How to take a good screenshot - Have a tip, leave a tip!

Screenshots, videos, replays, & more
Mobiyus
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18 Hornet

How to take a good screenshot - Have a tip, leave a tip!

Post by Mobiyus » Fri May 09, 2014 7:22 pm

Here's a regouping of tips and tricks to make a good screen capture in YS Flight and edit it. Personnaly I won't get into editing, but any and all are welcome to leave his/her tips about photo taking/editing.

Focal Lenght (Zoom)

At default zoom setting (0%), the fish-eye effect is present (real name:barrel distortion) and gradually goes away as you zoom in. While it is possible to create a somewhat nice pic, getting most out of this effect is hard. It is best to get rid of it with a little zoom in.

Focus

There is no way to adjust focus in YS, but still, you will have to select one object (if more than one is visible) to be your subject. Your subject is what you will focus on, what you want to emphasize on in your pic. Usually means it will be seen in front of the picture, not in the background.

Composition

The composition of the image is where the things sits in the pic, and how they sits, in contrast to where sits the subject. In real life, you don't have control on most of these elements. In YS, you do :) It's up to you, the photogragher, to know where to place them, where to place your camera so that the objects ends up the way you want them to. The composition is also more or less what's make your picture interesting or not. It's surprising how simple compositions can makes awesome pictures. If you're sometimes looking at pics, and saying to yourself:''I would have placed that there'' or ''I would do this instead''. That's good! That's your creativity making image composition :) Image compostion is your power, freedom and ability to make a picture yours, unique.

Rule of third

Split the image with imaginary lines into 1/3rd's both horizontally and vertically, giving you 2 lines in each direction, 9 boxes kinda like tic-tac-toe, and 4 points where lines intersect. These intersect points are reference points on where to put your subject. The most basic rule of 3rd is to have your subject either on one of the lines, or on one of the intersecting points. That's right, it means do not place your subject dead center of the image! The most advanced use of the rule of 3rds is to have a contributing element at every intersecting point of the image. The basic explaination is that essentially, you want your subject to ride along the lines that make up that middle box. So you don't want to be too center on vertical and horizontal axises, or completely center, and you don't want to be completely on the edge.

Centering

Now I know i just said not to center the subject, but the thing about rules is that they are meant to be broken (remember what I said about your power, your freedom?) Rule of third should not be ignored, off course, it's the basic guideline of all kinds of imagery, but it can be broken if it see fit. Although doing so eloquently is challenging. One way to do it is by using illusion (ie fish-eye) to make it look not centered.
[VT-171]Mobiyus
YSRS YS Time Trial YSRSC
imgur YS Flight Album
Dorm room 2254
PSN

iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Re: How to take a good screenshot - Have a tip, leave a tip!

Post by iqmal_97 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:24 am

File Choices or PNG vs JPEG Format

Over the years of being a big fan of the Screenshots thread, I have observed that the most popular file formats used by people are either PNG or JPEG. I myself would choose PNG over JPEG all of the time. While I don't mind that some of you are using JPEG, you can gain a couple of benefits from using PNG.

According to this website:
PNG format is a lossless compression file format, which makes it a common choice for use on the Web. PNG is a good choice for storing line drawings, text, and iconic graphics at a small file size.
JPG format is a lossy compressed file format. This makes it useful for storing photographs at a smaller size than a BMP. JPG is a common choice for use on the Web because it is compressed.
Let me demonstrate by comparing these 2 pics, taken at the same time in the same game session in Ys
PNG

JPEG

You might argue that at first glance, there are no differences between them two, but if we zoom into each of them (go ahead, click on them to zoom in)
PNG
No distortions, seems normal.

JPEG
Out of place pixels surrounding the whole plane. It's an eyesore.

Yeah. JPEG will degrade and somewhat distort the image's pixels, rather than preserving them in their original state. That is why I firmly believe that PNG is better suited in all aspects compared to JPEG when it comes to taking screenies. If your using JPEG still, that's completely fine by me, but be warned that the quality of the images aren't up to par if they're captured in PNG.

Just my 2 cents.
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Sun May 11, 2014 2:17 pm

Press the button:
Press the screen shot button on your keyboard (Fig.1)

Fig.1
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Tue May 20, 2014 6:08 am

Some thing I just learned that in windows 8, windows logo key + prnt sc will automatically save a screenshot. Prety handy to take multiple screenies online or in one flight sesion...
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.