VA's need active members

Blackhawk11223344
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: AH-64

VA's need active members

Post by Blackhawk11223344 »

We need to get these inactive Virtual Airlines active again. YSFlight has plenty of VA's but not many active. We should at least try to get HAVA, PAVA, FAVA, etc back up and running. I know at least one person misses the VA's on the servers flying around. If I could I would take over or create a VA and still fly for NatCom. Who will help me to get these inactive VA's active again? I know people still fly for these VA's but with most of the pilots being inactive.
Always go by all rumors are false, rather than true. As if you take them as if they are true you can end up worse than what you started.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Re: VA's need active members

Post by Neocon »

I'd like to see YGL back in the air, but I'm kind of biased because I was a member, and it dominated the civilian wing of YSF when I first joined YSP.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

I agree.But now is not the time.As apparent.Activity is slow because of the school year and people trying to get the last of the good weather before the snow fly's.But the holidays are coming up and and the winter break.That is the best time for recruiting for VA's when people have free time.I would rather see VA's with smaller dedicated members than huge numbers just to die off when the school year starts again.And it happens every year just like clockwork.We have to work around the real worlds schedule not the other way around.
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I'm thinking about hosting an event in late December, maybe around the 28th or 29th, A civilian flight night like we had a few years ago.

No plan yet, just thoughts. To be honest, I think the civilian side of YSF is going pretty strongly right now considering how many folks are in school.
Blackhawk11223344
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: AH-64

Post by Blackhawk11223344 »

Yes but Gunny,thing is some VA's have high ranked members that have been inactive for at least a year or two.
Always go by all rumors are false, rather than true. As if you take them as if they are true you can end up worse than what you started.
Av8Tor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737

Post by Av8Tor »

I think the one key thing to getting a lot of people to join in on VA's is to have events. Events are what drive traffic, just like a good sale in a retail store. For example - I flew on the VATSIM network for a number of years, and one thing I noticed is how inactive some areas of the country were with pilots and controllers. For example, you might go an entire week and not see any controllers online in Boston, then the second they host an event, all hell breaks loose and they can barely staff enough controllers to handle the traffic.

I can speak from experience. Flying for a Virtual Airline without anybody else, or in empty skies on a server where you are connected and flying that, "one flight per month" requirement, gets old... real quick. The key to keeping VA's active is not having requirements for the pilots, and then giving the pilots frequent opportunities to fly and network with other pilots. If a pilot can't get on and fly once a month, then they just can't. The real world takes precedent over simming (although, not by much ;)) Also, if you hold events once or twice a month, pilots will show up. It's like that old line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come." This is something I noticed during my short time on the Boston Virtual ATC network. They had events almost once a week. The server was mostly dead during the times events were not going, but when there was an event, good luck being able to even key up your microphone to get a clearance delivery on your IFR flight!

So here are the two things we MUST do in order to get VA's active and keep them active, in summary. One, remove pilot flying time requirements, and let them fly as they see fit and to a flight time that fits their real world schedule. Two, host and/or sponsor several monthly events, no matter how big or large, to offer pilots an opportunity to fly with others, and network with other pilots. This is what will grow and maintain the VAs!
Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx »

Blackhawk11223344 wrote:YSFlight has plenty of VA's but not many active. We should at least try to get HAVA, PAVA, FAVA, etc back up and running.
FA is no longer operational. It retired earlier this year.
I think the same goes for PA: probably lying in a morgue or jet just isn't leading anymore.
HAVA has a few members that fly from time to time, but that's about it.

I think we'd better aim for new carriers, just the same for squadrons. A different route than reviving everything that should have been left for dead. We need to give our new members something that interests them: a new experience.

Av8Tor wrote:I can speak from experience. Flying for a Virtual Airline without anybody else, or in empty skies on a server where you are connected and flying that, "one flight per month" requirement, gets old... real quick. The key to keeping VA's active is not having requirements for the pilots, and then giving the pilots frequent opportunities to fly and network with other pilots. If a pilot can't get on and fly once a month, then they just can't. The real world takes precedent over simming (although, not by much ) Also, if you hold events once or twice a month, pilots will show up. It's like that old line from Field of Dreams, "If you build it, they will come." This is something I noticed during my short time on the Boston Virtual ATC network. They had events almost once a week. The server was mostly dead during the times events were not going, but when there was an event, good luck being able to even key up your microphone to get a clearance delivery on your IFR flight!
Precisely. Events are what attract people and make the experience worthwhile. Even group flights give people some initiate to join in. Most VA's had their pilots fly once or more a month. From what I've seen, most did it solo for half an hour or more. Being in a VA was supposed to put some fun into the game, but that only comes once in a while when there's a group session. How frequent is that now?

Sometimes words move stones, but here it has done nothing but cement them. Let's get things rolling people. Sitting on ts and talking about it isn't making it far.

@Gunny, even during the summertime, we didn't have much action. 1-2 small airlines at most.

Patrick has the right idea. Occasional events with a dedicated server have proved to spark some life into CivAv.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

I agree about not trying to resurrect the dead.So if there is some new blood out there and you want a go at it,then go for it.And I also agree about lightening up on the flight restrictions a more casual attitude is probably called for.Individual flight policy's when appropriate to fit the pilots real world schedule.With all the students and working people that makes more sense than requiring a unrealistic flight policy.But also be aware that getting your individual livery's painted by request may be a long and unfortunately futile project.Try to be self sufficient in that regard.And I hate to say this but under no circumstance request that someone make your whole stable of airplanes that is a completely unrealistic request and against our unwritten policy for requests.
Image[/align=centre]
Av8Tor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737

Post by Av8Tor »

I will definitely look into doing some stuff, and I am completely open to helping anyone who wants to organize a VA. I will look at stuff and maybe even take a stab at it myself. I have a busy schedule but I would love to see some active VAs. I think HQ should appoint a VA Event Coordinator who focuses solely on events for VAs.
jetskit
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: 757 - 200,787,a319,a320

Post by jetskit »

Wasn't supposed to log back into ysfhq until I decided to rejoin, pava is active we aren't dead, we are reviewing our operational model and rebranding, changing out rules, liveries and decisions, and the way members act. Furthermore, pava used to host many events, weekly atc sessions that no one attended, training days that once again, people who complained that they didn't receive training had a chance to train. They didn't show up, expect pava to return in December when we have our new look, fleet and operational model, the same goes for me, see you in December!
"Aviation was not an industry nor a science. It was a love."|YS ATCO|PAVA CEO|
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^Good to see PAVA is coming back.
Fariiniq
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: A380

Post by Fariiniq »

I see that this issue still hasn't been resolved during all these years. Lots of different events, recurring and not, have been organised to keep members active, but they've always died out. I guess we need a big enough, experienced enough team to work on one event together so it doesn't die out the minute someones mom yells dinner is ready.
Me: "Come on! Come on coward! Insult me!" - User: "Okay. You're a moron!" - Me: "BANHAMMERED!" *permaban*
jetskit
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: 757 - 200,787,a319,a320

Post by jetskit »

Just to say that, FAVA most likely wont be back up, as far as i am aware Dan and Dave don't really want to run any more VAs, they had a good run the first few times round, and just want to relax in YS now. With regards to PAVA, I would say we are pretty active, we have 1 or 2 inactive members, but the others do fly at least once every 2 weeks. People are different with their activity, some people fly more frequently, its just a case of finding those people. :D hope this helps!
"Aviation was not an industry nor a science. It was a love."|YS ATCO|PAVA CEO|
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Maybe we need to market ys to the older folk.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Well that was just uncalled for BARRCUZ :lol:
Image[/align=centre]