Why is nobody flying on the servers?

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
Varren
Banned
Banned
Favorite Aircraft: Anything with wings.

Post by Varren » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:15 am

wingzfan99 wrote:VNAF and Gunny, since you two almost touched on it, what if HQ offered a couple of official servers (i'm thinking a 2014 and 2015 server) and VERY prominently featured them, then put the rest of the servers less prominently below them?

My thinking here is that we have too much supply and not enough demand... too many servers for users to pick from, many that always look to be offline. If we had one or two main ones that were always online, guaranteed, and users were nudged towards them, they'd be full and provide a nice starting point for new users. From there, they can get involved in the community and maybe choose to fly on another server or start their own.
As usual I agree with Wingz 100%. We should also be able to run these servers on our existing setup without having to pay more for a better server. There's very little effort required to do this, which in my opinion would provide a great service. We could also incorporate some of the other ideas above and have weekly polls on what type of events to hold on these servers and whatnot.

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:28 am

Or maybe the community needs to be informed of the server/client dohicky and its problems and recommend bug free matches, for example the 2015 test version can connect to any server even the 2011 one with no issues well I havent had any.

No one likes authority.Pushing server owners to use a specific version will enrage both server owners and users, just because.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Post by Dragon_Mech » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:45 pm

i think that some of the problem is that we are from all over the world. and we are also online at different times. take me for example. i'm in the United States (Central Standerd Time/ GMT -6) and i'm online (connected to the internet) from 12:00 AM to 12:00 PM. during this time, almost the entire world is either at work, in school, or in bed. but i have flown with a few people in the CPfunhouse, civil avation and doom and bomb servers.

as for having too many servers, that isn't an issue for the most part. most people like to have a broad choice of different themed/perposed servers to fly in. what maybe an issue though is that there are too many servers OFFLINE. it's possible that when potential users see that most of the servers are offline and there are only bots in the few servers that are online, they may think that the community is all but dead or that no one cares anymore. so they either spend less time in the few running servers or they just pass us up entirly.

i personally wold like to see the air racing server up and running again with free flight/open practice during the week and scheduled races on the weekend. and monthly poll could decide what aircraft/map to use in a monthly challenge race.
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries

wingzfan99
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 757-200

Post by wingzfan99 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:56 pm

Dragon_Mech wrote:[post]89544[/post] as for having too many servers, that isn't an issue for the most part. most people like to have a broad choice of different themed/perposed servers to fly in. what maybe an issue though is that there are too many servers OFFLINE. it's possible that when potential users see that most of the servers are offline and there are only bots in the few servers that are online, they may think that the community is all but dead or that no one cares anymore. so they either spend less time in the few running servers or they just pass us up entirly.
I think you're dead on here. It creates a major perception problem. That being said, I still think having one or two recommended, stable, reliable servers would help new players jump into the game right away. It would avoid some of the confusion of "I've never done this before, how do I join this server? Do I need special addons? Oh, they have a map I don't have? Let me quit the game, go find the map. Oh, wait, I don't know how to install maps yet, I just started playing."

I think by that point, I'd be slightly discouraged if I was a casual player.
Wingzfan "The Budgetman" 99
Treasurer, YSFHQ

Founder and Admin of the site once known as YSUpload

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

Post by Vic Viper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:28 pm

Let me jump on this. My goal is to recreate something like ETNU's server (for those of you who remember) which will appeal to civi's and to military folks alike. Expect to see a new topic soon, which will include addons and maps to install.

The plan:
Custom SC Hawaii map with plenty of fun stuff for everyone
Topic on HQ (which will be linked on the server list) with what map/addons to install and "how to" links
Weekly activity/events with community input
OYS to allow running latest version and let people like me connect with older versions

I don't use a fancy hosting service but I do have beefy hardware+fiber and I run 24/7 anyway, so the server should be accessible most of the time.
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

Snake6
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35, F/A-18E

Post by Snake6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Vic Viper wrote:Let me jump on this. My goal is to recreate something like ETNU's server (for those of you who remember) which will appeal to civi's and to military folks alike. Expect to see a new topic soon, which will include addons and maps to install.

The plan:
Custom SC Hawaii map with plenty of fun stuff for everyone
Topic on HQ (which will be linked on the server list) with what map/addons to install and "how to" links
Weekly activity/events with community input
OYS to allow running latest version and let people like me connect with older versions

I don't use a fancy hosting service but I do have beefy hardware+fiber and I run 24/7 anyway, so the server should be accessible most of the time.

Midnight Rambler
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16

Post by Midnight Rambler » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:52 pm

Gunny wrote:Servers have always been a problem since after 2013.Nobody ever knows which version to use.And since YSFHQ refuses to take authority over them [for fear of dissing some server owner off and having them rage quit.] the issue will never be resolved.My resolution would be to have YSFHQ designate the server version to use for all YSFHQ server owners.And if they don't they do not get an YSFHQ approval rating.And the unapproved server owner is banned until they come into compliance with the server regulations.Seems a little harsh I can hear some of you saying.But so is server operations crashing down as it is now. ;)

Edit:Gotta give Officerflake his due.But he can only do so much.
Wow.

I can see the process from a logic point of view, but that will never happen. Ever.

Did the newest version fix the server reset error that has occurred since 2012 or something?

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:59 pm

Are you me? You act just like me...

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

Post by Vic Viper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:04 pm

I think you found your long lost brother Flake...
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

Snake6
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Su-35, F/A-18E

Post by Snake6 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:05 pm

OfficerFlake wrote:
Are you me? You act just like me...
Vic Viper wrote:I think you found your long lost brother Flake...
:lol: *backflip facepalm*

NeurAxaL
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Avro Vulcan B.Mk.2

Post by NeurAxaL » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:08 pm

i never was on it but WW3 sounded pretty cool.....

ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35

Post by ksh » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:37 pm

yeah! some1 should bring back the ww3 server! that was awesome server!

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:33 pm

Vic Viper wrote: Custom SC Hawaii map with plenty of fun stuff for everyone

Why is it always hawaii?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:34 am

BARRACUZ wrote:[post]89576[/post] Why is it always hawaii?
Tohoku and Hawaii are the only two stock maps that are good for somewhat long-range flying, and they are good for military flying. Stock is important for new people.

Nodoka Hanamura
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Su-24, Mig-29, Su-27, F-18, F-15, ADF-01, Icon A5

Post by Nodoka Hanamura » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:43 am

On the topic of WW3, I used to host WW3 Weekends, but things kinda winded down after the first weekend if memory serves me right.
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:49 am

Didn't Soji add another stock map to his collection? Kyushu I think it is another good moderate travel flight map. ;)
Image[/align=centre]

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:20 am

It's called North Kyusyu, but it is northern Kyushu. I have never even noticed that map. I need to look at it.

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Post by Dragon_Mech » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:36 am

Patrick31337 wrote:It's called North Kyusyu, but it is northern Kyushu. I have never even noticed that map. I need to look at it.
never noticed it?!?!?! it's been a stock map since at least the 2011 version. :roll:
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries