Post by Turbofan »

^Nice job on the nose! Looks great. :)
decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Re: Decaff's Garage

Post by decaff_42 »

Thanks! I did another pass at the nose and I think is as close to perfect as I'm going to get it.

Anyway, I decided against refurbishing a sketchup model of the Pratt & Rolls Royce engines for this project. They were horrible. Therefore I modified the GE engines to become the Pratt & Whitney engines and then scratch made the Rolls Royce engines from a handful of okay images. It is interesting because the RR engines have about a 10% smaller diameter (1.88m) compared to the other engines.

Rolls Royce Engines:

Pratt & Whitney Engines:
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

YSFlight Addon Database - Find links to nearly every addon made for YSFlight!
Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: The Boeing 757

Post by Barr »

Now I'm just curious. How do you go about stretching the models? Do you split the model in diffrent parts and move and delete geometry? A modifier you apply? Or the models were already available?

From what I've read it seems you select a portion of the model and move and delete parts in order to get it done.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

So I tried to write up a quick and dirty tutorial about how to do that last night and I thought I hit submit, but apparently did not. Anyway, in case you did not see the link in the mchat, you can find the new tutorial on my website here.

Okay updates on the 757. I have eased off the development pace so I can do other work, but I did some research and apparently the GE engine for the 757 was dropped during it's development. Therefore I decided to simply have 10 versions of the aircraft, 5 with the Rolls and 5 with the Pratt engines. ;)
Visit my GitHub page for Python codes: https://github.com/decaff42?tab=repositories

Submit Addon To Database
jetskit
Penguin Airways VA
Penguin Airways VA
Favorite Aircraft: 757 - 200,787,a319,a320

Post by jetskit »

Decaff, don't want to sound rude but, shouldn't the 757 cockpit have that authentic brown leather colour?
"Aviation was not an industry nor a science. It was a love."|YS ATCO|PAVA CEO|
Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny »

The interior colors of the 757s as in any aircraft can vary widely depending on the customers order preference.So there is not really any [authentic] color.Probably what you are referring to is the standard stock base color of muted brown.Most airliner flight decks lean toward muted tones of various colors in order to promote a relaxed calm feeling without putting the flight crew to sleep as it where.But decaffs rendition is just as authentic as any 757s in service.
Sorry decaff I didn't mean to highjack you post ;)
Image[/align=centre]
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

I was out grocery shopping and cooking so I didn't see it until now, but thanks for chiming in Gunny.

While the interior colors vary, I just don't like the tan and brown setup. To me it is so very unlike most cockpits to almost be distracting so I decided against it. If you want to paint it a different color for your VA (once I finish everything!) feel free to do so. I am simply exercising my creative license here. ;)

-- Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 am --

Well after getting some homework assignments finished today I began to finalize the blank 757 aircraft. I ran into a whole host of issues, including some dnm import/export issues with the engines (missing faces and such).

I found a mistake in the cockpit which I fixed:

I also updated the flap movement so the trailing flaps moved in addition to rotating relative to the first flap:

Finally I touched up some features on the cargo version of the -200. Please ignore the lack of engines as this was done before final blank generation.

Overall I am very happy with how the aircraft has been flying in my test flights. I used the dat file from TF58's 757s and modified several areas to make it more realistic and then match the new model.

It cruises right around 500-525 knots at 30,000 feet. I'm not sure how long it's legs are, but there should be enough gas for more than 2.5 hours of full-throttle flight. (based on my calculations). Additionally it seems to share the real life characteristic of either slowing down or descending - not both at the same time. (I read a few pilot's comments on how it handled. ;)

Submit Addon To Database
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 747, all variants

Post by Turbofan »

^That flap movement - way cool.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

I was digging around some 757 images and found that Varig quite has a few different variants. I was about to make the Varig logo before I realized that I already had part of it done for a civilian 707 repaint. Last night I went in and made the script and then today I modified the start logo into an arrow that some of the cargo 757s have for Varig.

All of this was hand-traced as dealing with hundreds of different curves just wasn't something I wanted to tackle.

The script is only 600 vertices and the total of what you see is something like 1100 vertices. :D

Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barr »

Looking nice! Desperately awaiting the release.

