[BUG] Windows 7 and You (YSFlight)...

YSFlight general discussion & everything in between

Has YSFliight 2015 had ANY problems for you on a version of Windows? (You can only vote once)

Poll ended at Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:43 am

Windows 7 (All Editions)
39%
Windows Vista ("No! This is Patrick...")
6%
Windows XP (All Editions)
6%
Windows ME (I hope not!)
No votes
Windows 2000 (All Editions)
No votes
Other OS (Macintosh or Linux)
No votes
No problems encountered.
50%

Total votes: 18

Deleted User 2722

[BUG] Windows 7 and You (YSFlight)...

Post by Deleted User 2722 »

It has caught my attention that when minimized for an extended period of time (10 minutes or more), YSFlight will do one or all of the following:
  • - Cease to work and needed to be forced closed by Task Manager.
    - Have some function but sluggish/unable to complete a function (such as saving a flight) which could hang the program.
    - Ceases some functions in Windows such as changing application focus (Alt+Tab) while YSFlight is running.
    - While attempting to save a replay, YSFlight will crash!
    - If you are in a server and are flying, you have COMPLETE CONTROL of your actions even though all you see is a white screen. Once you exit the server, that is where problems begin.
  • - dwm.exe (Desktop Window Manager) could have been the cause but has been ruled out.
    - The Aero theme could have been the cause but that has been ruled out.
    - This appears to apply to ALL graphics cards, including if your drivers are up-to-date or not.
I coined this as the White Screen of Death!

Other users have appeared to have the same issue on Windows 7 running ALL versions of the executable.
Windows XP users are NOT affected! (I tested this!)

[*]The ALT key is missing from the key assignment menu as well...
[*]A feature suggestion is to bring back the old map preview of YS 2012. It actually had a textured look versus Windows 3.1 style colors...

Any more bugs encountered? Please reply with any bugs or suggestions!
Last edited by Deleted User 2722 on Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Re: [BUG] Windows 7 and You (YSFlight)...

Post by Flake »

I think this is a problem with OpenGL losing the device - more specifically, the OS saying "okay you aren't using that then, I'll just save some resources here..."

It's a coding issue in which a lost device is not being caught - other games of course don't have this problem.

I get this on Win7 as well, then my system lags a bit (even with a good PC... I have to close it off!)
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
NajmiCreative
Modding Team
Modding Team
Favorite Aircraft: MiG-29N,SU-30 MKM

Post by NajmiCreative »

no problem with it as I use the 2013 version but I had tried before and no error occured with......
and my laptop didn't have GPU but with Intel Graphics.....
My official website
My Twitter NOTE:All my rework model are allowed for repaint and need to credit on publish..no need to PM me anymore
[align=center]for modifications on my mods,please PM me first,and credit me and original creator(if my work were rework)[/align]
Deleted User 2722

NajmiCreative wrote:no problem with it as I use the 2013 version but I had tried before and no error occured with......
and my laptop didn't have GPU but with Intel Graphics.....
Intel graphics has issues on the 2015 version... Copper checked that one. Same stuff as mentioned above.
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by AdityaB »

Strats wrote:It has caught my attention that when minimized for an extended period of time (10 minutes or more), YSFlight will do one or all of the following:

- Cease to work and needed to be forced closed by Task Manager.
- Have some function but sluggish/unable to complete a function (such as saving a flight) which could hang the program.
- While attempting to save a replay, YSFlight will crash!
Well, of late, I too am facing theses above mentioned problems....so I got YSF uninstalled.....I decided it must be because of overloading of disk or RAM space....I guess I am wrong(??)

Yeah, but one thing.....as Strats mentions "........ - Cease to work and needed to be forced closed by Task Manager. .........." ... Well, my Win7 refuses to even open Task Manager!

My YSF crashes after a while of playing or on replaying ( in about 10mins ) !

Got no idea why...!?

:? :?

Thanks a lot.... :)
Please note that I do not mean any kind of offence in any of my posts
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
:) :) :)
*temporarily unavailable further details
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: F-14, F-15D&E, SR-71, King Air 200, B737

Post by Dragon_Mech »

my YSF 2015 has issues when i minimize the program from a full screen and then restore it. the game only shows a black screen when i restore it to full screen. i can still hear sounds but i can't see anything. i have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 PCI-E x16 GPU.
Owner, Dragonic Machine Industries
Deleted User 2722

AdityaB wrote: Well, of late, I too am facing theses above mentioned problems....so I got YSF uninstalled.....I decided it must be because of overloading of disk or RAM space....I guess I am wrong(??)

Yeah, but one thing.....as Strats mentions "........ - Cease to work and needed to be forced closed by Task Manager. .........." ... Well, my Win7 refuses to even open Task Manager!

