Project ideas

YSFlight addon development, questions, tutorials, & more!
Crazypilot
Honorary Contributor
Honorary Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-16C

Re: Project ideas

Post by Crazypilot » Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:27 am

Okay.
Boneless Pizza

Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 am

Idea: Ground and Maritime Target upgrade pack.

Objective: Create ground objects that can be used as an alternative to the stock ground objects, that are realisticly strong. Tanks that take more than a light peppering from a 20MM to take down. Ships that don't fold up and die after a single rocket. Not uber hard but more of a challenge.

We could use the number of rockets it takes to kill a particular target as a measure. Say a tank being 1 and a destroyer being 3. Minimum damage being set in such a way as to require a more stout weapon.

(possible standardization of weapon strengths?)
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Post by decaff_42 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:21 am

The 'S-word'! *cowers in fear*

lol, good idea. but it would take a lot of work to implement that with all the packs out there.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Server Flight Log
Addon Database Submit Addon To Database

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:50 pm

If we we do standardize, then they should be base off of Soji's numbers (stock gunpowers, strengths, etc).
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Hell no. Soji's ground objects suck. :lol:

Animal
Animal
Animal
Favorite Aircraft: Unspecified

Post by Animal » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:55 pm

Honey Badger wrote:If we we do standardize, then they should be base off of Soji's numbers (stock gunpowers, strengths, etc).
Welcome to defeating the purpose of the project 101, with professor honey badger. For those of you paying attention, you got the idea. The point is not object replacement but new objects that are far closer to being as robust as real tanks and ships, as well as equally as threatening
They say that he feeds upon the tears of newbs, and that he spent an entire day feeding an effigy of Ricm into a desk fan. All we know is, he's called Animal.

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Animal wrote:
Honey Badger wrote:If we we do standardize, then they should be base off of Soji's numbers (stock gunpowers, strengths, etc).
Welcome to defeating the purpose of the project 101, with professor honey badger. For those of you paying attention, you got the idea. The point is not object replacement but new objects that are far closer to being as robust as real tanks and ships, as well as equally as threatening
^this.

I don't know if animal's outline remains the same as what we had originally discussed, but here's the list I have for the objects:

ZSU-23 shilka (main aaa)
-The shilka would be able to fire straight up and level to the ground, removing the weakness in the original AAA of not being able to shoot under a 30 degree angle. Upping it from the stock strength a little also might not hurt, and they should be mobile.

udaloy (fixed)
-The udaloy, so far as anti aircraft measures exist, is pretty okay. However, no boat should sink because it got hit by a single rocket. It needs to be tougher, and it also needs to be mobile.

type 052c (burke replacement, long range air cover)
-the type 052c would be the replacement for the burke destroyer. We've toyed with a long range air cover dat pretty extensively in the past, and we've managed to create one that starts shooting at you about 40 miles away. We have one that does this with retargeters, and one that does so with non-retargeting aim-120's. (not sure how the latter worked out, past a certain distance they just become the 2010 version missiles again apparently) As with the other targets, these need to be tougher than the stock targets and mobile. We should probably also give it some really amazing short range guns.

9K37 Buk (sam tank)
The sam trucks should also have increased range, and not be limited to such an angle. We should also have some radar sam systems with a high bottom, and some IR sam systems that shoot the 9x with no bottom, but limited range.

non-radar detectable handheld SAM launchers
If you've been on the GAC server anytime this year, you've seen these. We give them the line that makes them not appear on radar (because, well, they're people) and give them a tiny SAM launcher. Probably a good IR sam platform. Maybe with the old aim-9?

Tanks
We never seem to kill tanks. Their diminutive size makes them far more interesting to kill than the standard skyscrapers everyone is so fond of killing. Also, mobile. Tanks have a good deal of potential as far as placement goes too.

Smart placement:
This isn't a ground object, but bomb has often said that we need ground attack targets that make sense; boats that sit next to an island in a tight cluster of 20 ships is retarded and would never happen. Boats would be out at sea, and not in super tight clusters. Sams and AAA defend things that are actually worth defending, like an airstrip, a bridge, a bunker, a port, not the middle of a barren fucking island. We should also aim to have cities that make sense, not some sort of skyscraper spam with a couple of smaller rectangles we call "shops". Supply lines are also an interesting thing, as well as merchant vessels. We ought to have radar sites and command & control stuff to blow up. Perhaps representing this with an enemy VOR point? Anyways, there are loads of unexploited possibilities and this would be a huge improvement in ys CAS.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:35 pm

The whole smart placement thing makes sense, and some of that can be found on Major's maps, but that's more up to an individual map maker. I like the idea about making things more realistic, but at the same time we're almost talking about a new version of YSF.

Server Flight Log

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:41 pm

There is a new version of ysf coming out, and it's going to make this sort of thinking crucial if we're to make the most of it. It'll make bridges actually worth defending, boats will be placed as deterrence because of how user-controlled ground objects will be legitimately threatened by them, ect. ect. the possibilities are endless. I've also been toying around with a number of in-air ideas, but those are going to remain within the confines of the 171st for the moment.

And anyways, ground objects are like the easiest thing to make in YS. The models are simple, the dats are straightforward, and the placement is a two-click affair. We can do this.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:56 pm

I know there's a new version, coming out. I didn't realize the full extent of the changes. I thought that it was just going to be the ability to drive/launch tangent to a ski jump of bridge.

Server Flight Log

vandal
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Tornado GR4

Post by vandal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:32 am

The type 052C is a beautiful ship.
OMG look at the ships number :o
Awesome 171st pilot
>>>I am the shadow, and the smoke in your eyes. I am the ghost, that hides in the night<<<
Used to be an Admin, but then I rage quit. Now just one of you normal rejects
Also known as Princess Vandel

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:05 am

decaff_42 wrote:I know there's a new version, coming out. I didn't realize the full extent of the changes. I thought that it was just going to be the ability to drive/launch tangent to a ski jump of bridge.
The things I mentioned are already possible in ys. And in the new version, we can also control ground objects, which is pretty damn cool.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 am

Can't wait for that to come out... :)

Server Flight Log

Shutter

Post by Shutter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:01 am

Agreed.

Boom
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: F-15, F-22

Post by Boom » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:26 am

I might make a 777 or something that shoots kamikaze mirage 2000s (amraam wpnshape) and the guns are mounted on wingtip f-15s =)

Bombs might be fallings army tanks, and rockets could be space shuttles

Honey Badger
57th Polyvalent Sq
57th Polyvalent Sq
Favorite Aircraft: Anything that gets off the ground

Post by Honey Badger » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:51 pm

I personally thought it would be awesome to remove the engines on a 747 and replace them with C172s. It'd be the Boeing 4172. :lol:
USAF Computer Systems Programmer (3D0X4)
"Powerpoint Ranger"