Instruction for civilian landing

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:20 pm

Hello!
I'm not an expert of YSFlight, so I write here for some instruction. I am italian sorry for the eglish :(
When I ask for an approach during the flight I don't uderstand some information.
I undestand the altitude, but how can i measure the degree of the turn right or left? I see "compass" (i don't know if is the right term...) in the middle of the screen, but i don't know how to use it.
In the image i have to turn right of 085, but how can i do it?
And what is the meaning or the italian translation of "heading"?
I really like this game, but I can't landing because I don't understand this part of instruction...

Please help me :)
Attachments
Immagine 1.png

User avatar
ksh
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 636
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:15 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Concorde; F-15; Embraer 190; F-35
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 229 times
Contact:

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by ksh » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:32 pm

AccettoreQ wrote:Hello!
I'm not an expert of YSFlight, so I write here for some instruction. I am italian sorry for the eglish :(
When I ask for an approach during the flight I don't uderstand some information.
I undestand the altitude, but how can i measure the degree of the turn right or left? I see "compass" (i don't know if is the right term...) in the middle of the screen, but i don't know how to use it.
In the image i have to turn right of 085, but how can i do it?
And what is the meaning or the italian translation of "heading"?
I really like this game, but I can't landing because I don't understand this part of instruction...

Please help me :)
i suffer from the same problem my friend! i mainy guess! :) come sono cosa laggiù in Italia ? (sorry my italian is a bit rusty!) ;)

User avatar
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Posts: 3545
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:23 pm
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird
Location: Eastern United States
OS: Mac OSX
Has thanked: 617 times
Been thanked: 1326 times
Contact:

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by decaff_42 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 pm

A heading is the direction you are flying. A heading of 085 means that you are flying roughly east. Look at this image. If the compass heading is less than 100, you put a "0" in front of it. Therefore 085 means you are flying a compass direction of 85 degrees. Note that there are 360 degree headings, with 0 or 360 being North.

The YSFlight compass is somewhat different. The YSFlight compass only shows the first two numbers of the heading. Therefore heading 330 would be shortened to be 33 on the YSFlight compass. As you turn, the compass will turn with you, therefore the top of the compass is the direction you are going.

I hope this information is helpful. :D
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Civilian Aviation Server Flight Log

User avatar
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Posts: 3224
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.
Location: New Iberia.LA.
OS: Windows XP SP3
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 731 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:33 am

It is my considered opinion AccettoreQ that until you become much more experianced at the flight controls that you should use what is called the simple HUD.It is a lot less visually confusing than the 3D versions.It can be accesed by going to options-configure-game rules-Use simple HUD.If you have any question do not hesitate to either post or PM me.And welcome to our madhouse.
Simple HUD layout.png
Image[/align=centre]

User avatar
Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Posts: 4350
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A
Location: Australia
OS: Windows 10 (x64)
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1238 times
Contact:

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Flake » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:01 am

Heading == compass, bearing, direction.

000 is north, 090 is east, 180 is south, 270 is west.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

User avatar
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Posts: 3224
Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:17 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.
Location: New Iberia.LA.
OS: Windows XP SP3
Has thanked: 577 times
Been thanked: 731 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:14 am

Was I not clear in the screenshot Flake? No seriously was it confusing in any way? ;)
Image[/align=centre]

User avatar
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
OS: Windows 10/Gentoo
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Barr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:05 pm

AccettoreQ wrote: When I ask for an approach during the flight I don't uderstand some information.

