom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Venom »

Margatroid wrote:
Venom wrote:Because sadly, most of the new people just don't care to preserve and carry on the "combat torch". Well if everyone else feels the way you do about new guys trying to revive it, then noone has any right to complain about it being dead.
thats not exactly true, otherwise no new squads would exist. they do need to do more however; currently theyre not doing much other than picking up members.
There is a difference in existing and evolving. People join a squadron but don't care about the bigger picture.
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171

Post by Margatroid »

Venom wrote:
Margatroid wrote:
There is a difference in existing and evolving. People join a squadron but don't care about the bigger picture.
true that
CalvT
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F/A-18E

Post by CalvT »

Right time for my ten cents. I agree with the fact that we younger members haven't taken things up like we should. But maybe there's a reason for that? (Or at least half a reason). From what I've seen, the reason a lot of the squads stopped is that the leaders suddenly had to do other things and couldn't dedicate time to YS like before. Younger smaller guys don't care too much about it as it's not their own squad, they weren't the one deciding stuff, so they just let it stop. So my suggestion is this. The good younger ones, the ones that care about the squad, maybe they could be given some post with a bit of responsibility, so that if the leaders have to stop, it's not majorly hard for them to take over?
Also, be a bit kinder to people? I remember when I had the time to join a squad, and so heading to a site to sign up. But before I applied, I read some of the other applicants and their responses. They where so, um arrogant we dont want style?, that I decided to go without. I understand that ever noob is not wanted but still....
I may be completly wrong about all the above, I probably am. But that's just a couple of my thoughts.
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171

Post by Margatroid »

CalvT wrote:So my suggestion is this. The good younger ones, the ones that care about the squad, maybe they could be given some post with a bit of responsibility, so that if the leaders have to stop, it's not majorly hard for them to take over?
agreed, but lets keep in mind that starting your own squads works too.
CalvT wrote:Also, be a bit kinder to people? I remember when I had the time to join a squad, and so heading to a site to sign up. But before I applied, I read some of the other applicants and their responses. They where so, um arrogant we dont want style?, that I decided to go without. I understand that ever noob is not wanted but still....
I may be completly wrong about all the above, I probably am. But that's just a couple of my thoughts.
ahahahahahahaahahhaa we all know whos responsible for that

aahhahaahahha

ahaha

aha

fuck my life
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Mahora-27 wrote:
Rambling Red Ranger wrote:Why does it have to be the "vets" that have to bring combat back? Why can't the new guys stand up and build their own future.... What can you contribute to this future?...

That's a good point.

NUGGETS! ASSEMBLE!
OFFTOPIC: I was just really confused by your name change... I was all liek "144 post but hooooow who is this guy". So I went looking and I think you are [redacted] or whatever... right? Jesus crust admin logs need to be more useful...
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!