My YSF crashes after a while of playing or on replaying ( in about 10mins ) !

Got no idea why...!?

:? :?

Thanks a lot.... :)
That is definitely not the RAM. As OF said, it is OpenGL basically saying "Oh... You minimized your YSFlight. I don't need to be used now so I am shutting my graphics off." This creates complications as I described above. If anything, it uses alot of CPU for a well established reason.
Dragon_Mech wrote:my YSF 2015 has issues when i minimize the program from a full screen and then restore it. the game only shows a black screen when i restore it to full screen. i can still hear sounds but i can't see anything. i have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit with Service Pack 1 and an Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 PCI-E x16 GPU.
Not ruling out that it could be a Black Screen of Death as well. You will sounds as well. You can control but you cannot see: flying blind. The current solution appears to be for you to download YSFlight 2013. As OF said, coding issue.
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

Strats wrote:Not ruling out that it could be a Black Screen of Death as well. You will sounds as well. You can control but you cannot see: flying blind. The current solution appears to be for you to download YSFlight 2013. As OF said, coding issue
i already have the 2013 version (i keep it for compatibility with servers running the stock 2011-2013 server program) and i get the same "Black Screen Of Death" as i get with the 2015 version.
Deleted User 2722

Dragon_Mech wrote: i already have the 2013 version (i keep it for compatibility with servers running the stock 2011-2013 server program) and i get the same "Black Screen Of Death" as i get with the 2015 version.
The 2011 version is bug free AFAIK.
Copperhead
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: YF-23A Black Widow II

Post by Copperhead »

I haven't encountered the "white screen of death" in a while, but it usually happened after leaving YS minimized for 20-30 mins...

Also, on the toppic of bugs,... is anybody else missing that little white crosshair on the map while selecting your start position? This is issue has only been encountered on D3D,... GL works fine.

^The Happy Murican^

<BoH
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

Copperhead wrote:is anybody else missing that little white crosshair on the map while selecting your start position?
It is only on certain maps, but I've had that problem. Especially when dealing with carrier start positions.
Strats wrote:It has caught my attention that when minimized for an extended period of time (10 minutes or more), YSFlight will do one or all of the following:
I've never had YS completely die on me like that as far as I can remember, but I do have an issue where certain parts of an airplane model do not show up in outside views until you go to the cockpit view and then return to the outside view.
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

Strats wrote:The 2011 version is bug free AFAIK.
and not compatible with addons that use features for the 2012, 2013 and 2015 versions of YSF.
from my point of view, my issue is a minor one that is avoidable as long as i don't minimize the program or switch programs while using YSFlight in full screen mode.
my issue is definitey not worth rendering a chunk of my addon collection useless.
Deleted User 2722

Dragon_Mech wrote: and not compatible with addons that use features for the 2012, 2013 and 2015 versions of YSF.
from my point of view, my issue is a minor one that is avoidable as long as i don't minimize the program or switch programs while using YSFlight in full screen mode.
my issue is definitey not worth rendering a chunk of my addon collection useless.
I feel the need to clarify this. Do you refer to a fullscreen as a maximized window or fullscreen mode? My posts have referred to being in a windowed-mode and not fullscreen. Good to know that it happens in fullscreen but you cannot minimize a fullscreen unless task manager is opened or Alt+Tab is pressed.
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

i'm refering to fullscreen mode.( and i'm an advanced PC user :D )
Deleted User 2722

Dragon_Mech wrote:i'm refering to fullscreen mode.( and i'm an advanced PC user :D )
Good to know! :D I too know my way around (YSFlight). Some people understand things differently as I know all too well (I dislike Christmas music... :evil: ). Sorry if I insulted your skill.
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I like how the Vista option is only for me. I am, after all, the only person in the world still using Vista.

I have the Aero theme turned off, by the way. I never liked it.
Deleted User 2722

Patrick31337 wrote:I like how the Vista option is only for me. I am, after all, the only person in the world still using Vista.

I have the Aero theme turned off, by the way. I never liked it.
The results are in! Well after that poll, it looks like Windows 7 was the most problematic yet I am one of the not-so-special people who is STILL using Windows XP. Your more exclusive! I voted for 7 of course due to running them both. I too have the Aero theme turned off as I dislike it's memory usage.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

What about windows 10 users. I have a huge list of problems to share
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Deleted User 2722

Strats wrote:Any more bugs encountered? Please reply with any bugs or suggestions!
Any bug is welcomed here. Post away!
Dragon_Mech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Dragon_Mech »

Strats wrote: Sorry if I insulted your skill.
nah. it's a good practice to assume ignorance untell proof of knowledge is shown.