New things from Soji

News, announcements, updates, & more regarding YSFlight & YSFHQ
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: New things from Soji

Post by Neocon »

The name says it all. It's "YS" Flight, not "Open Source Flight".

I'd like to see bug fixes, especially with the network errors we get when we don't have an addon installed. I'm also excited by more realistic props.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Preaching to the non-beleivers aren't I?

If you don't get behind the motion, well, enjoy your buggy broken "simulator" - because it's only going to get worse as it gets more complicated.

YSFlight has always been a game and it's damned time it should be treated that way.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Don't go and make it personal Flake.I have no issue with your complaint only the way you present it.And by the way where I come from Bub is a term of friendship not insult.Its also what I call my youngest son.
Image[/align=centre]
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

Soji has always fixed bugs; one can plainly see that from the updates everytime he releases a new version of the simulator.

In that he has not addressed every single bug, especially the network bugs - give it time. He is a super-busy man, and gee, if it did not happen thus far just send him an e-mail. He has been usually very good to reply to my e-mails. Case in point: that search feature for quickly finding the maps you want? I e-mailed him to put that in and he did that.

I agree, bugs are not fun. But YS Flight is not so buggy you cannot play it. It is still an enjoyable game. So what if he's trying to "modernize" it a bit by adding OpenGL 2.0, ATC and other stuff? I've always appreciated what he's doing on his own time. Keep in mind that this freeware. There are plenty of games out there that you have to pay for and are still buggy.

Remember, Soji is not "catering" to any one person's demands/needs of the game (nor should he). I'm sure he gets lots of requests every year, "hey Soji, I would like to have this, hey Soji I would like to see more weapons..." etc etc. It would not be reasonable to expect him to address bugs and add more features all within the usual time span that he works on the game. It's not like he has a whole team of people working on this. He's learning new stuff too. In due course of time I'm sure he'll get things ironed out.

Nothing personal against anyone here, just some of my two cents' worth I thought I should point out.
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D

Post by Margatroid »

considering the game is highly dependent on the community to run it, with stuff like its servers, mods and code like orb and all of the regulations that people make up for the servers etc, added with the lack of time Soji seemingly has to develop it, it would make much more sense if it was open source.

Lets face it here. this has been said over and over countless times, that there are problems with the community (putting it softly). but these problems actually stem from the game. the game is so underdeveloped it cant run itself, so its stressing the community, an issue that would be fixed if the community had the ability to develop the game so that it can run itself.

many of the ideas that the communities for example that are made up by random people somewhere, such as world war 3 server or a squad tag system built into multiplayer if you want a more complex example, could totally be build into the game as gameplay features by people that have more time and possibly more knowledge than him. Also working as a team to make things like this is generally better. its just we cant because a certain creator wont let us.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

In my opinion this game is the sole property of Soji and how he chooses to upgrade or improve the game and any of his creations is his business in the end.It is not like it is a big surprise that it is a closed program.He chose to share his game with the general public for free and his other related programs for a minimum fee IF you could afford it if not you can still us it.Now in my book that is called generosity.Just remember that at anytime he could choose to drop the whole thing if he was a mind to.Sometimes we [As a community] forget that it is his property.And get all bent out of shape if he decides to go in a different direction.I for one am grateful he still supports it.Remember he started the whole project as an aid to hone his skills in programing and to his getting licensed as a private pilot.We where never in the equation until later.Like I said just an opinion
Image[/align=centre]
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Gunny wrote:In my opinion this game is the sole property of Soji and how he chooses to upgrade or improve the game and any of his creations is his business in the end.It is not like it is a big surprise that it is a closed program.He chose to share his game with the general public for free and his other related programs for a minimum fee IF you could afford it if not you can still us it.Now in my book that is called generosity.Just remember that at anytime he could choose to drop the whole thing if he was a mind to.Sometimes we [As a community] forget that it is his property.And get all bent out of shape if he decides to go in a different direction.I for one am grateful he still supports it.Remember he started the whole project as an aid to hone his skills in programing and to his getting licensed as a private pilot.We where never in the equation until later.Like I said just an opinion

Opinion? No no no no. This is reality.