And many thanks for the variant tutorial. It cleared up many questions and eased my mind.
Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
My knowledge is limited. Anything I write in my posts may or may not be accurate. To be honest I think its all crap.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Been working on a few paints, but now homework and take-home exams are going to rule my weekend. I'm looking to do a few more airlines and then compile a release. As I've looked through the images online I'm surprised how many more Rolls Royce Engines there are on the 757 fleets. From what I've seen it's something like 5:1 Rolls vs Pratt.

Here's a couple examples of what I've got.

Submit Addon To Database
Barr
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barr »

Beginner ATC for hire!
Current Projects:
-Pilatus PC12
-Mooney M20
-New England Scenery
Fine Print:
**Word of Caution**
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Well, I got my homework done and started my exam. (The exam seems straight forward enough, so I hope to get it done before Sunday.

In the mean time, here's some US Airways Paints I did.

In order to expand and improve my decal pack I have begun to include the fonts that can be used for various decals (like the boeing number font) or the Star Alliance approximation font (which was 100% free from google) I had to make a new decal for this aircraft because the text was extremely skinny.

I have also added in the YSPaint Kit fonts because those are really useful. I also found that there is a master key for the old airlines font, which I included.

Another thing that I am going to add for all decals that I will make in the future is an srf with a few faces painted the different colors that the airline uses. Sometimes you can find marketing information which gives exact colors, so I figure I would include that information. ;)

-- Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:25 pm --

So I spent most of the daylight hours working on my exam and I'm proud to say after 16 pages of math, it's done! :D The professor wanted a super-neat final draft, so my messy handwriting had to be re-trained.

To celebrate I made 6 more paints for the 757, including the first 757-300 repaint! I did 2 more United Airlines 757-200s, and then 4 Icelandair paints (2x 757-200, 1x 757-300, 1x 757-200F)

Submit Addon To Database
Av8Tor
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing 737

Post by Av8Tor »

IM DROLLING
Blackhawk11223344
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: AH-64

Post by Blackhawk11223344 »

The U.S Air one! Dang, I seen that and in my mind I was saying "Must Have!! Blackhawk Want!!" So excited to see what all you have in store for this. Beautiful work. I wish I was this good ;). I must be completely honest and say these look like models for FSX!!!
Always go by all rumors are false, rather than true. As if you take them as if they are true you can end up worse than what you started.
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

Well I hope you enjoy them!

Pack has 22 aircraft from 8 airlines!

-- Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 am --

Decal Pack 11.20.2014 has been released!

-- Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:19 pm --

Well, It has been a while since I posted anything here. Been slowly working on some things behind the scenes while completing exams and homeworks. (BTW, I discovered the extreme annoyances associated with a TA losing half my exam...Saw online that my grade was a 47 and I was like WTF. Had to re-take the section that was lost but in the end, I got a 89.)

Can anyone guess what aircraft this is from?

Submit Addon To Database
iqmal_97
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Sukhoi Su-30MKM

Post by iqmal_97 »

My take would be the Dreamliner (787).
[N007HA]Nynaiqmal_97 <= My usual online callsign
Mein Imgur gallery. Feel free to use any of my screenshots (Crediting me is optional, but greatly appreciated)
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Either the 787 or the 350, with those side windows it's kind of hard to tell exactly which one (they both have similar window styles).
decaff_42
Staff
Staff

Post by decaff_42 »

The a350 has 6 windows for the cockpit

This is the 787! I am working on it and looking for a good top-down (real life) photo of the wing. The 3-views that I've seen have the wrong flap setups, so I'd like to get a reference that has them correct!

Submit Addon To Database
Turbofan
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran

Post by Turbofan »

Ahh yes, I forgot Airbus stuck to the six-window layout. Good call decaff! I'll see if I can find some reference videos/photos for you. It's interesting that the 787 has single-slotted flaps both inboard and outboard whereas all other Boeing heavies have had the double-slotted inboard and single-slotted outboard flap systems. So far I have found some media that may help you.

United 787-8 top-down view at LAX

All Nippon 787landing at HND - Kind of a long video, the good stuff starts at around 5 minutes into the video. You'll see how the flaps work, and the inboard aileron is actually a split aileron, the lower part moves much more than the upper part, which is actually hinged to the wing and moves a bit slower.

Norwegian 787 landing shot - this shows the flaps from the front as the plane's landing. Not sure how helpful this shot will be but I thought it couldn't hurt. :)

I also found this discussion of the 787 flap deployment quite interesting. It appears the flaps are simple hinged (a bit offset on the hinges) rather than pure Fowler flaps, that first move backwards and then start drooping down.
Last edited by Turbofan on Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.