[REQUEST] Boeing 367-80 "Dash 80" (707 Prototype)

Looking for a particular addon? Search first and ask second!
HawkbitAlpha
2nd United Combat Wing
2nd United Combat Wing
Favorite Aircraft: Tristar, F-5 family

[REQUEST] Boeing 367-80 "Dash 80" (707 Prototype)

Post by HawkbitAlpha »

Honestly, I'm surprised we don't already have this one!

At the dawn of the civilian jet age, the legendary De Havilland Comet was already on its way out of the public's good graces after going through multiple mid-air breakups. At the same time, in the mid-50s Boeing was setting out to prove that they had what it took to make an passenger jet for US airlines, having already built the B-47 and B-52 for the Air Force. When the airlines weren't convinced of the company's ability to pull it off, Boeing took the long way around, building a completed single prototype to present to the heads of Pan Am, TWA, American, and more. Three years and two aileron rolls over Seattle later, that prototype, the 367-80 or "Dash 80", would become the basis for what we now know as the 707 and its military derivatives, including the E-3 and KC-135.

We have a lot of the early jet airliners in the world of YS mods (including the aforementioned DH Comet), but oddly enough, I wasn't able to find a single example of the Dash 80 anywhere. Usually, I wouldn't think a prototype aircraft would need to be made into a mod, but the Dash 80 is quite different: it has a strong historical significance as the starting point of the entire Boeing legacy of airliners.

...Well, that, and it has a pretty nice paint scheme...

I'm not sure what exactly it would take to convert an existing 707 model to be a Dash 80, but by god, it would be great if we could see the OG of Boeing brought back to the skies in YS. I can only hope one of you absolute legends of Blender would think the same!

Manager, Host, Pilot @ VCAP Aerobatics | 2021-Present
"Wedge", CO @ 2nd United Combat Wing | 2020-Present