Screenshot database

Screenshots, videos, replays, & more
Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Screenshot database

Post by Eric »

I am thinking of creating a screenshot database (similar to ETNU's old one) but with more functionality. However, that would require everyone to upload their photos to the gallery, and I'm pretty sure that not many people would be willing to do that (as they should be able to use their own image host). Therefore, I was wondering if you guys know of any strategies to accomplish having a central YS screenshot database (with categories, rankings, comments and such) but also allow people to upload to their image host of choice. As far as I know, many existing web galleries (mostly PHP-based) do not allow off-site linking, and so the logical solution there would be to store all the images on one server (users would upload manually).

What I am thinking of is to let people upload to their image-host of choice (photobucket, imageshack, flickr, etc.) and then have the screenshot gallery get the image directly from the off-site server, instead of storing a local copy on the gallery web server. That way, users could rate and comment on the pictures they have posted, without having to go through a 3rd-party to upload their images (therefore saving time and increasing reliability/redundancy). In short, I need to find a web-based image gallery that allows the locations of images to be at photobucket [for example], while keeping the ratings and comments on the local gallery. If you know of anything like this, or have any other suggestions, please let me know.
I make this website.
vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Re: Screenshot database

Post by vandal »

I don't see why we can't upload them to this YSFHQ database? I wouldn't have no problem. In fact, I'd rather have a YSFHQ database to save me switching form website to website when I have many images to link.

What I would like to see is:
- Any image uploaded to a post as an attached file, and automatically goes to the gallery.
- Able to access your gallery uploads when posting so you can just click on the image and it is automatically inserted into the post.
- Able to link to the images, so that we are able to post them on other forums.
- Voting system out of 5 on how good it is.
- Commenting on images.
Awesome 171st pilot
A member from yesteryear!
Also known as Princess Vandel
Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Post by Iceman »

Because I pay for this, you dolt. If you want more space, have a look at our generous sponsors (THAT DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN CLICK THE ADS). =D
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax
vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal »

It would be an off site database Ice. He was just worried people wouldn't want to upload to there.
Awesome 171st pilot
A member from yesteryear!
Also known as Princess Vandel
Iceman
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C Viper

Post by Iceman »

vandal wrote:It would be an off site database Ice. He was just worried people wouldn't want to upload to there.
Oh.

In that case, I'm all for it.
You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1
Homie I'll SQL YOUR syntax