The stock ATC is glitchy and needs refinishing. If you use it be prepared to circle for at least 15mins before it directs you for a short base landing. Also try not to use it when above 10000ft. as it can make you circle until you drop below 10000ft even if you are 100+ miles away.
AccettoreQ wrote: In the image i have to turn right of 085, but how can i do it?
When you use either the in-game AI ATC or live ATC. When it asks you to turn left heading 085 you must turn the plane left till the plane points to 085 on the compass



ho famiglia a Potenza ma io non sono molto bravo con la lingua poi piacere con me. che parte resiedonno nel paesse?

en avaicion "heading" e la direzzione e cui laeromobile. si il controllo di traffico ti dize gira a sinistra heading 085 dovrebbe dare a sinistra fino a quando laereomobile sta puntando come 085 nella bussola
Image
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Ok ok guys thank you all!! All of you give me valuable advice!
Today I have try different approach, I attack some image. Could you say me if Am I in the right direction please? (DON'T see the speed and altitude, only direction)
Step 1
Image
Image
Step 2
Image
Image
Step 3
Image
Image

And...I think that the "way" of the instructio is a bit longer...I fly a lot, and I switch near the landing track. In both my try I am not landed, maybe because when I arrive at the point when the inscrution say "cleared for landing" or a similar thing I have to landing without instruction? In the try I contnue to fly...to fly...to fly...

User avatar
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
OS: Windows 10/Gentoo
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Barr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:52 pm

AccettoreQ wrote:Ok ok guys thank you all!! All of you give me valuable advice!
Today I have try different approach, I attack some image. Could you say me if Am I in the right direction please? (DON'T see the speed and altitude, only direction)
Step 1


And...I think that the "way" of the instructio is a bit longer...I fly a lot, and I switch near the landing track. In both my try I am not landed, maybe because when I arrive at the point when the inscrution say "cleared for landing" or a similar thing I have to landing without instruction? In the try I contnue to fly...to fly...to fly...

Thats it, you got it.

Also the ATC is again very glitchy. It will make you circle and will always bring you in for a base landing. And do not count on the ATC to line you up to the runway.
Image
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:16 pm

BARRACUZ wrote:
AccettoreQ wrote:Ok ok guys thank you all!! All of you give me valuable advice!
Today I have try different approach, I attack some image. Could you say me if Am I in the right direction please? (DON'T see the speed and altitude, only direction)
Step 1


And...I think that the "way" of the instructio is a bit longer...I fly a lot, and I switch near the landing track. In both my try I am not landed, maybe because when I arrive at the point when the inscrution say "cleared for landing" or a similar thing I have to landing without instruction? In the try I contnue to fly...to fly...to fly...

Thats it, you got it.

Also the ATC is again very glitchy. It will make you circle and will always bring you in for a base landing. And do not count on the ATC to line you up to the runway.
Thank you! Sorry but I haven't understand the phrase "It will make you circle and will always bring you in for a base landing". What is a base landing? And, if the ATC can't line up to the ruaway, how can i do?

User avatar
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
OS: Windows 10/Gentoo
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Barr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:41 pm

AccettoreQ wrote: Thank you! Sorry but I haven't understand the phrase "It will make you circle and will always bring you in for a base landing". What is a base landing? And, if the ATC can't line up to the ruaway, how can i do?
ti fa andare en girar l'aeropuerto. No molto bene a alterrare con presisione.

"base landing" e quando si intercetta la traccia perpendicolarmente atterizaje allora devi girare e allinearsi con la pista

visualizza sempre la pista per latterraggio ATC utile ma non molto preciso. Uso cruceta allinearsi con la pista, se e possibile utilizzare il localizzatore ILS

Io sto spiegando bene o vogliono aiuto in inglese?
Image
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:07 pm

BARRACUZ wrote:
AccettoreQ wrote: Thank you! Sorry but I haven't understand the phrase "It will make you circle and will always bring you in for a base landing". What is a base landing? And, if the ATC can't line up to the ruaway, how can i do?
ti fa andare en girar l'aeropuerto. No molto bene a alterrare con presisione.

"base landing" e quando si intercetta la traccia perpendicolarmente atterizaje allora devi girare e allinearsi con la pista

visualizza sempre la pista per latterraggio ATC utile ma non molto preciso. Uso cruceta allinearsi con la pista, se e possibile utilizzare il localizzatore ILS

Io sto spiegando bene o vogliono aiuto in inglese?
bene bene! If I don't understand something, I'll ask you ;) But what is the ILS? How can activate it?

User avatar
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 1011
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757
Location: Providence, Rhode Island
OS: Windows 10/Gentoo
Has thanked: 272 times
Been thanked: 205 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Barr » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:46 pm

AccettoreQ wrote: bene bene! If I don't understand something, I'll ask you ;) But what is the ILS? How can activate it?
That is the instrument landing system. It's basically helps you line up with runway, when you are reasonably aligned with the center line, and guides you with a suitable rate of descent.

I recommend you read this post here for heading and compass use.

http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... eading+bug


I can't find anything on ils right now but I'll look once I get home if not write out a small tutorial
Image
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.

User avatar
Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Posts: 4350
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:47 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A
Location: Australia
OS: Windows 10 (x64)
Has thanked: 835 times
Been thanked: 1238 times
Contact:

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Flake » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 pm

Gunny wrote:Was I not clear in the screenshot Flake?
Didn't even look at it. :lol:
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:26 pm

BARRACUZ wrote:
AccettoreQ wrote: bene bene! If I don't understand something, I'll ask you ;) But what is the ILS? How can activate it?
That is the instrument landing system. It's basically helps you line up with runway, when you are reasonably aligned with the center line, and guides you with a suitable rate of descent.

I recommend you read this post here for heading and compass use.

http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... eading+bug


I can't find anything on ils right now but I'll look once I get home if not write out a small tutorial
Ok, so the ILS "start automatically" when I am almost alligned with the line of the landig? Does it start always or only in some case?

NightRaven
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Posts: 1843
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:00 am
Favorite Aircraft: .
OS: windoze 10 64-bit
Has thanked: 538 times
Been thanked: 608 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by NightRaven » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:52 pm

AccettoreQ wrote:
BARRACUZ wrote:
AccettoreQ wrote: bene bene! If I don't understand something, I'll ask you ;) But what is the ILS? How can activate it?
That is the instrument landing system. It's basically helps you line up with runway, when you are reasonably aligned with the center line, and guides you with a suitable rate of descent.

I recommend you read this post here for heading and compass use.

http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... eading+bug


I can't find anything on ils right now but I'll look once I get home if not write out a small tutorial
Ok, so the ILS "start automatically" when I am almost alligned with the line of the landig? Does it start always or only in some case?
You have to activate it manually by pressing the "L" key and selecting the one that corresponds to the runway you are landing on. A circle with 2 lines, 1 horizontal and 1 vertical, will appear and in order to follow a proper approach you have to keep both lines cutting through the center of the circle.

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Ok, If I have time I try this evening...and I say you how i go ;)

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:50 pm

NightRaven wrote:
AccettoreQ wrote:
BARRACUZ wrote:
Ok, so the ILS "start automatically" when I am almost alligned with the line of the landig? Does it start always or only in some case?
You have to activate it manually by pressing the "L" key and selecting the one that corresponds to the runway you are landing on. A circle with 2 lines, 1 horizontal and 1 vertical, will appear and in order to follow a proper approach you have to keep both lines cutting through the center of the circle.
Ok, sorry, but I haven't understand how the ILS work... :( Could someone explain another time? Or are there some tutorials?

User avatar
Phoenix
Legend
Legend
Posts: 3153
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:54 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Sr-71
Location: On that golden road to Samarkand.
Has thanked: 78 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by Phoenix » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 am

From 2011 courtesy of Turbofan, in answer to a request by yours truly when I was but a newbie:
Turbofan wrote:Yeah this next edition of FIS is coming rather late due to me being quite busy the past few months, but I can finally add another topic to this segment. And someone wanting a simple tutorial with a video is enough to get one to do it also.

NOTE: The video here has been flagged as "unlisted" on Youtube for good reason-I want it to be seen only on YSFHQ and not have it freely available on Youtube, so please do not copy and paste the link elsewhere on the web. If I find out someone did that I will have no choice but to remove it from here and from then onwards, it will only be available by request.

Also, this video should not in any way be taken as a message that real procedures and calculation-based flight is something I'm against. In fact, I am all about realism, but I know that as a beginner you want a rough guide so-to-speak and so this guide follows that philosophy. Thus, it is by no means directed at anyone in particular who wishes to use real-life procedures, the guide has only to do with beginning flyers.


