[LINUX]Linux addon compatibility

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
rialobran
Favorite Aircraft: XP-55

[LINUX]Linux addon compatibility

Post by rialobran » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:14 pm

Hi all, I'm new to YSflight and have been enjoying it immensely on my windows desktop, but have been having some trouble installing addons on my small Linux netbook I use for travelling.

From what I can find using the search function on this website, the main issue is the use of backslashes rather than forward slashes, but after examining aircrafts_of_gac.lst, it appears all the file paths in this are already given in forward slashes, so I'm at bit of a loss as to what to do next. I also saw someone mention some bash scripts to convert addons for Linux usage, but I can't seem to find anything down that avenue...

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Re: Linux addon compatibility

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:35 am

Hi! I had the same issue, it was because the Linux filesystem is case-sensitive while Windows is not. One option to fix the problem would be to make a new FAT32 partition and put your YS stuff on that, then when you want to run YS it will use that partition and the filenames won't be case-sensitive. Another option you could try is getting the Windows .exe and using Wine to launch YS, though I'm not completely sure how that will turn out.
I make this website.

rialobran

Post by rialobran » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:36 am

Ah, good call. I'll set up a partition later. Would bulk renaming the .lst to lowercase and doing the same to the files it references work, or do they also reference files?

thanks

Eric
Senior Veteran
Senior Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Super Hornet

Post by Eric » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:47 am

I don't think bulk renaming would work, as the .DNM files often reference .SRF files, so you would have to find every single filename occurence and change it. Partitioning has been the most reasonable solution for many Linux YS pilots.
I make this website.

rialobran

Post by rialobran » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:58 am

OK, thanks for your help!

Stingx
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: ufo

Post by Stingx » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:05 pm

If you are talking about 2ch gac type aircraft, there is no easy way to make it compatible with Linux (unless you are okay with using windows exes via wine).

The way the dnms were designed makes them inconsistant with the way LinYS reads them. Until Soji updates ysflight to function with linux, you may have to manually edit the dnms.

stefano2015
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

Linux addon compatibility

Post by stefano2015 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:57 am

Good tips, thanks:)