YSFlight general discussion & everything in between
koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie
Favorite Aircraft: Lockheed P-38

How to fly using the Virtual Air-Traffic Controller

Post by koshyajit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:08 am

Hello All;
New to this forum...many thanks to Eric for helping me! :)
Can any of you explain this whole air-traffic control bit. I started flying Y S Flight Simulator about two years ago. My father always wanted me to be a pilot (and I always wanted to be one)...and so, when he passed away, I decided to learn how to, even if it was just in a virtual world. I didn't know anything about flying other than that I wanted to do it!! So, I've learnt all of it by trial and error. On most of the standard built in maps (which come with the original package), I just set the ILS (because I've memorized the landscape and the runway numbers) and fly to and from specific airports. Now, I am trying to be more "professional" (yah, that's a joke!) and use the virtual air-traffic controller's help. However, he/she/it seems to lead me in every way but the logical way from point A to point B. I am sure that real air-traffic control doesn't do that!! Is there some setting I am missing on the game, or is it just that I am stupid and don't know how to interpret the instructions.

For example:
When I am flying from Misawa 28 to Aomori 24, I usually take off, turn right to a setting of around 30 or 33 and gently correct to 24 using my ILS to come in for a smooth, no-hassle landing into Aomori.
When I use the virtual air-traffic controller's help/instructions, it recommends a setting of 27 shortly after take-off, runs me to within Line-of-Sight to the Aamori airport before giving me wild, crazy circling directions which just drive me nuts. What gives?? It is almost impossible for me to fly commercial aircraft (with slow turn rates) with these kind of air-traffic instructions.

Please help!!

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Re: How to fly using the Virtual Air-Traffic Controller

Post by koshyajit » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:20 pm

I think I have a way to work around our 'crazy' virtual Flight Control, but I will wait another day or two until I post my answer/solution, just to make sure I don't say anything silly...there may be 'actual' pilots in this community who might still be able to give an educated answer to this question. :)

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Post by Gunny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 pm

May i suggest that you go here and and use this utility http://forum.ysfhq.com/viewtopic.php?f=236&t=4317 for your flights before you take to the air. I only use the AI ATC as a tool to intercept the ILS @ about 16 miles from my chosen R/W or to find an approach to the field if the VOR is out of range.The altitude of 1500 ' is good for Lt. A/C approach and the airspeeds seem to be more geared to Lt.A/C as well.If you use the newest untested version of YSflight there is an approach and landing analyzer to view your technique it has glide slope and R/W alignment for reference.But if you are flying heavy s the approach altitudes and speeds are way to low and slow so the analyzer will show you high of the glide slope @ 3000'.So you will need to use your judgment as to the approach and airspeeds needed. I suggest if flying a heavy that you start your flair as you are passing over the threshold of the R/W and aim for the double hash marks just after the thresh hold or numbers so as to avoid a nose down attitude on touchdown. These techniques work for me but as in all things practice and judgment are up to you. Good flying koshyajit. :)

P.S. I was a real world pilot.And any resembalence between the real world and Ysflight is strictly coincadental.
Image[/align=centre]

VNAF ONE
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: A-10C Thunderbolt II

Post by VNAF ONE » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:41 pm

Honestly, I don't even use the ATC in YS. I just don't find AI ATC very useful unless I actually care to use it in something like FSX. Even that ATC bugs me most of the time.

What you should know however is that the ATC in YS is more or less geared to instrument flying (and as Gunny stated, small/light aircraft). Typically, you are allowed to fly from one airport to another by visual reference (visual flight reference or VFR) under VFR conditions. ILS is used for intrument approaches which is IFR. The ATC does an OK job considering this since instrument approaches usually involve vectoring that wouldn't make much sense when you can see the airport the whole time.

Basically, the ATC in YS isn't quite ready for VFR operations as if it were, the controller would simply say "make straight in/enter right base/etc" to get you to the airport since there's no AI traffic to deal with.

I hope this helps a bit.
VNAF Aerobatics Commanding Officer and Founder - - - YSAS Member - - - YS Aerobatic Pilot
YS ACC A-10 East Coast Demo Team pilot - - - B-1B Razor Demo Team pilot
VFA-49 GhostHawks Commanding Officer

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:23 pm

Oh and I forgot in my previous post the IFR alignment isn't all that accurate either.But it will at least get you lined up.
Image[/align=centre]

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:11 pm

Thank you so much for all the awesome advice and replies. Gunny, I am a little 'scared' to implement this flight path software you suggested. Looks complicated. :P

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:25 pm

The flight planner is not linked to the game (except map information) so playing with the planner will not effect the game in any way or your computer.Try it and if you have any questions about it PM me or post question here about it.
We encourage the inquiring mind here. :)
Image[/align=centre]

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Post by Flake » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Join one of our virtual ATC sessions.

Have you tried online play yet?

YSFlight has multiplayer you know!
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:49 pm

OfficerFlake wrote:Join one of our virtual ATC sessions.

Have you tried online play yet?

YSFlight has multiplayer you know!
Highly recommended.
Image[/align=centre]

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:16 am

August 10, 2013

Dear Gunny Sir;
I have downloaded the necessary programs/files...but, not being so computer tech-savvy, I do have a question. I don't understand where to copy and paste the application and pl files. Are you talking about going to the C-Drive, Programs, YS Flight and simply pasting them in there. Please help!
...and thanks, in advance, for your anticipated help and guidance.
Sincerely,
John
P.S.: And thanks to all the other experienced pilots (real or otherwise) for trying to help me out!

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:59 am

Yep just drop then into your ysflight folder and your done.Then just play around with the planner untill you feel confident about its us.
P.S. for a little add conveniance put a copy of the .exe on your desktop. :)
Image[/align=centre]

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:36 am

I am doing something wrong. I'm getting nothing!! :cry: I dropped the Nav.Planner folder into the YSFlight Folder under Programs in the C:/ Drive. I kept a copy of the exe-file on the desk-top...started the game...nothing out of the ordinary happened [no extra pop-up windows, no extra dialog box]...nothing!! :cry: Then I clicked on the exe-file on the desk-top and a small pop-up window came, selected the scenarios where I wanted the nav to work and clicked "okay"...box disappears...again...nothing!! :cry:

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:42 am

This is the error message I'm getting: "[Sat Aug 10 11:10:25 2013] -e: Cannot open scenery/aomori.fld. at script/navplanner.pl line 361."
...and my apologies...didn't understand your PM about PYTHON PLACEMENT. :?

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:25 am

Okay...hold your breath...I think I got it working. Many thanks!! :)

koshyajit
Rookie
Rookie

Post by koshyajit » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 pm

One last question...is this Navigational Planner supposed to be interactive with your flight...i.e., does it keep track of how much you've flown, how close you are keeping to the Trip Plan, etc. or is it just an FYI sort of thing for you to follow as you fly?
Mine is not interacting with my flight, btw. :cry:

Gunny

Post by Gunny » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Its not interactive.Your flight is based on its information but not tied to it.Its not a auto pilot.The flight times are projected based on the information you supply and is +- depending on how accurate your information is.Like an old programers saying goes (Garbage in = garbage out.).
Image[/align=centre]