ww3 server

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Dromon
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

ww3 server

Post by Dromon » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:35 am

It has been a week since I joined the community and I wanted to try out the ww3 server but it is always offline. Is it kept online only during special events or at weekends on specific timings. I wanted to try it out but as you can see I am unable to.

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Re: ww3 server

Post by NightRaven » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:00 am

Although it was never publicly announced, the YSFHQ WW3 server is shut down permanently until further notice.

When it first started at the first quarter of the year, traffic to the server was decent. But as the months wore on, it was clear that that traffic was grinding to a halt. After I "left", I continued checking on the status of the server on Eric's computer as I was one of the admins. After a few months, though, I realised virtually no one was logging in. So I left a small note to Eric, telling him to stop running the server as it was pointless and to not burden himself further (if it did). So it turns out he did stop running the server shortly afterwards.

Why? I myself reckon that the YSFHQ WW3 did not have the punch that the Japanese WW3 server did: realism. The Japanese WW3 had refuelling, AWACS, working ships and tanks, aircraft-specific G-loads, etc etc. The YSFHQ WW3, on the other hand, only had a generic G-load.

So, until we get the scripts from the Japanese WW3 owner (which is unlikely, as he shut the server down due to a hard disk failure or something to that extent), or Flake decides to incorporate the old WW3 features into his Orb client, it is unlikely that the WW3 server will re-open anytime soon.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:17 am

... And Flake has stopped work on Orb pretty much. He's moved on to c++ and directx coding instead - focusing his attention on making his own program that won't be neglected like a prom dumpster baby.

I'll fully open source orb to the admins here - they can choose if someone can be trusted with my code soon enough. (Maybe tomorrow after uni?)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:48 pm

What is orb coded in?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:11 am

c#.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!