YS Flight Traffic?

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
vmateen
Favorite Aircraft: A-10

YS Flight Traffic?

Post by vmateen »

Is there a way for me to add a flight that I made and saved the .ysf file for to a map scenery using a text editor? I'm on a mac and none of the editing programs that i've seen have worked thus far... I'm trying to use this to creaate additional air traffic on some of the maps i fly on offline.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Vern Burn 8-)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: YS Flight Traffic?

Post by decaff_42 »

Hello there fellow mac user!

What programs were you attempting to use? I believe that Scenery editor lets you put in airplanes and have them fly a course/pattern. YSMajor accomplished this with straight ground objects and a motion path on his Vietnam Map. However the 241st map has a stock C-130 that taxi's to the runway, pauses and then takes off. Perhaps if you opened this in the latest Scenery Editor you could reverse engineer it some.

I vaguely remember some maps (like the stock Heathrow) having traffic addons, but I'm not sure how these were made. PatrickN and other Scenery Editor wizzards might be able to help answer your question further, but I'd recommend trying to reverse engineer something via Scenery Editor.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Neocon
First Class Membership
First Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Baron 58

Post by Neocon »

I think you just add the file path for the saved .ysf file to the .lst file after the .stp file path.
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

Patrick31337 wrote:I think you just add the file path for the saved .ysf file to the .lst file after the .stp file path.
As I understand, it's possible make scenery that always have active inbuilt mission.
Also, sew that stock scenery use YFS ("ysf" is incorrect name!) file for placing ground objects. Here is example from stock "scenery.lst":

Code: Select all

SMALL_MAP scenery/small.fld scenery/small.stp scenery/small.yfs
But inside "small.yfs" there no any header string ("YFSVERSI ...").

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake »

Hey u2 did you also know you can have aircraft records saved in the "ground file" YFS?

It's a little exploit we've been using for years to play replays publicly on YSFlight Servers (eg: Airshows).

The only downside is smoke is not drawn for some reason. Perhaps Soji will fix this one day. When loading a ground YFS file that has aircraft records, YSFlight will give a warning. Instead I feel this should be embraced, and no warning given. Full support should be given to allow aircraft in record files... It's something for the wishlist thread.

Anyway thought you'd like to know about that as you generally are quite creative in pushing YSFlights limits.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by AdityaB »

OfficerFlake wrote:Hey u2 did you also know you can have aircraft records saved in the "ground file" YFS?

It's a little exploit we've been using for years to play replays publicly on YSFlight Servers (eg: Airshows).
Hey, that's something new to me!

So each replay has, let's say one aircraft doing the circuits..... So can we call any number of such files? Or is it restricted to only one?

Thanks a lot :)
Please note that I do not mean any kind of offence in any of my posts
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
:) :) :)
*temporarily unavailable further details
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

You can have many aircraft, just like a normal YFS file.

Turbofan if I am not mistaken made a few YFS file addons in the past to add "live traffic" feel to scenery.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!
vmateen
Favorite Aircraft: A-10

Post by vmateen »

decaff_42 wrote:Hello there fellow mac user!

What programs were you attempting to use? I believe that Scenery editor lets you put in airplanes and have them fly a course/pattern. YSMajor accomplished this with straight ground objects and a motion path on his Vietnam Map. However the 241st map has a stock C-130 that taxi's to the runway, pauses and then takes off. Perhaps if you opened this in the latest Scenery Editor you could reverse engineer it some.

I vaguely remember some maps (like the stock Heathrow) having traffic addons, but I'm not sure how these were made. PatrickN and other Scenery Editor wizzards might be able to help answer your question further, but I'd recommend trying to reverse engineer something via Scenery Editor.
Ello decaff,

Just 2 programs really, Scenery Editor and MU. I've been trying to use Eric's Mission Utility which i got to work once then I kept getting a coding error so i fiddled with the script but wasn't too well versed in it so I put it off. I haven't been able to actually create a working path in the Scenery Editor, which could mean I'm doing something wrong...
DD-Destroyer
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: FA-50 Golden Eagle

Post by DD-Destroyer »

Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Found it!

