acf492 dropping by to say hi (3 years later)

Introductions, birthdays, and special announcements.
acf492
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: 737

acf492 dropping by to say hi (3 years later)

Post by acf492 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:40 am

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say hi. Three years have passed since my last login to YSFHQ. That represents a shift from very depressed in 2012 to extremely depressed in 2015, and it hasn't been getting better.

I've been diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD) and I've experienced several suicide attempts and stays in hospital. Needless to say, I probably will never be able to get through my IMSAFE checklist again, let alone being able to renew my long-expired aviation medical certificate.

Yesterday I found some funny videos of chaotic multiplayer silliness and some of the scenes made me laugh. Given what I am going through, it was very therapeutic, if only for 10 minutes. You're the only friends I still have with aviation experience so I came back just to share those videos.

When I think of topics that represent long-lost dreams of mine, it is bittersweet. On one hand, I love aviation and always will. On the other hand, I hate being reminded of how my life has derailed so horribly, so it can be hard to enjoy things like flight simulators or talking about aviation with people.

There is no way to know if I will recover to the point where I enjoy using Ysflight again. As such, I may continue to be absent from the community. All I can do is keep attending my therapy appointments and taking my medication.
I'm back.

MrFunnybone
Contributor
Contributor
Favorite Aircraft: UFO

Re: acf492 dropping by to say hi (3 years later)

Post by MrFunnybone » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:04 am

Great to see you here man. The fact that you're still here is testament to what you can accomplish, and while it sounds like life hasn't been kind I assure you things can get better. While I never met you on here, I also understand how real life gets in the way of our passions and how depression can really sap away our motivation to maintain our hobbies and personal relationships.
I've been absent from this community for a long time as well, and I stopped playing online about 4-5 years ago. But I've still never forgotten the people and experiences, and since moving on to bigger more popular games, I have still never come across a closer community than YS. It feels like home.