[HOW] Printed Aerial Advertising Banner

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

[HOW] Printed Aerial Advertising Banner

Post by u2fly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:46 am

IDEA: make SRF's and partly DNM code for adding aerial advertising in any aircraft in easy way.

If You know how do it animated, PLEASE, give your trick in comment!
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (online + PDF) | updated 2019/04/25

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: [HOW] Printed Aerial Advertising Banner

Post by decaff_42 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:44 pm

This is an interesting Idea. I am not sure if anyone has attempted it before.

There is no really perfect animation for this, however you could use a rudder animation to make it look like the banner is following you in the air.

Here's how I would do it:
(1) Make the banner as one rectangle and put on the appropriate decals. Merge the banner and printing into one object
(2) Cut the banner at even sections (say perhaps 5-10) and string them together in a parent-child tree with the ones closer to the aircraft being higher up the tree.
(3) Apply a small rudder animation rotation to each of the banner sections. Perhaps 1-2 degrees would be good.

(extra) if you wanted to go crazy (it would take a huge amount of extra complexity) you could have the bomb-bay command deploy the banner in-flight. This would take some trial and error to get right, but it might be possible.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database

Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:44 pm

I made one many years ago for the Point Mugu Air Show with a Cessna to advertise for Stellar. That was the day I crashed AirShowFan's server. Currently the NCA L-39 has a banner. I made them both as just text with a white polygon behind it. I never thought to try making individual segments and animate it like that.

u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:24 pm

decaff_42 wrote:This is an interesting Idea. I am not sure if anyone has attempted it before.

There is no really perfect animation for this, however you could use a rudder animation to make it look like the banner is following you in the air.

Here's how I would do it:
(1) Make the banner as one rectangle and put on the appropriate decals. Merge the banner and printing into one object
(2) Cut the banner at even sections (say perhaps 5-10) and string them together in a parent-child tree with the ones closer to the aircraft being higher up the tree.
(3) Apply a small rudder animation rotation to each of the banner sections. Perhaps 1-2 degrees would be good.

(extra) if you wanted to go crazy (it would take a huge amount of extra complexity) you could have the bomb-bay command deploy the banner in-flight. This would take some trial and error to get right, but it might be possible.
Think some tricks can be taken from "Dragon", that relised in Makoto Variaty Pack.
http://www.geocities.jp/room_makoto/mai ... p/mvp.html
/!\ READ YSFLIGHT HANDBOOK (online + PDF) | updated 2019/04/25

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:
“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost - we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”
http://pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV
(31 DEC 2016)