Training Saturday

Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Training Saturday

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

After Decaff's Suggestion of Training the Nuggets, I think we need a bi-weekly Training session for anyone who needs help, We'll need 1 or two people who would like to help with training and obviously anyone who needs help.

Teacher 1:
Teacher 2:

There's no special Requirements for becoming a Teacher, other than finding Eric IRL and Shoving a Creme Pie in his face.

Just Kidding. You just have to know what you're doing.

It will be Hosted on the WW3 Server at 7:30 EST (GMT -5) every Other Saturday that WW3 Weekends aren't occuring.
Last edited by Nodoka Hanamura on Thu May 08, 2014 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: Training Saturday

Post by NightRaven »

Being a very biased person,

WW3 PLZ

You know the WW3 weekends happen on a fortnightly basis, so this should fill the weekends without the event. This way, you can train the newbz one week, and see their new skills being put the test the following week with the veterans.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

Bumped because we need this. Anyone going to take a Teacher Position? I'm not really one of the best pilots, but I will Teach if no one else will.
Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

Post by Mobiyus »

I am in desperate need of dogfighting training. I was in the furball on 42s yesterday and I did not do a single kill. Jets controls are just too sensitive, having hard time simply be ''in plane'' with target aircraft. And when i'm in the same plane, i can't out-turn and get behind it, even if we have the same aircraft. Target will indubitably get on my six within a few seconds, and stay there 'till I'm dead :(

All this is why I'm using big, slow or ww2 aircrafts most of the time. Just can't control a jet with my mouse...
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

Mobiyus wrote:I am in desperate need of dogfighting training. I was in the furball on 42s yesterday and I did not do a single kill. Jets controls are just too sensitive, having hard time simply be ''in plane'' with target aircraft. And when i'm in the same plane, i can't out-turn and get behind it, even if we have the same aircraft. Target will indubitably get on my six within a few seconds, and stay there 'till I'm dead :(

All this is why I'm using big, slow or ww2 aircrafts most of the time. Just can't control a jet with my mouse...
Using a mouse will put you at a disadvantage from the start... It's just doesn't give you as fine control as a joystick does. However, it's not impossible for you to adjust to it and be as good as most joystick users. Before I got my stick, I was using mouse and Mav/Bomb managed to teach me to be alright.

That furball on 42S was a lot of fun. You seemed to be moving slower (TAS) and not turning as sharp (flaps and angle). Remember, all of the good dog fighters in that situation use the exact same setup:

stock F-16
30% fuel
Flaps at 100% when trying to outmaneuver your opponent, 0% when chasing or need speed.
No missiles, bombs, rockets, fuel tanks... Anything at all.

The reason that we're considered good is because we've practiced countless hours, against each other, with the above setup. It's like second nature to us.

Now Mobiyus. Your mouse control needs practice by the sounds of it. Try to practice fine mouse movements by doing carrier landings, flying upside-down under bridges, flying around ground objects, flying upside-down as close as you can along the runway... Things like that.
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran

I agree with MR, only because he knows what he's doing. I couldn't stand mouseflight, so the first chance i got, I asked my dad several years ago to buy me a Flight Joystick, a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. The good man's in a better place now, but my Flight skills have gotten better because of it. However, the sad thing is, I no longer own the original one. the one i used to have had malfunctioned due to a bad USB plug, and this was after he died. I have another one, the exact same model, not because it was cheap, but because It reminds me of him. I've Used a Xbox 360 Controller, but the problem with that is that the Xbox controller in a dogfight or just in a High-Manuverability aircraft is just too sensitive. The only thing I like about it is that i could look around the cockpit with it. Now if Soji could add a Axis sensitivity option in the options menu, I might reconsider not using it, but until then, I'm sticking with what works.

But i digress.

If you come across a chance to get a Joystick, Do it. It doesn't have to be a Thrustmaster or a big Setup like some Simulation freaks have. it could be as simple as mine with just my cheapo joystick. That and flying around with a mouse and keyboard isn't all that healthy or ergonomic, especially on a laptop. In the end, I suggest that if you can't afford a joystick for the time being, follow what MR said and save up your money for one.

Good Luck, Mobiyus.
Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mobiyus »

Alright thankx MR and Mahora for your tips. Unfortunatly I'm not planning on buying a joystick for now. I did take a look at the joystick reviews thread tho, some very interresting models in there, and cheap too. I hope I can buy one soon.

In the meantime, well I'll just practice, and time will make me better I guess. I will participate in those training sessions for sure.
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN
Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler »

So I gave Mobiyus some tips today and I have to say his progress was amazing. We started with the usual stock F-16 and I shot him down a few times.

We talked about fuel, AB, flaps and waht to do after the merge. Within another 10 deaths he was able to fly in-plane with me and I was killing him with only 2% fuel left. HUGE improvement!

We then practised aim with me in the Arbalest which was also good. I must admit, I see Mobiyus as being one of the new up and coming dogfighers worth watching. With more practice I'm sure he can become a serious dogfighting machine.
Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mobiyus »

omg too kind, thanks. I'll do my best to become a worthy pilot.
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN