Why is nobody flying on the servers?

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

It's a summer evening, yet all the servers are empty. What's up with that? How can we get the multiplayer mode of YS more active?

It's no fun flying alone. :(
I make this website.
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

My server is up, there are a few of us on there. I think the bot can't get the users because it's 2015.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric »

VNAF ONE wrote:My server is up, there are a few of us on there. I think the bot can't get the users because it's 2015.
I'll take a look at that and see if I can get it to work. Might be lag sometimes.

EDIT: I can't get on with the 2015 YS client. See below:
I make this website.
ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Post by ksh »

the servers are getting every day more boring! there is nothing to do and hearly any one goes into them! also they are really glitchy! :(
Deleted User 1872

Post by Deleted User 1872 »

Many of you have the 2015 version of YSFlight which could explain why there aren't many people on. The servers are running on old ersions and the versions / codes don't match up. There's really nothing we can do about it unless the server owners upgrade their clients, or the users try and find an older version of the simulator. :?
NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: .

Post by NightRaven »

I think its more of the people who don't want to fly anymore because they've moved on rather than the recent version changes... :?
Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: de Havilland Mosquito

Post by Vic Viper »

My suggestion is to have topics with community input (for a given server), a little like Mid used to do with 42 South. Events could be planned (whether civil or military, or both!) maps selected, and ideas tossed around. We all lead busy lives, either school, work, and with our families. If small groups could meet at prearranged times, it would boost activity. I may try something like this, we'll see. I highly encourage other server owners to do the same.

PS Crow did plant the idea in my head ;)
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg...and my arm...even my fingers. The body I've lost...the comrades I've lost...won't stop hurting. It's like they're all still there. You feel it too, don't you? I'm going to make them give back our past"
Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura »

Vic Viper wrote:My suggestion is to have a server topic with community input, a little like Mid used to do with 42 South. Events could be planned (whether civil or military, or both!) maps selected, and ideas tossed around. We all lead busy lives, either school, work, and with our families. If small groups could meet at prearranged times, it would boost activity. I may try something like this, we'll see. I highly encourage other server owners to do the same.

PS Crow did plant the idea in my head ;)
Since I'm starting a server for the Grun, I could host these events.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
Member of YSCE Development Committee - I don't code, I compile.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Servers have always been a problem since after 2013.Nobody ever knows which version to use.And since YSFHQ refuses to take authority over them [for fear of dissing some server owner off and having them rage quit.] the issue will never be resolved.My resolution would be to have YSFHQ designate the server version to use for all YSFHQ server owners.And if they don't they do not get an YSFHQ approval rating.And the unapproved server owner is banned until they come into compliance with the server regulations.Seems a little harsh I can hear some of you saying.But so is server operations crashing down as it is now. ;)

Edit:Gotta give Officerflake his due.But he can only do so much.
Last edited by Gunny on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image[/align=centre]
m88youngling
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: R-9A Arrowhead - F-16C Rainbow Falcon

Post by m88youngling »

I haven't been on at all for YSF related stuff because school is on for me and I have left all my gaming stuff unplugged in favor of my two weighted courses and spanish to learn, as well as music related stuff that is going to earn me money soon (and already has!)

I check in here once in awhile though, just the forum though right now.
SARF Executive Officer (2IC)
[email protected]
Scarecrow
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: T-50B

Post by Scarecrow »

Gunny wrote:Servers have always been a problem since after 2013.Nobody ever knows which version to use.And since YSFHQ refuses to take authority over them [for fear of dissing some server owner off and having them rage quit.] the issue will never be resolved.My resolution would be to have YSFHQ designate the server version to use for all YSFHQ server owners.And if they don't they do not get an YSFHQ approval rating.And the unapproved server owner is banned until they come into compliance with the server regulations.Seems a little harsh I can hear some of you saying.But so is server operations crashing down as it is now. ;)

Edit:Gotta give Officerflake his due.But he can only do so much.
Sorry Gunny, I respectfully disagree with this one.

No harsh feelings though, just waay too much Big Brother here.
Last edited by Scarecrow on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

No need Crow we are all good my friend.But being a big brother to eight siblings I find it necessary to sometimes lean hard a bit to get a point across.Ofttimes they can be as dense as a box of rocks ;)
Image[/align=centre]
VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE »

I usually don't strongly disagree with much, but I think that YSFHQ should never have any authority or ownership over any server owners. This community is forum-based. There are communities that are more server-based (hold 2ch for example) that would be able to do things like this, but in very limited and lenient capacity (maybe citing recommendations, not requirements).

Asserting authority like this of any kind would surely drive traffic away, even if it's limited to forcing people to use certain versions. I'd rather not see HQ get so tight that it thinks it can tell individuals what they may and may not do with their YS that they choose to publicly share in any way.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

One of the reasons I retired as an architect.I would never make a good politician I would actually do whats good for the country instead of whats good for the politics of the moment.Not politically correct by any stretch of the imagination :lol:
Image[/align=centre]
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

This is why I use OpenYS. No more messages about people logging in with mis-matched versions.
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D

Post by Margatroid »

I don't understand why people are so opposed against the idea of just using 2015. Isn't the point of the 2015 version supposed to be.. you know, being better than the 2011 version? That shit even has new netcode that's better than the 2011 version. I've seen people criticizing the old netcode for literally years. Why would you not want improved netcode now that it's finally here? It also has more features. Why would you not want that?
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Pretty much my thoughts on all of this:

Y U NO UPGRADE TO 2015 YS?

From I've seen the client side bugs aren't dramatic, just the server is completely broken. :lol:

---
Margatroid wrote:That shit even has new netcode that's better than the 2011 version
Well actually...

(Soji just changed 3 packets in the latest version.)

---
Gunny wrote:I would never make a good politician.
But see you pitch an idea, take feedback, and realise it's a bad idea. unlike most politicians that just say "lol the people matter? donations pls".
Last edited by Flake on Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
Margatroid
CVW-171
CVW-171
Favorite Aircraft: F-14D

Post by Margatroid »

OfficerFlake wrote:(Soji just changed 3 packets in the latest version.)
herpaderp
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Hehehehe. Balls in my court on this one mate. :lol:

I think he mentioned he was optimising the way the netcode is sent though so there may be an improvement there. I haven't really stress tested it though to find a difference.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 »

VNAF and Gunny, since you two almost touched on it, what if HQ offered a couple of official servers (i'm thinking a 2014 and 2015 server) and VERY prominently featured them, then put the rest of the servers less prominently below them?

My thinking here is that we have too much supply and not enough demand... too many servers for users to pick from, many that always look to be offline. If we had one or two main ones that were always online, guaranteed, and users were nudged towards them, they'd be full and provide a nice starting point for new users. From there, they can get involved in the community and maybe choose to fly on another server or start their own.
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload