[PROGRAM] OpenYS - Open Source YSFlight Server!

Note that alterations to the YSFlight .EXE is forbidden
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Re: [PROGRAM] OpenYS - Open Source YSFlight Server!

Post by Dragon_Mech » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:55 am

well i couldn't get OYS to work properly (a user's manual would be nice flake :) ). so i'll just release a patch for the Enterprise-E. :D

EDIT: I'm nearly ready to upload the patch OfficerFlake. but i need to know if you plan on increasing the maximum amount of aircraft strength supported by OYS.
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech » Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:54 am

hi OfficerFlake.
i need to know if you plan on increasing the maximum amount of aircraft strength in OYS or not. i need to know so i can go ahead an make the needed changes to the Enterprise-E dat file and upload it.

C P
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18E SuperHornet

Post by C P » Sat Oct 17, 2015 5:51 am

Dear Flakemeister,
Your Admin password feature of OYS has been well received on the FunHouse server.
So far no fights, furballs or deliberate sabotage incidents have occurred by it's presence.
(I give out the password and instructions for use in the welcome message, AKA- Open Admin.)
Pilots seem to get a kick out of actually controlling the server they are flying on; especially those who
are not fortunate enough to be able to host their own site. Also, with the many commands available,
it adds another dimension of fun to the hobby (rather than perpetually flying in circles and waiting).
So, as far as my wishlist goes for OYS-Open Admin: more of the same, and in that general direction,
until ultimately the client has the same control priviledges as the Server Admin. Power to the People!
Good Show!
TNX
C P

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Dragon - see my YouTube channel for usage tutorial.

Also anything Ys can do, I can do. I'll get to it eventually!

Also, busy with uni hardcore at the moment. OYS to resume construction after 21st November. (Last exam)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:39 pm

Also with 32767... Consider a 16 bit binary number, where the first bit (from the left) is positive or negative sign. So only 15 bits left for the number. 2^15 = 32768. Now one of those has to be 0, so there are 32767 values! In fact, funny quirk, can have negative zero in short number representation.

A "short" is two bytes long and basic binary, a byte is 8 bits. So a byte can represent 2^8 different numbers(256) which ends up being 0 to 255. For a short, it is 2^16, which is 65535... For an int, it is 2^32... You get the point.

If the number is "signed" you lose one bit so divide the possibilities by 2 and that's the maximum absolute value you can get. Tech data lol.

So this is where I am getting these numbers: if the NetCode uses a short, I know the limit is 32767 for a signed short or 65535 for an unsigned, for example. Just in case anyone was interested. :)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:39 pm

OfficerFlake wrote:Dragon - see my YouTube channel for usage tutorial.
we're sorry, but YouTube is not compatible with 56k Dial-up internet access. :lol:

Vic Viper
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-22A Raptor

Post by Vic Viper » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:05 pm

How do you even load this site? with all the gifs, signatures, buttons, backgrounds, emoji's, in-bedded pictures etc....
VFA-49 FORUM

"Why are we still here? Just to suffer? Every night, I can feel my leg... and my arm... even my fingers. The body I've lost... the comrades I've lost... won't stop hurting... It's like they're all still there. You feel it, too, don't you? I'm gonna make them give back our past"

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:57 pm

Dragon_Mech wrote:we're sorry, but YouTube is not compatible with 56k Dial-up internet access. :lol:
Damn son, that sounds a lot better than I have.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:19 am

Been a while.

I've been working on cleaning up the Utilites class lately - it was very unorganised and lead to a lot of... conflicts.

So that should help me get a clear head for the future.

I'm also starting a mass "code cleanup" - not changing anything but adding region tags and comments to the code - internal/intrinsic documentation to help the next person/people pickup using OYS straight away.

Another thing I'm doing is standardising my variable/method language. As a result you can now type "120.AsKnots() to have a value that returns 120, but is expressed in knots. I can then do 120.AsKnots().ToMetersPerSecond() to convert to the obvious very quickly.

In fact I'm surprised how easy it was to fix this all up - I had to re-arrange two conflicts and the rest was gravy!

So, coming up next: I want to sort out the restart issues - stability is my priority, so the YSFHQ server can use OYS properly.

Then I need to re-organise the World data and the way aircraft/objects are loaded... It's a stepping stone to having the server control it's own ground objects - so AAA/SAM fire, following paths etc.

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:51 am

Vic Viper wrote:How do you even load this site? with all the gifs, signatures, buttons, backgrounds, emoji's, in-bedded pictures etc....
i use the classic forum theme. most pages load quickly, unless there are alot of pictures like the screenshot threads.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:33 pm

Okay I've managed to find a way to create/destroy ground objects on the fly. Better than YSF anyway.

I need to change the strengths of objects to 0, without "removing" them, otherwise I can't bring that ground back without issuing packet 19 - which revives ALL grounds.

Consider I add object A, then remove object A from the servers grounds list. I then sent packet 19 to revive all grouns - on your PC, ground object A get's revived which is not what I want to happen.

Consider now I add ground object B. I remove object B from the server and send strength 0 to all the clients. I then revive the grounds of the server by sending all the clients the strength of the objects left (where B is no longer included). What happens is your PC "revives" all ground objects EXCEPT B.

So now I can do this, I can add and remove objects from the server on the fly - I can create a bus, remove it, create a new bus, etc.

drawback is, reviving grounds is now a longer process - I need to set the strength of every ground object the server is tracking!

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:05 am

OfficerFlake wrote:drawback is, reviving grounds is now a longer process
as long as the process dosen't take 15 minutes, we'll be fine :)

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:33 am

Dragon_Mech wrote:
OfficerFlake wrote:drawback is, reviving grounds is now a longer process
as long as the process dosen't take 15 minutes, we'll be fine :)
Nah, often when I complain something takes too long, we're talking in SECONDS.

If something is taking minutes, it's not included in the program.

---

Making good headway on restructuring MetaData and World to load data more powerfully. The current issue is data can be diffferent types: eg, engine thrust can be in footpounds (lbf) or tonnes(T). Which makes loading the data really complicated. So I've just started developing a system to convert suffixed strings to their appropriate formats, and then convert the output to the desired format.

For example, I store the .DAT value for weight of fuel in KG. It could be specified in LB though, so I go Numbers.ToKG(Input, out Value) - eg: ToKG("120.50lb", out value) would spit back 54.68 as a kilogram object. The smart part though is If I do ToKG("120.50kg", out value) then the result is 120.50 as you would expect it to be.

Christ I know it sounds like I'm speaking gobledygook but you have to see it to understand. It needs to be done!

I've done Velocity today, later I will do Weight/Mass, then Distances, anything else.

ONCE I'M DONE WITH THIS:

So once I can load .DAT data (not saying I'll do anything with it, but at least I'll have the option...) I can do better things. I can spawn aircraft at the correct heights above the ground (on the wheels.) but most importantly I can start using the DAT data to create good ground objects - grounds that can turn, follow motion paths, fire at approaching aircraft etc. In fact, I've already done the psuedo-code and it doesn't seem to difficult. 8-)

Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:22 pm

most impressive. :)

C P
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-18E SuperHornet

Post by C P » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:52 pm

Dragon_Mech wrote:most impressive. :)
Indeed!

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:25 am

With the current OYS version, there are rarely errors, but it says it couldn't send an e-mail because I don't have a secure connection or authinticiation. "5.5.1 Authentication Required," it says. Any ideas? I noticed that there is no exception for OYS in Windows Firewall. Should I add one? Port 7915 has an exception.
error.png
Error message

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:04 am

"bitconverter error" - yeah that has me a bit stumped to be honest - I don't know what is causing that! I'm trying to code work around though to stop the crashing there.

My guess is the program is sending it an empty packet for whatever reason...

---

"couldn't send email"

Yeah It's gmail being a bitch to me.

You are signing in from the US which gmail sees as suspicious as the email is from the USA.

I just had the idea of "bring your own bug report email address" - where you supply your own address to send bugs. but then I would only get reports from people who go out of their way (literally, getting emails to co-operate is a bitch!) to help me.

But I think I might just code up a PHP page on openys.ysfhq.com for bug reports - literally you post a .txt file of the crash and I look them up later - sort of like a silent auto-ticketing system. Perhaps after the world objects reform.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:16 am

Now Updated to Version 20151025(1549)

Changes:
+Internal structure changes.
+Aircraft objects: Metadata, CachedData - cached data has full info (strength, guns etc.) Metadata can be "cached" with MetaDataObject.Cache(), to load the .DAT file. Loading times reduced, .dat file lookup speed reduced, inter-object reliability and stability drasticly increased.
+OpenYS Utilities class overhauled - Conversion extension methods, code documentation.
+hopefully fixed the null packet empty data crash issue?
-Removed Nukes

Notes:
There might be a few unit conversion errors - hopefully not! I have done a lot of copy pasting and editing, something could go wrong with that!

Download: http://www.mediafire.com?51lkdqa75mhnqdw

Last edited by Flake on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff

Post by Flake » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:22 am

Some additional release notes:

Aircraft data is found using MetaData search:

MetaData._Aircraft.LoadAll() to load the entire aircraftlist.
MetaData._Aircraft.List is the list of Meta Aircrafts.
A Meta Aircraft is each argument in the LST (DAT, DNM, COLL, CPT, COARSE) and the IDENTIFY from the .DAT file.
MetaData.Aircraft ThisAircraft = MetaData._Aircraft.List[n] to grab a meta-aircraft object.
ThisAircraft.Cache() will give you back a CachedData object.
CachedData.IDENTIFY / CachedData.WEIGHFUEL etc. gives you the .DAT file data.

Vehicle class will refer to cached data frequently so it is held in memory. You can now use ThisVehicle.CachedData.WEIGHFUEL to get the .DAT file fuel. Not to be confused with ThisVehicle.Weight_Fuel to get the CURRENT fuel of the vehicle. 8-)

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:15 am

I have just set up a completely fresh installation (I did directly copy/paste the sequencer and automessages) and will leave it running over night. I'm going to bed, so I'll see if it is still running in the morning.

The first thing I notice is that there is no metadata issue reported when I use /restartnow.
The second thing I notice is that my aircraft spawns with 0% fuel, regardless of the setting I gave it before joining. Refueling at a jetway upon spawn works.