He made it and it's his. He can do whatever he wants with it. Period.

If you want open source or you want Soji to put more time into the program well open up the old checkbook and write Soji a nice check. Nothing is ever free.

We should all be grateful for Soji s effort and willingness to continue to update YS.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
flyingfisch
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Saab Gripen

Post by flyingfisch »

Of course, if you REALLY want an open source flight sim for low end hardware... you could just write one yourself...

Joking aside, I will warn you guys that the FlightGear devs are just as hard to get moving on anything they don't personally like to do, like fixing bugs. And that's open source.
Bombcat
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D Tomcat

Post by Bombcat »

Soji has released his new polygon editor under the title "Polygon Crest," download link and instructions available on ysflight.com. I've been looking at the instructions some, and there are a few features which may be of interest, particularly the program's support for modeling wings.
[CAG171]Bombcat, Commander, Air Wing 171
Team Awesome # 23
YSFHQ administrator.
Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx »

Open source, yippy!

It's pretty interesting. Just like scenery editor, it appears to use the same layout and view functions. Testing it right now, I find it supports some basic rendering. Maybe not whole, but it's something.

Edit:

Oh I see now. Currently, It only supports .SRF/.STL files.
Last edited by Stingx on Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

For some reason, I cannot download it. I see it is for mac osx 10.7+, and I have 10.6, but DARN IT!!! Looks really cool!
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Stingx wrote:Open source, yippy!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Great.Now all we need is a tutorial for dummy's like me :oops: Maybe there's hope yet that I can make some of my favorite airplanes for YS.
Image[/align=centre]
Silver Sergeant
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Mig 29 fulcrum

Post by Silver Sergeant »

this program is totally a great place to start your 3d modeling life, it cut all the unnecessary functions and focus on the important ones.

its very good for newcomer, like me :D .
Image <-- i am not that blue creature in the cockpit now

я не русский. лололол :D
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

A new update (already pointed out by Stingx in mini-chat), so I thought I might as well update this thread.

http://ysflight.in.coocan.jp/ysflight/ysflight/e.html
Soji Yamakawa wrote:YSFLIGHT Work in Progress

I was thinking to release minor-debug version early this year. And, the time flies! It's already end of August. The new fall semester means my teaching duty starts again! I have 79 students so far. It's going to be a fun!

I spent quite good amount of time for developing Polygon Crest and less time for YSFLIGHT. But I don't want to miss a release of the 2014 version of YSFLIGHT. I'm working on it. I'm trying hard to get it ready before the end of the year.

One big change is that I took advantage of Vertex-Buffer Objects of OpenGL ES2.0/2.0. So, YSFLIGHT on OpenGL 2.0 works as fast as (if not faster than) on Direct 3D9. It gives good boost of YSFLIGHT for MacOSX, too.

By the way, I wanted to add ground textures since I terminated CPU-Rendered version of YSFLIGHT. So I did it. One problem is I am such a horrible painter. I don't have a picture to put on the ground. I cannot download a map from the Internet because all of them are copyrighted.

So, I randomly picked a picture of Hummingbird copyrighted to me, and pasted on AOMORI map for test.

I should be able to paste a texture on elevation grids with small modification. I'm thinking to add that, too. It will be possible to show snows covering the peaks of the mountains.
I'm liking that last part, about the snow-capped mountains. :)
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

Wait, so I think this means it might be possible to use satellite images to recreate legit looking scenery O_O
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

If you can find some that aren't copyrighted. I would guess that a high enough resolution would make traditional scenery making obsolete.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

You could just use a sat image and repaint it that way.

I like this. Texture wrapping to elevation grids etc. is a good step forwards.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Yes finally textured ground!
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership

Post by Neocon »

I wonder if this could be used to make runways on the sides of mountains.
``