Joystick Problem

Questions, comments, concerns, & fixes
Doggeh1
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: Harrier Jump Jet, Eurofighter Typhoon, Vulcan

Joystick Problem

Post by Doggeh1 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm having a problem with my joystick. Everything else works fine, but when I try to change my elevator by pushing the joystick down, there is barely any difference. Elevator going up is fine. Anyone have a fix for this or know what may be going wrong?

My joystick is a Logitech Attack 3.

decaff_42
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: SR-71 Blackbird

Joystick Problem

Post by decaff_42 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:12 pm

Try calibrating your joystick in YSFlight. I am not sure of the exact menu, but I know on the mac version there is a way to do so. I find my joystick sometimes gets a little loose over time, but not as bad as you are seemingly describing.
Check out my website YSDecaff for all my tutorials and addon releases.
Visit by Bitbucket page for Python codes: https://bitbucket.org/decaff42/

Civilian Aviation Server Flight Log

Doggeh1
Contributor
Contributor

Joystick Problem

Post by Doggeh1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:07 pm

http://gyazo.com/daed0fb15488a9a78cf2471f1cb24ad4

It's a problem with the joystick I think. Anyone know why when I apply the tiniest amount of force the joystick goes crazy?

waspe414
Staff
Staff
Favorite Aircraft: CH-136 Kiowa, Yak-130 Mitten

Joystick Problem

Post by waspe414 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:00 pm

I don't think the Windows calibration works when the Logitech Profiler is installed, but that's something to check.
Otherwise (if you use the Profiler), back up your Logitech Profiler settings, uninstall it, and run the default Windows calibration test (the Attack 3 and Extreme 3D Pro era Profiler doesn't have a calibration setting, strangely enough), then reinstall the Profiler.

Depending on how it's misbehaving, it could be poor calibration or, if it's an old stick, it's likely a potentiometer going, especially if it's not a linear change. My Extreme 3D Pro went funny after four of five months of regular use. Technically it's possible to correct, but it requires opening the potentiometers and is not a longterm solution.

Your best bet is to calibrate it, figure out exactly what the output is doing relative to the stick movement (where the spikes are and such), and seeing if it's tolerable for flight. And if not, getting a different stick.
Actual UltraViolet
Image Image
I stole your turnip. Now you must come and defend your honour. ~ Hank Green

Doggeh1
Contributor
Contributor

Joystick Problem

Post by Doggeh1 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:23 pm

waspe414 wrote:I don't think the Windows calibration works when the Logitech Profiler is installed, but that's something to check.
Otherwise (if you use the Profiler), back up your Logitech Profiler settings, uninstall it, and run the default Windows calibration test (the Attack 3 and Extreme 3D Pro era Profiler doesn't have a calibration setting, strangely enough), then reinstall the Profiler.

Depending on how it's misbehaving, it could be poor calibration or, if it's an old stick, it's likely a potentiometer going, especially if it's not a linear change. My Extreme 3D Pro went funny after four of five months of regular use. Technically it's possible to correct, but it requires opening the potentiometers and is not a longterm solution.

Your best bet is to calibrate it, figure out exactly what the output is doing relative to the stick movement (where the spikes are and such), and seeing if it's tolerable for flight. And if not, getting a different stick.
I have a backup stick. A Microsoft Sidewinder 2 for Windows 7. Would anyone know how to get it working with YS? Doesn't recognise automatically ATM.

Flake
Core Staff
Core Staff
Favorite Aircraft: Boeing F/A-18A

Joystick Problem

Post by Flake » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:40 am

Are your drivers up to date? Windows could be misreading the joystick because it doesn't understand how to use it.

It could be a physical/electronic failure in the stick itself as well, so try option A first.
I am an accountant working full-time (and some). I'm not here as often as I would like to be. Send a message if you need me. There are a few people in the community who can get in contact with me urgently if you need - don't be afraid to ask. I just don't check here as frequently as I used to. Sorry!

farjad
Favorite Aircraft: F-27

Joystick Problem

Post by farjad » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:00 pm

It happens to me, when I use mouse as joystick for a while and then come back or change the usb port. All you need to do is go to Options Menu > Joystick/key assignment. click on set default key and buttons but my joystick is not primary joystick1. In the next menu you will see select your joystick id or give a full circle. Once you give a full joystick circle, the said matter is resolved.

NavyGator
Veteran
Veteran
Favorite Aircraft: Prop-Driven civil

Joystick Problem

Post by NavyGator » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 pm

Mine bothers me now and then too. And I still use the keyboard.
Once in a while it says that the stick sensitivity is at 0.25.
Does anybody know how to get that to change back.

Gunny
Business Class Membership
Business Class Membership
Favorite Aircraft: Any thing with a prop.

Joystick Problem

Post by Gunny » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Try going to your ys joystick assingments and set elevator dead zone to zero.Some times ys is at cross purposes to the manufacturers software and even windows programing.
Image[/align=centre]