So does anyone know if the .yfs file loads on servers?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

Just a guess Barracuz but probably not.
I have a problem using the .yfs file as I can not control my primary aircraft using 20150425 version.The .yfs loads ok but the replay model defaults to the primary aircraft and the actual primary is disabled.I can get the views just not control of the primary.Any clues to help would be appreciated.
Image[/align=centre]
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Actually, it does load on servers!

You need to make sure your servers "record replay" setting is set otherwise the aircraft are destroyed.

gunny at the top of the YFS file you might see "Event blocks" - delete all those entries. Finally go to the AIRPLANE line of the aircraft you wish to edit and it will read AIRPLANE xxxx yyyy where yyyy is TRUE or FALSE. Set to true to make the player aircraft. ;)
u2fly
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Antonov An-225 Mriya

Post by u2fly »

OfficerFlake wrote:Actually, it does load on servers!
You need to make sure your servers "record replay" setting is set otherwise the aircraft are destroyed.
As I know there is only "Record Flight" option inside menu "Network(N) -> Network Option(O) -> Server1". If you switch this ON, then all server activity would be recorded and only when you stop server work, you can view this record ONLY IN OFFLINE!
And there no any possibility for run replay directly on server using standart YSFlight network manager (maybe OpenYS can do it, i don't know).

But one trick there maybe can use is to define YFS file directly in scenery.lst for those scenery, that used on server. Look inside stock scenery list and you will see similar to this

U.S. Senator John McCain wrote:“Spending #NewYearsEve w/ brave #Ukrainian Marines at a forward combat outpost
- we stand w/ them in their fight against #Putin's aggression”

pic.twitter.com/vkz0gdozVV [archived]
(31 DEC 2016)
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

u2fly wrote:But one trick there maybe can use is to define YFS file directly in scenery.lst for those scenery, that used on server. Look inside stock scenery list and you will see similar to this

Correct, in fact this is exactly how it is done for a replay to be loaded on a server.
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

How have we not exploited this on servers already?!?!?!?! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now how about Openys?
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 »

I think mostly for lag control. Lots of airplanes = lots of lag. Even if you used stock airplanes, it could still get crazy really fast.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

pretty much.

One flight data packet in YSF is ~96 bytes long. Add several aircraft and the disable nagle algorythmn (look it up!) and bandwidth use and lag increases a lot.

OpenYS has a replay loading and playing function already (see the commands for this) but it's quite primitive at the moment.
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^To give some perspective on file sizes for multi-aircraft replays, several of my replays have 30-35 aircraft, run for about an hour or so and are 40-50 MB. I use addon aircraft only and they are mostly low-medium intensity (YGL Pack, Owl's Airbuses, TF 58 and Dan/Dave Simple Airliners with a CHF 777 and some other high-intensity aircraft thrown in there). There are a few however that have more than 35 aircraft and are ~65-70 MB.

And I haven't released addons for replays per se, but I have released some actual replays before. :)
AdityaB
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: All

Post by AdityaB »

Sorry, OfficerFlake, you put me to think there! :|

Of course there can be multiple aircraft in a .ysf :)

I meant in the .lst (scenery) file can we have something like:

TEST user/xyz/test.fld user/xyz/test.stp user/xyz/traffic1.ysf user/xyz/traffic2.ysf
Or we have to just stop at traffic 1?? I mean like, YSF reads only one file... Is it like that? :?:

Thanks a lot :)
Please note that I do not mean any kind of offence in any of my posts
My Website:
YS Flight South Asia
Get full list of
my releases at:
AdityaB's Facility
:) :) :)
*temporarily unavailable further details
Flake
VFA-49
VFA-49

Post by Flake »

Oh, right.

Sadly no, only one record.

If you want I can write an app to merge the two records into the one record (and not append on to the end? Like YSFlightReplayMerger does)