This July edition of FIS covers landing in thick fog as requested by Phoenix. Of course, it should be helpful to anyone starting out with more advanced landing techniques in YSFS. First, let me clarify a few things: I am fully aware that this is probably not to the liking of some members, in that I don't make any calculations or anything of that sort; rather I use what's visually available (the HUD, ILS/glideslope (GS) display and radar and radar ground object markers), and my own judgement to land an aircraft in dense fog. I have calculated however my initial descent rate (when I start my turn for final), which is about 1,500 ft/min. I then eased that back to around 1,000 ft/min and then once established on the GS, it was around 750 ft/min.

YSFS is not MSFS, it's a simple simulator game, and I like to keep things on the simpler side as well. So this guide is more attuned for the beginner who wants to know the techniques one can use to attain the goal at hand, while doing it as realistically as YSFS will allow.

With those long-winded clarifications out of the way now :P, let's take a look at the video below:
Start the video and look through it, I have added notes that frequently pop up as the video plays. I have tried my best to keep them up as long as possible, but you may find that you need to pause and/or rewind to read some of them.

A few things I would like to add here that the video doesn't quite address:
-Fog in YSFS doesn't quite emulate fog in real-life. So it doesn't matter what altitude you start from, you'll be flying blind until you break out of it, depending on how you have set the visibility. Of course if your visibility is at or greater than 3 miles, roughly speaking, then it's not really that dense.
-I have set the visibility to zero in YSFS, but I found out that YSFS automatically increments it to 0.1 mile, so you can't have absolute zero visibility. Regardless, this is the lowest vis. setting, and from my estimation, this translates into a ceiling of approximately 900 feet and a horizontal visibility of around 500 feet. No doubt low enough to make the first-timer actually feel as if they were flying blind.
-To land in fog, one must understand the importance of actually following something similar to real-life procedures for setting an aircraft on final. I have seen on many occasions on servers where pilots do not allow enough distance between them and the runway end, or they come in too high and, because it is actually possible in YS, do a nose-down dive to land on the runway. Trust me, this will not work in thick fog :). In general, you should make your base leg turn around 12-14 miles at a minimum from the runway end at no more than 3,500 feet, get established on final as soon as possible, and at least 7-8 miles from the runway end be no higher than 2,100 feet at that point. You will see this as well with your glideslope (GS) indicator.
-The rate at which both, the ILS and GS indicators move as you get closer to intercepting will obviously be dependent on your airspeed, heading, and altitude. If you are too fast, or at too wide of an angle to the target heading, the localizer will move much faster, and you'll have to turn that much quicker to intercept the localizer or at least come within a few degrees of it. As stated in the video, you can make minor corrections afterwards. The same goes for the GS, too high or too low, and you'll need to make greater nose-down/nose-up/power-up/power-down inputs to get established on final. A good thing to remember is that if you are off by a few degrees w/r to either indicator, you are not going to completely miss the runway, as you go further along, keep making small inputs to get aligned with the ILS/GS as closely as possible.

Image
Established on the glideslope, with the localizer indicator on the HUD moving toward the center, and about to start a right turn to intercept it.

There's not much more to add other than emphasizing a proper procedure of establishing a large jet on final approach in such foggy conditions. Once you get enough practice, you'll find that you can use the same techniques to land at other airports as well with the use of just the VOR and the ILS/GS indicators. Hope this helps, and happy flying!
PS:Thanks Turbofan!

AccettoreQ
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:12 pm
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Instruction for civilian landing

Post by AccettoreQ » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:21 pm

Gunny wrote:It is my considered opinion AccettoreQ that until you become much more experianced at the flight controls that you should use what is called the simple HUD.It is a lot less visually confusing than the 3D versions.It can be accesed by going to options-configure-game rules-Use simple HUD.If you have any question do not hesitate to either post or PM me.And welcome to our madhouse.
Simple HUD layout.png
Sorry, but at this index i don't found the simple HUD...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests